The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there a gas operated leaf blower

that will start for people like me?

I am leaf blower incompetent. My presence near one assures that blower will crank and crank and crank and do nothing.

I have an electric but I hate that my options are off, blow the concrete off teh barn aisle or blow the concrete and any underlying granite rock to Canada.

I just want to be able to LIGHTLY blow my barn aisle without creating a wind that will return Toto to Kansas.

Does such a beast exist?

Sure there are. Stihl makes one, for sure. I doubt they are less powerful than the electric kind, though.
    Click here before you buy.

Are you leaf blower gifted? Is that why it starts for you?

Just got one from Northern Supply, works great.

I have a light weight electric one and it has a low and high speed. I would have to check what brand it is. I don't like the fumes of the gas blower in the barn.

I have an electric one that I got at Home Depot with three speeds -- so you just need to be choosey when you pick a new one. I also couldn't handle the cranking of the gas powered one if I couldn't get it started in 1-3 pulls.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

My husband can't start a 2 cycle engine either.

There's a prime...prime it 5-10 times, set choke, place foot on it and yank the pull cord. (make sure the blower is set to the "on" position)

If it doesn't work, prime a few more times and try again. Usually a cold start takes a few pulls but I'm little and I can start one.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I got my Stihl backpack blower on the advice of my friends who have one and have had great luck with starting it. If I prime it correctly it almost always starts on the second pull. (The first pull is part of the priming process.) It also has a trigger that allows you to control how hard it's blowing.

I have a Black & Decker 18v rechargeable electric that I really like. It won't move concrete, but it gets the leaves off stuff, pine cones off the driveway, the crud out of the gutters, moss off the roof, etc. It's also nice and light weight.

I also have a chain saw, weed whacker and cultivator that all use the same batteries, so I can charge them all up and work for a couple hours.

Thanks for the suggestions!

We have a Husquevarna. That thing is like a one person hurricane! Love it. You have to remember to prime it on the first start, but let me tell you... It starts with one or two pulls when it's cold, and one pull when it's warm.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

LOL! That's why I don't own one, I can't get any weedeater (even the expensive ones) to start and stay running for me either!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I have a Black & Decker 18v rechargeable electric that I really like. It won't move concrete, but it gets the leaves off stuff, pine cones off the driveway, the crud out of the gutters, moss off the roof, etc. It's also nice and light weight.

I ended up getting this one and LOVE it!

It is PERFECT for blowing my barn aisle without BLOWING the aisle!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

I also have a chain saw, weed whacker and cultivator that all use the same batteries, so I can charge them all up and work for a couple hours.
    Brilliant! (Toddles off to check these out....)

The trick to getting a modern gasoline engine to start easily and run properly is to read and follow the instructions, especially regarding maintenance. You know, that little book that most people throw away with the packing material?

Most blowers have some form of speed adjustment. If not, the air intake for the blower can be partially blocked by, you guessed it, duct tape! Just make sure you don't overspeed the engine with the lightened load.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    The trick to getting a modern gasoline engine to start easily and run properly is to read and follow the instructions, especially regarding maintenance. You know, that little book that most people throw away with the packing material?
    The one we have neatly stacked in the work shed and is referred to often?

All of my equipment is maintained.

If you read my post I did not say the blower would not start-I said *I* can't do it.

Does it have a priming button? That and choking should make it start easily. Also make sure the oil-gas mixture is correct, as too much oil in the gas can quickly foul the plug.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

all ok....you could walk up right behind me and it would start.

I am not gifted but problem is solved!

Billy goat blowers are the best. I can always get ours started.