The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scented things- anyone else dislike them?

I hate those scented plug in things you can buy. The scents always smell fake and nasty to me. Ditto with most scented candles. Being in a room with a lit one is enough to give me a headache.

My mother thinks I'm mad, and that they all smell lovely. She had a Yankee candle lit today when I visited her, and it was awful. Spiced cookie, or something. Just over sweet and sickly.

Don't get me wrong, some of the Yankee candles smell really nice. But that one was just nasty.

Anyone else find these scented things to be the work of the Devil?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I think my sixth sense is being able to smell chemicals.

HATE the plugins and almost all other forms of perfume from candles to lotion. So no, you're not alone...but other people think I'm crazy too for not liking them.

My father is this way. He gets a wicked headache from scented detergents, cologne, candles, incense, car air freshners etc, and will actually break out in a rash if his clothes are washed in scented laundry detergent. Consequently, growing up, I was only ever exposed to unscented detergents (mostly arm&hammer brand). When I went away to college, I remember thinking that the laundry room in the dorm smelled absolutely awful with all those "powder-fresh" smell detergents and laundry softeners. I still prefer unscented laundry detergent. Clean clothes don't have to have some cloying, artificial smell for me to know they're clean!

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

My BO has one in the bathroom. First time I went in there, I had an asthma attack. They are awful and a social faux pas as far as I am concerned. I need a gas mask.

I think they're kind of like High Fructose Corn Syrup for the nose.

Can't stand them.

Most of the plug-ins are way too strong. Once in a while I'll use them to refresh a room but then I turn them off after a few hours.

There are some new ones that are adjustable and supposedly emit a fragrance at a slower rate, but even those I find too strong.

I start to get a headache just walking past the candle shop at the mall!

When they first came out, I recall a few fires from the plug ins, and I loathe the smell of most of them, and most air fresheners are pukey too. And I always check out the scent of candles before I buy them-some are totally revolting and bear no resemblance to the flavor they're supposed to be. After I had a house fire I washed everything (bedding, clothes, linens) in Tide with Febreze, and not too long after that I had to rewash everything to get rid of that smell too. I hate Febreze. I also can only use Bounce hypoallergenic/unscented dryer sheets (I got sick of playing hunt the sock every time I did laundry).

I've also known people and animals to react very badly to the automatic spritz ones, since they can trigger allergic reactions or breathing problems in susceptible individuals.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Glad that it's not just me who hates them. I was starting to think I was mad for disliking them

Yuck on the plug-ins! I swear that oil gets stuck in my sinuses for days on end. Basically anything scented is intolerable - candles, lotions, potpourri. I hold my breath walking by Bath & Bodyworks stores. Instant headache!

Hate scented anything - some give me instant headaches or migraines, some close up my nose or throat or an all-out asthma attack.

LOL, my mom had bought one and stuck it in the dining room (we ate mostly outside though)

I walked through the room a few times, going crazy, trying to find the source of the 'public restroom' smell

The thing was set on low/mild, too, it stunk so bad! I unplugged it and parked it in the bathroom. It matched there much better and it didn't stink so bad without being plugged in.

But I seldom light a scented candle, and I am very picky about which I buy.

My SILs are all about the smelly detergents, smelly candles, plug ins etc...all the while using HUGE amounts of antibacterial stuffs and bleach....and wondered why their kids were sick a lot....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

They give me migraines and make my face break out in a rash. Of course even at the old office when I unplugged the stupid thing (and hid it) it would always end up plugged in again and set to high. GAH! New office, not so bad. Though, some ding bat did walk thru and sprayed WAY TOO much Lysol in to the air a week ago. Nevermind Lysol is a contact disinfectant and myself and the rest of the office gagged all afternoon. A few of us did have the pleasure of leaving with migraines.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

I can't stand them either! Seems like I always end up with a headache when I'm around all that smelly stuff.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I can't even stand walking through the baby stuff aisles at Target, let alone scented candels or plug-ins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I also have to mention the people who wear TOO MUCH perfume/cologne. Ask me why I just thought of this.

I don't know if it's always true, but I seem to run across more men with this problem. I hardly ever like the smell of men's cologne, though there are a few nice ones, but when you can smell it a mile away, it's not a good thing.

I thought I was the only one who reacted that strongly to the sickening sweet smell of all those phony fragrances. I also get a near-migraine attack from the candle store in the mall. I've worn the same perfume since I was 21 because I don't dare try anything new at this point.

I even tell the dog groomer not to put any fragrance on my dog when she gets a bath. Unscented deodorant, hairspray, lotions, etc.

A few people have mentioned migraines. Wonder how many of us suffer from them? I do, and it's often smell that trigger them. (Anything lavender is deadly!)

Could it be a link?

I had to change vets because when I went to the office to pick up my dog or cat they had these things going. I started wheezing and one of the other people there was a nurse. She was like "Get out of here!". Outside wasn't much better, lots of tropical dense foliage with high aroma.

The attendant was disturbed that I was sitting in my truck waiting for my pet and I told her I was sensitive to the aromas. She exclaimed that if they didn't have them the place would smell like a kennel!

Um, it is a kennel.

Just last week I went to get a root canal and they had them EVERYWHERE! I was coughing and gagging just from the smell.

I cannot believe people don't think they can have a problem with people who are sensitive to that stuff in that sort of environment.

I can use beeswax candles with a light scent. Most natural scents that are not floral do not bother me. Although mint scents are the easiest to deal with.

I have so many allergies almost anything scented from cat litter to detergent can drop me. Easily.

I used to get migraines once in a great, great while, though I didn't recognize them at the time. I haven't had one in years, knock wood.

I don't know if scent was a factor for me- I kind of doubt it.