The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HDR Stress Free Bridle reviews?

I came across this one in my search for a cheap bridle. Has anyone used or seen one of these in person?
    http://www.legacytack.com/pc/11734/B...+8+Bridle.html

I'm trying to decide between this one and the Joseph Sterling comfort figure 8 at sstack.com, which is $100 but I think that one comes with reins.

TIA

bumping this up for one last look. Fingers crossed that someone has seen this bridle...

I haven't seen the bridle, but wondered if you had looked at the Rambo Micklem bridle?

I've used one for several months now and my horse finds it very comfortable:

http://www.williammicklem.com/multibridle.html
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Have a plain old HDR as a schooling bridle-maybe $85. It's OK for the price. Not the latest in stitching and color fads or most fashionable but it has lasted almost 10 years now-and nobody "borrows it", they go for the good stuff.

I was a gosh awful orange but I stripped and redyed it. It has stretched as most less expensive bridles do-and some real pricey ones can as well.

Overall, good value for $100 and under.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    I haven't seen the bridle, but wondered if you had looked at the Rambo Micklem bridle?

I've used one for several months now and my horse finds it very comfortable:

http://www.williammicklem.com/multibridle.html
    I have looked at the micklem, but I have had one of these for years: http://www.saddleshop.com/cgi-bin/sh...rchResult.html
    that looks to be very similar, except I'm sure the leather quality is lower on mine.

I have a beautiful black Passier bridle, but my saddle is brown and I like my tack to match. I know that's silly but I plan on getting a black dressage saddle in the near future so this would just be a cheapie schooling bridle in the interim. I like the way figure 8's look, and I also like to change nosebands/bits often so a horse doesn't get pressure points or desensitized from the same bridle. Probably also silly but I know I don't like wearing the same pair of shoes day in and day out no matter how well they fit.

Rotating bits is not at all silly and a great many good riders and trainers do it all the time. Most have a specific show bridle with a show bit in the mix but do not use it daily.

Make sure you look at the attachement points for the bits. Those various styles that allow easy switching sometimes really never allow precise adjustment for each type of bit as well as just using a dedicated (and inexpensive) headstall for each type of bit. Some bit types can require 2 or 3 holes looser or tighter in the mouth to work properly. If the easy switch bridles have a weak point, that's it. One size cannot really adjust to fit all.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.