The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default highest calorie feed

What is the highest calorie, easily digestible feed that you use for an old (26yrs) geezer horse?

My coming 25 yr old is looking great on Seminole Wellness Senior. It's about 10% fat, high fiber, herbs, beet pulp based. Instead of adding more feed, I've added Nutrena Empower which is 22% fat. He gets 1 lb of the Empower morning & night & it helps keep his weight on. Of course he's a great big old style Hanoverian & has never been a hard keeper.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Mine does best on Ultium. Didn't do at all well on senior feed, is a bit "meh" about Strategy, and the same about beet pulp. But ultium, rice bran and alfalfa hay, and he's maintaining his weight and doesn't take so long to eat it all that the others steal it off him before he's finished. (He does not wish to eat alone. He's also 26, so I do what I can to accomodate his desires!)

Any good high-fat feed should be fine, along with excellent hay, beet pulp, or soaked alfalfa cubes. I personally second the Seminole Senior, but Triple Crown Senior and Ultium are also good choices.

Fibregized Omega, Triple Crown Senior or Training, Seminole LS Performance, Ultium, every brand has one.

Dynamite grain is the highest I know of, at 1700 cal/lb. I think I read somewhere that Ultium is also in that range. I'm sure there may be 1 or 2 more, probably some "training" or "high performance" type feed.

However, it's not just about calories. You don't necessarily have to have anything above 1500 cal/lb, and there are a good many of those. You want higher fat most likely, *quality* protein, and easy digestibility. You might start looking at Triple Crown Sr.

You could also look at a ration balancer (ie TC 30) and adding several pounds, as necessary, of alfalfa pellets and/or beet pulp, even some rice bran for some more fat.

TC Training has 1890/#. For as many calories per lb it has, its pretty low in NSC at 22.4%. I've added it to my TB's ration and mix it in with his TC Senior. It's been a month and his coat is spectacular with deep dapples, which is normal but I don't think he's ever looked so good post clipping. Most importantly, he's not getting hot - which is a big issue with most grains. Goes through the roof on most grains.

Our elderly boarder horse lost weight on TC Senior. Bloodwork and everything showed nothing out of the norm, so we decided to tinker with his feed. We switched him to Legends Performance and he could actually lose some lbs now (but I like them fatter in winter). The only thing we switched was the grain, and he gets less of the Legends then he did the TC.

His teeth are worn to nubs, but he has been doing great on it - and I've had less incidents of choke (we had to soak the TC Senior to the point of totally drinkable).

I created this PDF a few months ago to help analyze some of the more common and popular feeds available. The "Mcal" column may be of use for you. www.hphoofcare.com/FeedValues.pdf

I've used TC Senior in the past for my guys and they did well on it. I also like the TC Complete. I did try the TC Training formula this past summer, but my horses wouldn't eat it. They picked at it for a bit then left most of it. It does have a little bit different smell to it, so maybe they didn't care for the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I created this PDF a few months ago to help analyze some of the more common and popular feeds available. The "Mcal" column may be of use for you. www.hphoofcare.com/FeedValues.pdf

Thank you, that is helpful.

Right now I have him on TC Senior, he is not fat. He has good teeth. He is retired, gets resonable hay (I board so do not have hay control) I was looking for extra calories to try to plump him for the winter. Winter started early and really cold here.

You could also try adding corn oil to his feed to add a few more calories.

Hm, I think some of your values are a bit outdated Aventera - at least the MCals according to recent literature and what I've gathered from feed companies.

My finicky eater loves the Training - more so than the Senior, interesting...

Cocosoya is a great oil for calories a little expensive because of shipping but it worked great,also Tc training.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I personally second the Seminole Senior, but Triple Crown Senior and Ultium are also good choices.

FYI for Seminole newbies, there's Seminole senior and seminole wellness senior. Big difference in the two! (and 2 thumbs up for seminole wellness senior)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

There didn't used to be a huge difference in the Seminole Senior and Wellness Senior. Protein was a bit different (14% vs 12%), and the regular Senior doesn't have the herbs you can't show on. But they used to be pretty darned comparable.

I don't know, 14/7/16 vs 12/10/18 ranks as a significant difference to me, and the price, # mcal, NSC (IIRC from old conversation w/Seminole nutritionist) and top 5 ingredients are also not the same order or list, so I'm not sure I would count them as that similar. But that's just how I see it in my little corner of the world. YMMV.

As for the herbs, not one of the herbs is listed as a prohibited substance on USEF (can't speak for FEI) and the USEF guidance on herbs is a general guidance outside those with a known effect, it doesn't prohibit all herbs because not all herbs create a performance enhancing effect. And for what it is worth (not very much), I've known horses who consumed large quantities of senior wellness and have been tested. It's possible I own one or two of those horses. Could be I've just been lucky and USEF hasn't tested my horses for marjorm yet, but all in all, I think I'm safe.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

The Wellness Sr used to have Yucca in it. Yucca isn't allowed by USEF, last I knew.

They must have changed the fat in the regular Sr then. It used to be higher than 7%, unless the feed store told me incorrectly. Both feeds used to be beet pulp based as well.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Hm, I think some of your values are a bit outdated Aventera - at least the MCals according to recent literature and what I've gathered from feed companies.

My finicky eater loves the Training - more so than the Senior, interesting...
    FYI, I called Purina last week to find out how many calories Ultium has, and they told me 1900 cal/lb. I was feeding it to my picky 25 year old mare until recently (decided to put her on Buckeye's EQ8 Gut Health due to intermittent diarrhea issues secondary to her pergolide).

go on... find yucca on the list (actually, find any mention of yucca at all because it's possible both my eyes and search function are shot... well, my eyes are, but I think the search function still works)

http://www.usef.org/documents/drugsM...Guidelines.pdf

I don't believe regular sr has changed much since I stopped feeding it as soon as higher fat foods came out (before Wellness), and they are both beet pulp based, but it's more than just beet pulp to define a food.
    Last edited by DMK; Jan. 4, 2011 at 09:56 AM.