The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Fleeceworks Pad sliding all over???

I have a Fleeceworks pad for my jumping saddle (I do love that pad!) but it always seems to slide back everytime I use it. I fasten the appropriate velco straps pretty tight, yet the pommel ends up with hanging over the front of the pad.

Am I doing something stupid or do I need a non-slip thing? And where would I get one of those? And what are they called? Does it go between the saddle and pad or the horse and pad?

May be stupid questions, but I pretty much shelved the jumping tack because I was getting miffed with the expensive pad not cooperating.

TIA!
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

LBM,

in my experience, when a pad is shifting a lot, it's usually not the pad, it's the saddle fit or saddle placement.

do you have a pic of the saddle and where you are placing it on the horses back?

lots of folks put them too far forward and the shifting happens as the saddle settles back to where it should have been originally placed.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

could also try using a slightly damp chamois under the pad to help keep things in place.. plus make sure saddle isn't too far forward over the withers/shoulders

are you using it directly against the horse or over a saddle pad? Mine tends to move a lot more when I have a saddle pad under it. So I started just putting it directly next to my horse's back.

Its just the pad and saddle, nothing under it. I will try to move the saddle back a bit and see if that helps.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    LBM,

in my experience, when a pad is shifting a lot, it's usually not the pad, it's the saddle fit or saddle placement.

do you have a pic of the saddle and where you are placing it on the horses back?

lots of folks put them too far forward and the shifting happens as the saddle settles back to where it should have been originally placed.
    Ayup. +1

G.