The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grunting when lunging, but not coughing...

I feel like a newbie for asking this, but I swear, this is the first time I've encountered this.

I just bought a new TB gelding as a hack/re-rider/kids mount. He was a steal because the people got him on trade and really had no use for him and it just so happened their kids know mine and.....well, you know how it goes.

So he's been here since Friday, and we've done a few bareback pasture rides and I've leadlined him with the kids, both of which he's handled like a champ.
    Today I decided to try lunging him just to see how he did (I wasn't sure if he had ever even been lunged) and he picked up what I wanted from him very quickly (although he definatly favors one direction) however at anything faster than a walk he grunts. ...like with every single breath/step. It goes faster when we speed up the trot to a canter, and slows down when we go back to an extended trot, then a slow one.
    I read that grunting with coughing could be caused by an allergy to dust but there is no coughing. I even took him for a mile walk afterwards just to observe (for both that and anything that might spook him on the trail).
    Is he just horribly out of shape? I think I make that sound when I try running (or anything really physically challenging for that matter <grin>)
    Thoughts?
    Does he just need more conditioning or does this require more evaluation by someone other than me?
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

Is he roaring? Or just making a breath sound with each stride?

Grunting each stride is odd. My OTTB will grunt from time to time when I ride him. He like to voice his opinions to me about what he is doing especially if its hard.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Well geez....now I do feel like a newbie because I've never actually heard a roarer (although I've heard OF it) in real life.
    Apparently all of my current horses are boring....

A little googling and research, and that's not the right sound...his is actually on the exhale, not the inhale (I'm pretty sure, I'll have to test this tomorrow during session II) and it's deep and low, not high pitched at all.
    Katherine
    www.piattfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    My OTTB will grunt from time to time when I ride him. He like to voice his opinions to me about what he is doing especially if its hard.
    My TB gelding does this too when he feels the work is hard. He's 16 as of two days ago and had nearly 50 starts, so now he thinks life should be about hanging out in the field with his pals. It's definitely not every stride though.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    My TB gelding does this too when he feels the work is hard. He's 16 as of two days ago and had nearly 50 starts, so now he thinks life should be about hanging out in the field with his pals. It's definitely not every stride though.
    Mine is 20 as of 2 days ago. Whenever we did a hack class, he would always do his grunting sneezing right by the judge to say hey look as me. One of my friends once was trying to take a nap on my tack trunk, but told me Noah was making so much noise that she couldn't go to sleep. He is very vocal.

OP, hmm could you get a video or sound clip of him doing it and post it? That may help us to identify whats going on with him.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

An excuse to use my iPhone video? gee....I guess i can manage that! <grin>
    It's even a non windy day.

Thanks for your assistance!
    Katherine
    www.piattfarms.com

When it is cold out and I ride my horse he does this. I think its cold air he's breathing in and exhaling out.

Mine does this in the summer when he's tired or its too hot.

I'd call the vet, let us kow what he says!

I had one who was a roarer and had tie back surgery done. He would make a grunting noise as he exhaled when having to "exert" himself (which could be anything from rolling to a lead change!) and it was much more obvious in an indoor or when he was unfit. I had him re-scoped and all was well so we just chalked it up to maybe a bit of scar tissue build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Piatt Farms View Post
    Well geez....now I do feel like a newbie because I've never actually heard a roarer (although I've heard OF it) in real life.
    Apparently all of my current horses are boring....

A little googling and research, and that's not the right sound...his is actually on the exhale, not the inhale (I'm pretty sure, I'll have to test this tomorrow during session II) and it's deep and low, not high pitched at all.
    I had a two year old do this when he had an upper respiratory infection. It was sort of like laryngitis. Might be worth having the vet check him. Mine was scoped and his vocal cords were swollen. He was put on dexamethasone for the swelling.

I've had horses who did the grunt and groan thing when first warming up. It's Horsey-speak for "my nose tickles, but I'm so bored with this I can't even blow."
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Piatt Farms View Post
    I feel like a newbie for asking this, but I swear, this is the first time I've encountered this.

I just bought a new TB gelding as a hack/re-rider/kids mount. He was a steal because the people got him on trade and really had no use for him and it just so happened their kids know mine and.....well, you know how it goes.

So he's been here since Friday, and we've done a few bareback pasture rides and I've leadlined him with the kids, both of which he's handled like a champ.
    Today I decided to try lunging him just to see how he did (I wasn't sure if he had ever even been lunged) and he picked up what I wanted from him very quickly (although he definatly favors one direction) however at anything faster than a walk he grunts. ...like with every single breath/step. It goes faster when we speed up the trot to a canter, and slows down when we go back to an extended trot, then a slow one.
    I read that grunting with coughing could be caused by an allergy to dust but there is no coughing. I even took him for a mile walk afterwards just to observe (for both that and anything that might spook him on the trail).
    Is he just horribly out of shape? I think I make that sound when I try running (or anything really physically challenging for that matter <grin>)
    Thoughts?
    Does he just need more conditioning or does this require more evaluation by someone other than me?
    they grunt when they unfit - but just keep an eye on him if he starts coughing then it could be a dust allergy

you need to do more work in a slower pace and work him on the lunge 20mins 10mins each side so you build him up into an hours work work in walk then trot then mix it
    as hes unfit