The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Standing Martingale

Are there any circumstances where you would use one?

Yes - for showing in the hunters.

They're not legal for any phase of eventing competition. I know one person who trains in one (very long) just to avoid a broken nose from the odd head toss, but I'd just use a running all the time if it was me.

Quote Originally Posted by barnmaven View Post
    Are there any circumstances where you would use one?

Often have used them when starting a green horse......I like my nose.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Often have used them when starting a green horse......I like my nose.
    Me too. I don't like using a running on a very green horse.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Me too. I don't like using a running on a very green horse.
    Agree.

Green horses.

Hunter classes. Gwen + Pelham + standing martingale = big, shiny ribbons in the 2nd year greens!

I would also pull mine out if I had a horse that flung its head and needed to un-learn that habit. But I wouldn't really care to go XC on a horse without unfettered range of motion of its neck.
    Click here before you buy.

I used one on an OTTB that thought she was a giraffe. I also wanted my nose to stay the same.

Running martingales exert a small but constant pressure on the reins.

Standing martingales are neutral until you need one.

Now, when I hunt I use a running. But I use it for a different reason .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'll put them on a kids horse if I think I'm going to need a handle. Many of my kids learn to trot in hand or if I need to lead them over poles or they're doing no-reins type exercises.

Its a throwback to learning to ride in a hunter barn. Everything went in a standing and we used them to lead kids around without having to tug on the reins.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-a...90_6771794.jpg

But lunge the horse first-some horses take great exception the first few times they come up against one. Usually if they are tossing their head that much, they are on the excitable side anyway....

I like your nose a lot, so just sayin'- keep it cute baby!

No. If I feel I need to protect my nose, I will use a running.

Quote Originally Posted by annikak View Post
    But lunge the horse first-some horses take great exception the first few times they come up against one. Usually if they are tossing their head that much, they are on the excitable side anyway....

I like your nose a lot, so just sayin'- keep it cute baby!
    I like my nose tool It's the only part of my body that doesn't need the services of a good plastic surgeon. I've sported several black eyes, as you know, my sunglasses have both caused and covered up the evidence. I think DH is getting tired of people looking at him weird.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    No. If I feel I need to protect my nose, I will use a running.

Running will do nothing to protect your nose. It doesn't stop the massive head fling. All a running will do is give you leverage with the bit on the bars of the horse's mouth when they put their nose above their ears.

A standing (fitted properly) blocks the effects of the flip and doesn't work on the horse's mouth. It releases automatically as soon as the horse corrects itself....unlike a running.

Often with a green horse...I will put it on when working them in hand first (on the lunge line or in a round pen) so I can make sure they don't panic when they first hit it. I keep it very loose..they will only hit it when really being wrong.

It also serves the added benefit of giving me a handle.

Some horses I've only used it a handful of times...others lived in them for a while.

I personally find it a more effective tool in training a green horse. A running is only something I use on a more educated horse.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Ok - coming from H/J world with my 'hunter' to event...and he's a greenish TB - I still use the standing while jumping or in an environment where he is likely to be 'up.' Mine will actually shake his head back & forth after I buckle the noseband, and if he hits the martingale he stops...if not, he flings his head around like a fool until I bop him on the nose. He will emulate this behavior U/S if he's being particularly naughty, then put his head straight up in the air. This doesn't happen often, but I like my nose and think it'd be foolish to forget this piece of tack when it a) works b)prevents injury. Dress for success. It's easy enough to take off (just tie it), and I prefer to 'add leg' & push him forward rather than argue with his face, which I think is actually the TB's goal....

I used one briefly--mare threw her head and gave me a concussion. Ouch! She wore a standing martingale on the lunge a few times, then for the next few rides. She hated it, but got the idea. Haven't used it since.