The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swimming your horse for fitnes. Anyone ever built a swimming pool? :-) (spin off)

The thread over in dressage about "what you try to harness", took on the direction of swimming, passaging in water, harnessing that passage, and taking it to the shore. Made me think about swimming therapy.

There is a place nearby where I could swim my horses. I've heard great things about swimming and conditioning, but it is a huge turn off that the owner is a bit of a flake. Kind of makes me want to built my own pool. LOL

Heck, people build water jumps every day. How about a swimming pool? Anyone ever built one?

swimming a horse as a means of cross training isn't ideal because it works the opposite muscles that you are trying to develop when you ride. Riding builds topline and horses invert and drop their backs when they swim. However, it is great for building cardiovascular fitness.
    We have an aquatread which uses the same muscles that you use when you ride and actually encourages horses to work in a more correct and thorough environment. Unlike when you ride, a horse can't leave on your hands, get behind the bit, not be forward, etc. In the aquatread the water provides the back to lift and stomach muscles to be tight, the treadmill works the horse forward and lifts the topline. Most horses will actually align themselves better than a chiropractor can do while strengthening the muscles necessary to hold those adjustments.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Holy Mac, alteringwego! You are one lucky dawg to have one of those aquatreads!! They are so NOT cheap (or really even affordable!). I want to be you!

we are VERY lucky! And we LOVE our aquatread! The results are far more amazing than I ever could have imagined!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."