Most of you know me from my numerous threads helping people place their TBs when they retire from the track. I am in a bit over my head right now and need to place one of my homebreds. He is a 5 year old, 15.2 hand bay gelding. He has a club foot that has a broken coffin bone in it that the vet says will not heal but is not bothering him. He has a glue on shoe on it at the moment and is sound. He is green but has a great mind. He has been used as a pony and as a beginner lesson horse. He has done some trail riding and was good for that as well.
I had planned on giving him the winter off to see if he grew some more wall and could then have a nail shoe put on. I figured that would make him more easily adoptable. The farm owner just jacked the prices way up on me out of the blue and now he has to go. I hate to say it but I am even considering euthanasia.
He is in Bel Air Maryland. I can deliver and would take him back if he doesn't work out. Please spread the word.
Thanks everyone! I found what sounded like the perfect home for him but its in Oklahoma. Not sure if I can get him there without my credit card bursting into flames. I will see what the uship quotes look like.
Do you personally know the person taking him? Are you confident he will be fine? I'd hate to send my horse so far without being able to check things out first. Hoping you do know the person and that Ray has indeed found a permanent home.
No I don't know her personally but she is on the my "fans" on my McDowell Racing Stables facebook page. I am taking a leap of faith but do feel confident about it. They need him to be able to eat carrots and be petted. Pretty sure he can do that even if the foot doesn't hold up! She is paying half the shipping as well which is a good sign I think.
If things don't improve soon they will all have to go. This one is the least painful of them all as he is done racing and is ready to go on to something else. I do have them prioritized in order of "go" so as we get farther down the list it gets harder. The last two would be like cutting my heart out. Hopefully it never gets to that but with a daughter in college and another in high school, soon to be in college, play time is over. Ray's little sister is getting close to her first race, she could save the day for all of them if she lives up to even part of her potential.
I had a bunch of nice horses in training at the farm but had to turn them away because the farm owner did not winterize the track this year and it was unusable. I could not charge for a job I was unable to do. The other trainer at the farm took all her horses out too for the same reason. So today the farm owner totally jacked the prices on my field board/self care horses to make up some of that lost income. So I lose most of my income thanks to him and have to pay more for it. That is why Ray has to go.