The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rambo Duo liners under Rhino Wug, Dover Northwind, other brands?

A friend of mine quite accurately described geldings turned out together as being akin to a frat house. Boy, was she on-par with that analogy! So the gelding needs (another) new blanket, as his 100g blanket is starting to join the ranks of his 180g (which was already on the list for replacement) due to tears from rough-housing frat boys. *Sigh*

Tired of it, Dover actually has a pretty good sale catalog right now, and they have the Rhino Wug Lite for $130. Since I now have to replace TWO blankets for him, I'm strongly considering the Rhino Wug, and just getting various weight liners to put underneath. That way, once the Rhino eventually gets torn (which will hopefully be a while), I'll only have to replace that part. Plus it's a color I like (bonus).

How well do liners (Rambo Duo, Schneiders, or other) work under the high neck of the Rhino Wug?

Alternatively, how well do liners work under a Dover Northwind? Also an option...

And then there's the part of me screaming against the mess of layering!

Help, please?

ETA Another option about which I had forgotten: Liners under a Turtleneck sheet (1680D)...
    How well do the Rambo Duo liners work under other brands of sheets?
    Last edited by pattnic; Jan. 3, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

If the damage is caused by one horse destroying the other horse's blanket (as opposed to self destruction), maybe a cheaper sheet OVER the nice blanket will help?

I used to put a schneider liner under a high neck rhino sheet of some variety in moments of stall bound desperation (as other blankets dried off), but ss liners need leg straps and this sheet only had that rear butt strap and 2 belly straps so you couldn't count on the liner to stay put in even moderate movement. Buthte high neck was fine - I've used the same liner under a weatherbeeta sheet and a high neck schneiders rug. It just needs leg straps.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I love my gelding's rhino wug.. the only thing with layering is that the leg arches go above the bottom of the amigo stable blanket i put under it in some places.. so the stable blanket goes lower than the turnout.. it doesn't seem to cause much of in issue though, i never notice it getting wet or yucky. I had a northwind too, until my guy grew out of it, and i layered the same amigo blanket under it. the northwinds are awesome because dover had the replacement policy if they rip

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    If the damage is caused by one horse destroying the other horse's blanket (as opposed to self destruction), maybe a cheaper sheet OVER the nice blanket will help?
    Definitely inflicted by another horse... but I only have so many dollars, and even replacing a cheap sheet every couple weeks to a month gets expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I used to put a schneider liner under a high neck rhino sheet of some variety in moments of stall bound desperation (as other blankets dried off), but ss liners need leg straps and this sheet only had that rear butt strap and 2 belly straps so you couldn't count on the liner to stay put in even moderate movement. Buthte high neck was fine - I've used the same liner under a weatherbeeta sheet and a high neck schneiders rug. It just needs leg straps.
    So... can I just add leg straps, or is it that dealy-job with the slots for the leg straps from the top layer to go through? Can't remember... but I have a feeling it's the latter...
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

If you don't mind sets of leg straps, I believe the SSTack liners now have d-rings to attach legstraps to. They don't come with leg straps, though; you'd need to buy a set. Otherwise they are the kind of liners that have a slot through which you run the over-blanket's leg straps.

Personally, I would think a high neck outer sheet/rug would work great with a liner as it would keep the wet far away from the liner. However, I've read many threads here that state the Rhinos just don't hold up like the Rambos--different material. I think if I were concerned about damage I'd be trying the Dover Northwinds because they are a higher denier than both Rhino and Rambo and they have a good replacement policy.

it's the latter, butif cmd is right, and they have d rings now...

(PS - you are supposed to get a cheap used sheet ... hint hint ... and if they are anything like mine, "cheap" isn't nearly as fun to destroy as "expensive")
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Used is awesome, assuming the size needed is available!

well if someone had first pick...

It still needs to be brought in! And on a Saturday.

I have been putting Duo liners under my Rambo sheets and midweight Wugs for 2 seasons now. Works like a charm. I have 100g's and 200g's for the liners, and just mix and match as I please

And for the blanket chewer in the herd, I once applied Chew Stop to the rump area (which is where he always grabbed before my senior guy could get away) and all it took was spraying that stuff on 1 time and he stopped.

You'd probably be okay putting the Duo liner under other blanket/sheets -- with the wug, it won't have the dees to attach the liner to at the front/neck, but you'd be able to attach the liner back snaps to the tail strap dees on the outer blanket. Should work okay and not shift. I have some older Rambo stable blankets that I use as liners and I did a similar thing -- used bit snaps to attach the back dees together and never had any issue with shifting.

For the blanket eaters, I've had good luck with rubbing the outside with stinky Irish Spring soap, but sometimes since they kind of just bite and run, no amount of antichew will dissuade the diehard ripper.

I know a lot of people love their Rambo Duos, but personally I can't stand the hassle of the liner being attached to the shell. I find it to be a huge PITA. I much prefer using stable blankets or cheaper t/o's (an Amigo for example) under a tough t/o blanket. Also, if I were buying a t/o sheet for this purpose, I don't think I'd choose a Rhino. Don't get me wrong, I love my Rhino blankets and sheets, but I don't feel like they'd hold up well to really tough t/o antics. I'd go for a Rambo Wug Lite, the Northwind or a Bucas Smartex sheet.

I have a couple of young hooligans who spend a lot of time trying to disrobe one another. The ONLY blanket that they have not put a mark on is the Pessoa 2100 denier. GREAT blanket.
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Default Stay away from the Rhino big pattern plaid blankets

Rhino blankets are great, but they struck out with the big plaid pattern - blue, olive, and chestnut. The weave is really open with these larger plaids and snags on everything, as well as easily grabbed/torn by other horses, which is why it is usually priced really low. It might be fine for an occasional blanket in a well mannered turnout. I've had good luck with their smaller plaid fabric - navy and green. It holds up.

[QUOTE=horselesswonder;5329463]I know a lot of people love their Rambo Duos, but personally I can't stand the hassle of the liner being attached to the shell. I find it to be a huge PITA. QUOTE]

I use the Duo liners under Amigo sheets and blankets and the dees don't seem to line up with the neck attachments, so I don't use them! I wish I could, because I'd think keeping them attached would mean I could treat it as a single blanket instead of liner on, then blanket on.

I also used the Duo liner under my Dover Dominick sheet and I attached the spring snaps of the liner to the leg straps of the sheet, it worked fine.

I use a liner under my older Rambos (10 years old) and it stays like a charm, it doesn't have to be attached to anything and stays on great. All the liner has is one belly strap no leg straps (its an older (8 years) Riders International liner) this system works great for my horse.

I bought two Rambo Wug Lites this fall as well as two liners for each. After two days of using the liners under the Wugs it became clear it wouldn't work for us, the liner kept sliding down and would be hanging half off my gelding the next morning. Of course it was then it decided to go from 50 degrees to TEN degrees so I was stuck either next day shipping something or trying to find something that worked in town. I went to a farm supply store and bought cheap Weaver stable blankets to put under their Wugs. It's been two months now and we've had no slipping rubbing or shifting! Awesome! And cheap!!

Eddy's Mom, do your liners attach at the shoulders and at the back with the tail strap?

The optimo liners, which also fit the california turnout, fasten at the front of the chest, on both sides at the shoulders, and on both sides at the tail with the tail strap. So they do not slide off.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Eddy's Mom, do your liners attach at the shoulders and at the back with the tail strap?

The optimo liners, which also fit the california turnout, fasten at the front of the chest, on both sides at the shoulders, and on both sides at the tail with the tail strap. So they do not slide off.
    Same with the Duo liners. And as I mentioned, as long as I can attach the back part to the outer blanket, I've not had it slide around.

I've also used stable blankets as liners, and since they have the belly band/surcingle and perhaps their own leg straps, that usually keeps things upright. But I hate having extra straps hanging down. Esp if you have barn help doing anything with the blankets -- I try to keep it simple as not everyone gets the right things fastened, etc.

I had the liner fastened to the Wug at the back, but somehow it was still sliding down. Don't ask, the one gelding it was worse on could probably hang himself with twine if given the chance.

The stable blanket I am using has one surcingle under the stomach, but I cut off the leg straps. No problems on either guy and it's been two months now of mostly 24/7 blanket-wearing turnout.