The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

If the pony ends up being oversized... over 14.2... and is around 15hh and up, i'd say go for a large junior hunter.. if the horse can do the 3'6"... or at least aim for a large junior hunter.. or green hunter.... or a small eq horse. just my 2 cents
    http://hubpages.com/profile/MeaghanTS
    Twitter
    @MeaghanTS
    @Onlyequine

Havent' read all the answers but I took my pony who decided she'd rather be 14.3hh once she growed up and turned her into a delightful little dressage horse. I have a blast on her at local shows and I've had more than a few offers for her, but I'm not ready to sell her yet, she's just too much fun. Some of the juniors here fight over who gets to ride her at hunter/jumper shows, since I rarely jump anymore myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

There are procedures that ARE a necessity for the safe future of a young horse that ARE changing the young horse but are also securing a safe future for the horse. If their legs are NOT corrected they have a hugely higher chance of ending badly. Doing what can be done to give a young horse a sound foot or legs in my mind are the responsibility of the breeder...if you DON'T do it you are irresponsible. PatO

I thought you just advertised them as "16H horse for sale."
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Guys, this thread is 2 years old. Please check dates before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Guys, this thread is 2 years old. Please check dates before posting.
    Oh comon! I was actually just thinking about this thread yesterday, no lie. And was wondering once again where are all the honies in the 14.3-15.1hh range.

So funny to see this resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbury Court View Post
    I thought you just advertised them as "16H horse for sale."
    This is brilliant, lol

1 members found this post helpful.

Well 14.3-15.1 makes a perfect lesson porse , who I think are the unsung heroes of the horse world and don't get near the respect that they should.

I much prefer "porse" to "hony".

Much like a porsche, a porse is compact, but with power and handles well especially in tight spaces!

5 members found this post helpful.

I have 5 in the barn in this range 1-TB, 2-QH, 1-TWH, 1-probably STB, (TB and TWH are mine) though none are for sale. None of them are fancy show horses, but they are a nice size and we have fun riding them.

Christa

I got the upgraded turbo porse, of course in RED!! (Chrome rear wheels as well)

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I have started dreaming again about my next dressage partner, a significant job change that might be coming might mean my dream hony will be in the near future. That said, my last shopping adventure turned up almost no ponies/horses in the 14.3-15.1hh range.

My question to pony breeders is, what do you do with your large ponies that go significantly oversized? Are there just not that many that happen? Do you not advertise? Do mares just go back into breeding programs to be bred to smaller stallions? I keep hearing about this huge risk of oversized ponies, but can't find any!?
    I have not had a chance to read all the replies so I am sure someone has already mentioned... you need to look at Connemaras. Many are large and go over official pony size. It is NOT a problem for our breed ( unless you are a hunter pony etc)

While we prize pony type in our animals and certainly size is part of that, we do not penalize size unless it makes an animal overly horsey detracting from it's Connemara type. Type is more important overall than size alone.

I believe Perfect Pony ended up with one with connie breeding but I could be wrong. I just sold a 15 hand welsh cob x tb cross and have a couple more 15 "handers" on the place (purebred welsh cobs). I know that welsh cobs are not PP's preference but that size of mount (cob) is out there and can be found with talent and a mind to boot. I have two 2012 filles. One will very likely hit the 15 hand mark and she is a very, very nice mover. The other is going to be a guessing game as to how tall she gets. Her sire is 15 hands, dam is 13 hands but at 8 months she is the same height as the dam. I'm already happy with her height but if she goes over I would be even happier. Fortunately for me, she is one of those "born broke" types. There are also many, many morgans for sale in that height range as well. That size range, at least in my experience, isn't all that elusive.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    I believe Perfect Pony ended up with one with connie breeding but I could be wrong. I just sold a 15 hand welsh cob x tb cross
    Oh you finally sold her? I hope she went to a fab home, she is cool!!

And yes, I ended up with a Connemara-Arabian who is around 14.2 right now at 4 years old, she may go oversize. It's more elusive than you think, at least around here. But I think part of it is because people tend to to misrepresent the size a bit, so how do you know?

She went to a fantastic home. My riding instructor kept saying that the right one would come along and they did. She's going back East and will be working with two (dressage & eventing) instructors/trainers that I actually know. Wished she could have stayed closer but a good home is far more important. I was prepared for it to take a year to sell her so 15 months to find a good fit isn't all that bad.

But I think part of it is because people tend to to misrepresent the size a bit, so how do you know?

Well that can be a challenge but I usually approach it one of two ways. If I don't know the person I let them know that I have a regulation stick and am a veterinarian. I ask them point blank if I use my stick how tall will so-and-so measure? If the hemming and hawing starts well then of course I know that the height may not be right and must choose whether or not it's worth it for me to pursue further. If I am at least acquainted with the person (seller) then I can usually identify a horse/cob known to both of us and ask how they compare. That often tells me more. At least with the breed I choose, I have a pretty safe bet that the beast will end up in my preferred height range. So in my little fishbowl aspect of the world I am not really looking for a needle in a haystack.

One of the last sight unseen purchases I did was of a pony advertised at 147 cm in height. She had a FEI pony card which gave me some assurance that there was no misrepresentation. I also had a vet I grew up with do the PPE. He knew me as a kid and he rides. He got on the pony and gave me his "feel". So again, I do the best I can to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting; but, it's the horse business so I understand that there are no guarantees. Really, breeding them and hoping to get what you want is more of a gamble; but, I'm pretty safe with the bloodlines I use.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I meant more how do you know or find them when shopping? Few seem to want to advertise 14.3-15.1, so you have to look at ponies and maybe get something big enough, or look at horses advertised bigger and based on pictures find the ones that are actually smaller. While shopping about 25%-50% of the ponies/horses advertised were the exact and correct height.

I recently inquired about a horse for sale and the owner said she was 15.2, her daughter that was riding her told me she was 16.2! I am not kidding. two emails about the same horse with the height a hand different...

At the end of the day I found the individual makes the ride. My current pony is only 14.2 and I think I look too big on her, but she feels HUGE. She has a good length of neck, a nice saddle position and a very well sprung rib-cage that takes up my leg and puts it in a nice position on her body. So riding her is very comfortable and I feel balanced. My last 14.2 pony was like riding a saw horse... a 2x4 with no head or neck.

I have a coming 3yo filly (March) who is 14.2 1/2 right now sired by a 15HH stallion out of a 14.1 HH mare. I ride her half brother who is also slightly over at 14.2 1/2.---he is sired by a 13.3HH stallion out of the same 14.1 HH mother. Sometimes its just difficult to estimate what height they will finish even knowing the bloodlines well. I keep a good stick in the barn, anyone who would like to measure a pony for themselves or watch me do it is welcome. I like to track their growth (height, weight, bone) anyway.

PP's pony is by my 14.1HH stallion out of a 15.2HH Arabian Sport Horse Mare. I would not expect her to grow a LOT more--but would not be surprised if her wither continued to come up with additional training.

My own pony (A Connemara) who will be eight in May was still developing his topline as late as last year. His wither is even more developed now as we've continued with our training--I should measure him (to be sure) but as an adult Im not eligible for pony classes so its really not that important to me. He is the right size whatever he is.

Its not uncommon at all to see young connemaras that are low withered/hip high--similar to a lot of cobs. If the wither comes up and you are level with the hip then I suppose your finished with my guy it took darn near 7 years to come level if not heading hair towards uphill. He is not the only one either--my intermediate eventer was 15.2 at age six when I bought him---at the peak of his fitness he was truly pushing 16.1 or better *around age 13years. He was not one you wanted to tool around on bareback however.

I meant more how do you know or find them when shopping? Few seem to want to advertise 14.3-15.1, so you have to look at ponies and maybe get something big enough, or look at horses advertised bigger and based on pictures find the ones that are actually smaller. While shopping about 25%-50% of the ponies/horses advertised were the exact and correct height.

I apologize if I did not explain myself clearly. Basically I find them and relatively easily because I stick with a breed or breeds who typically fall in this height range. I know the bloodlines and have a good idea of what they are before I inquire (as well as before I breed). I also have tended to acquire animals from people I know or through people I know so that usually the animals are honestly represented. I did purchase an arab mare who was advertised at 15 hands. Went to look at her for my daughter. She was clearly much smaller (measured 14 hands). She had been just backed and I got on. We (my husband and I) were so impressed with her mind that we purchased her for our son (who was younger and smaller than our daughter at the time). So I do understand the "problem" and have seen misrepresentation of height; however, it really hasn't slowed me down or affected my ability to find those around 15 hands or even those advertised at that height (look at the welsh cob ads, most have them advertised between 14.2 to 15.2). I also agree that build can affect whether a certain height is going to work for someone or not. I have no problem riding/competing on my 13 hand cob because he's built like a tank. As for goodpony's mention of downhill build and muscular development affecting height, that I've experienced too; but I'm afraid my downhill wonder at age 15 is still downhill but very close to being ready to compete at Intermediate so......again all things are relative <wink>.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Point taken exvet, and yes, that is why I started looking at large ponies and pony crosses, and more eventing breeders. They seemed to not mind breeding and owning the "honies". The hunter breeders and and horse dressage breeders were the worst offenders since their markets tend to (or tended to) want 16hh++.