The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Pine Top side of Atlanta, GA

Default Running lights working but not my brake or blinker lights...

...on my 2000 sundowner gooseneck trailer. Wondering if could be the fuse or would it be a problem in the wiring or both?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Well you would certainly start by checking the fuse, but a blown fuse generally indicates a problem in the wiring........they don't blow theirselves.
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

The first thing I'd try is spraying your plugs with WD-40 to displace any water. One time I was hauling some horses locally and any time I turned on my turn signal, the brakes would engage- lotsa fun! I unhooked the electrical to the trailer (I had plenty of truck to stop the trailer without trailer brakes) and when I got home I sprayed all the connections with WD40- problem solved.

ETA- Another thing you can try is hooking the trailer to another truck. If everything works, then it's your truck and not the trailer with the problem.

SE Mass

Something in the wiring connection. Could be the plug as shakey tails mentioned, or it could be the wire itself. I had mice chew through a few of my wires, and I had running lights, but no brake lights or brakes. Loads of fun to drive to the repair shop.

Check the metal pieces inside of the plug, make sure they are centered and not bent one way or another. Might be as quick of a fix as straightening them with a flat head screw driver if they are bent.

That just happened to my trailer. I don't have the time to mess with it, and took it to the garage.
    A wire on the truck connecting the trailer lights had rusted out.

Before I brought it, I did check fuses. But, do you know how many of those suckers there are??
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld