The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Docbarthunder Guest

Question Treating a torn tendon or ligament

I have a pony with a hurt leg, The vet believes its a torn ligament below the fetlock.
    Any home remedies? He needs time obviously. But what about treatments.

Completely depends on the severity of the tear (strain or severe core tear?) and location (tendon, ligament, which one(s)).

Did the vet do diagnostics to confirm a tear (ultrasound, MRI)? Because you can't treat anything until you know what/where it is.

There's PRP, stem cell therapy, surgical debridement, tendon sheath injections, and I'm sure lots others that I am missing. You can also do simple stall rest/rehab. As I said, it all depends on the severity and location.

Docbarthunder Guest

Hes getting an ultrasound soon, and it was torn...then semi-healed and then retorn (all before i got him) and its a torn ligament.

Home remedies? Rest, ice, proper hoof care, sensible rehabilitation, and time.

But first it really helps to have a firm, anatomical diagnosis. "Torn ligament" is too broad a term to really be able to prognosticate or outline optimal therapy, which ought to be your vet's job anyhow.
    Click here before you buy.

if it's a ligament below the fetlock, perhaps straight or oblique sesamoideans?
    Boy, do I have experience with THAT. Severe core tear of the straight sesamoidean turned my horse into a pasture ornament.

Good luck!

I believe bone marrow or PRP may really better your chances. Depends on what you are dealing with. To start rest, cold hosing and or ice and possibly NSAID's.

Depending on exactly what ligament, etc., you may also want to do shockwave (not a "home" remedy, but...). Shoeing recommendations may be made as we..

Ligaments, unfortunately, take a very long time to heal properly. You will to recheck in a few months on ultrasound before reintroducing real turnout and more exercise; until then you will probably be looking at stall rest or very small paddock turnout, handwalking, walking under saddle, etc.

But agree with everyone else; you need to know what and where first!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by Docbarthunder View Post
    Hes getting an ultrasound soon, and it was torn...then semi-healed and then retorn (all before i got him) and its a torn ligament.

there are a bunch of ligaments below the fetlock that all tie into the navicular bone.

If your vet does not know which one it is this means that a tear was most likely not even found/seen/diagnosed? It's just a whopping guess?

this is the first issue.
    you need exact diagnostic results to know how to treat, continue and start rehab.

PRP, stem cell, all those good things are totally useless for you at this point as you don't know exactly where the hole is.
    therapeutic ultra sound is best I guess. I suppose just treat the entire "below the fetlock" region?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Yes, you need to know which tendon/ligament and how bad the damage is.

My gelding partially tore his deep digital flexor tendon and has been on stall rest (well, in a stall with small run for the last two months...) for a total of three months. Vet is to evaluate his progress next Monday. He recommended nothng more than rest and hand-walking, with stem cell or shockwave as a backup if he did not improve. Horse is doing fine, so we're getting through the recovery without expensive therapies. So far.

YMMV.

I have used theraputic ultra sound in treating ligament issues for both my horses and myself. The machine cost less than $100.00.

A few years ago I started one of mine on SmartTendon Repair, as well as rest a treatment for a small tear. Was told to exoect several months (3-4) before starting work, but when we did an ultrasound at 2 months was declaired healed and ready to work. Since then, I have used SmartTendon when in heavy training or after any competition, and no problems since.
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique