The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WISDOM TEETH!

I had my wisdom teeth taken out the 23rd...all four of them! It hurts horribly still, but the Vicodin they gave me is dulling the pain..

Who else has had theirs removed?

The hardest part has been finding things to eat! Chocolate pudding, bread pudding (yum!) and even solid foods I don't *need* to chew have been okay. I managed some mac and cheese and even teeny tiny pieces of very rare steak on xmas! But nonetheless, the lack of food is difficult to manage, especially for a foodie like me.

What other things have you done for wisdom teeth extractions? Experiences?

I ate nothing but vanilla pudding, water and Percocet for 4 days after mine were out. My agony was extended too because on day 2 or 3 post-extraction, I had a giant clot continuously forming on the 'hole' where the tooth was on the right side. I woke up one morning and it looked like a I had a big, black slug all along the right side of my upper teeth. DISGUSTING! Had to go back to the surgeon on a Saturday and get numb again so he could dig out the old tissue/healing material to allow a proper clot to form. I was super sore after that! I remember it not being so much my teeth hurting, but my jaw. I honestly recommend ibuprofen over narcotic pain killers for this pain. It's much more effective. (Not a doc, of course

Just try to sleep a lot, keep your head slightly elevated, read.. go online.. don't talk too much- it will be over soon!

Gross on the blood-clot! I'm crossing my fingers for no dry-sockets and am doing everything by the book.

They gave me prescription ibuprofen to take, too, and I'm going for the combo! Cutting back as much as I can on the narcs, as you suggested--they can feel icky. Anyway, I also second the jaw pain! It feels like someone sucker-punched me in the face on both sides, lol!

At least I have coth to take my mind off things.

Had mine out in my teens, and it was no trouble, even though all 4 were impacted and I had it done by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia.

I never swelled up, only bled a teeny bit, and was eating takeout Chinese after 24 hours. The worst was the sutures. They were supposed to dissolve, but I could not leave them alone and had them all out by Day 2.

My younger sister, OTOH, looked like a hamster storing food and was in considerable pain for about 4 days.

I had no problems with my wisdom teeth. I had all 4 out about a year ago. I opted to go under all the way instead of just a local. I woke up, went home, went to bed for a few hours and when I woke up again I was fine. I only took one pill of the heavy drugs (don't remember what it was) but didn't like it so I stuck to the motrin after that. I stayed away from hard foods for about a week but had no problems with regular meals like lasagna and chili. I had little swelling and I think I was back at the barn after only two days, although I didn't ride for about two weeks.

My sister on the other hand had a lot of trouble. She came home and promptly passed out on the bathroom floor. She could hardly eat anything for like a week and had a lot of swelling. Plus one of her holes ended up closing too quickly and she got an infection. Apparently, them having to reopen the hole was more painful than the original surgery. Ouch.

I don't know if there's anyway I could have had them out during the holidays. You are a brave soul. For me the first few days were the hardest but after a week I was pretty much back to normal. Good luck.

I had mine removed under general anesthesia. It was quite some time ago but I don't remember it as being terribly painful. I had 5 of them, 4 on the top and one on the bottom.

I also faired much better on Ibuprofen than on the meds the dentist gave me - they made me very dizzy.

It took me a good 3-4 days to resume normal activities and a good 2 weeks before I could open my jaw to it's full extent to eat everything I normally do.

Frozen peas are your friend

mswillie - I had 5 teeth too! 2 on top, 3 on the bottom. The bottoms were impacted, the tops partially impacted.
    BDC

Default One down, two to go!

On Tuesday Dec. 21, I had a crown prep done and a wisdom tooth pulled. I had one wisdom tooth out 6 years ago, so now I have 2 left. From what I have read here, I'm so glad that I only had the one out. I didn't need any pain killer after the extraction and the dentist said that I could ride by Friday the 24th. By Christmas day, I was able to eat everything with no difficulty. The worst thing about the whole ordeal was the anticipation and dread prior to the extraction. My best advice is to avoid spitting and don't let your tongue get near the site of the extraction. It's a lot easier to recover from one tooth being pulled.

I only had two, and both were on top. So it was a very simple procedure to remove them and I didn't even require stitches. I did, however, receive some questioning from my mother later on because of some of the things I said while still under the influence of the anesthesia post-surgery. For example, as I was stumbling around the place like a drunkard, my mother asked me if I needed help and I loudly proclaimed, "NAW, I'm used to walking like this!" Awesome.

I also think it's super fun to play with those heart monitors and zen out and slow my pulse way down. As I was going under, the surgeon realized how much I had slowed my pulse down and said, "Oh crap!" and pinched my gums REALLY hard with some metal device to make it spike back up mean.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I ate popsicles. Of course, it was summer, and so they were nice to eat when it was hot out. I ate some Jell-O too, but not near as much as popsicles.
    When my brother got his out, for some reason he was so sure that he looked goofy (chipmunk-like), and actually was so insistent on seeing what he looked like that they got him a mirror to look at himself in. Otherwise, wisdom-teeth have not been bad in my family. I have heard that there are people who are really goofy from whatever it is that they put people under with, but really, nothing exciting. Although, they missed a really small part of one of my teeth, and I pulled it out in about November (got my wisdoms out done late July I think).

Moist heat will help as well. Dont mess with the sockets, no spitting, and dont eat anything with a lot of particles (chips, crackers, granola, etc).

Anytime we do anything other than a simple extraction, we prescribe decadron, which is a low dose steroid. We can do full mouth extracts, place implants, etc and our patients have NO pain - seriously. The steroid makes all the difference.

I had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out at work over a year ago. We were slow, I needed it out, so boss numbed me, took it out, and I stayed at work all day. It was a little achy at night but I just took a loratab for two nights and nothing during the day. I need my lower right taken out but my boss cant do it as it is a bony impaction and I need to go to a surgeon for it (plus Ive been in Invisalign so couldnt do it anyway).

Hope you feel better soon!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I had all 4 taken out about 2 years ago by the oral surgeon, plus bone grafting and an implant placed. I was pretty sore and swollen on the side where the graft bone was taken, and there was a bit of bruising in the lower part of my cheek. The other side was fine, healed over very quickly, and next to no pain. I ate a lot of soups, pudding, yogurt, and followed directions carefully-lots of swishing with salt water and no straws.

Not the most fun experience, but IMO a good oral surgeon makes all the difference. My friend had hers taken out by the dentist under local, and her face was very swollen and she developed infections. Quite painful, and took weeks to heal.

I was back riding in about 2 weeks, I did take some extra time off though, due to the implant.

Mine were ghastly. The surgeon was a brute. I woke up halfway thru the extraction. Of course with my mouth propped open, all I could do was moan loudly until they knocked me out again. It took a while for them to realize that's what I wanted. I would have thought the moaning was a clue, but no. Under the circumstances I thought I was pretty polite not to hit one of the staff.

After surgery they sent me home with one of those trendy new designer painkillers. (Someone had been sent on vacation by the pharma sales rep, methinks.) It did nothing for the pain except make me kind of hyper. I ended up pacing around and around the house until I finally collapsed in exhaustion and fell asleep in the middle of the living room floor. Mom immediately confiscated the bottle and had me take an over the counter painkiller instead. Later the trendy designer painkiller was yanked from the market because it was found to cause fatal heart problems. Yay Mom. Boo surgeon.

After all that I ended up with a dry socket. It's probably best I had all four teeth out at once. They never would have gotten me back in the chair for the other two if they'd tried to do them in pairs.

I was pretty miserable after mine. I'm a bit of a bleeder, not so much that my life is endangered, but I bleed and bruise very easily. As far as I can tell, everything that bled out of my mouth when they were doing the removal must have drained straight into my stomach, because the main thing I remember about having my wisdom teeth out was vomiting blood. I didn't even make it home, my mother had to pull over on the side of the road so I could puke out of the car door. I'm really lucky I didn't get a dry socket or anything, because there was no way any of the packing was staying in with all the vomiting. Ugh.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I only had two, and both were on top. So it was a very simple procedure to remove them and I didn't even require stitches. I did, however, receive some questioning from my mother later on because of some of the things I said while still under the influence of the anesthesia post-surgery. For example, as I was stumbling around the place like a drunkard, my mother asked me if I needed help and I loudly proclaimed, "NAW, I'm used to walking like this!" Awesome.

I also think it's super fun to play with those heart monitors and zen out and slow my pulse way down. As I was going under, the surgeon realized how much I had slowed my pulse down and said, "Oh crap!" and pinched my gums REALLY hard with some metal device to make it spike back up mean.

OK, I had an odd reaction to the general as well (sodium pentothal in my case).

It turned me into a potty-mouth. I stumbled around the reception/waiting area, mouth stuffed with gauze, cussing my everloving head off. Mom could not pay and get me out of there fast enough!

I had all four out last January, the recovery was not too bad. I found the procedure pretty distressing actually, it was done under local and the cracking and crunching sound of my teeth breaking really bothered me. It was not painful but did not enjoy the sensation of having my skull pulled out through my mouth.

I was completely paranoid about dry socket so I followed the intructions to the letter and rinsed my mouth out with warm salt water several times a day and was diligent with the cold compresses. Minimal swelling and the pain was not too bad actually.

I'm glad I had all four done at once; I don't know if my dentist could have coaxed me back in the chair again...

The only really odd thing was that for a couple of weeks after the procedure I alternated between excessive salivation and dry mouth. That went away though.

If anyone is getting it done I would recommend:

-if they offer a wee sedative..take it! I did not and wish I was a little less alert!
    -do the salt water rinse, it really helps with fast healing
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I had mine out last January. Several days of hell and then I was back to eating regular food. I do not take strong pain meds well, so I was stuck taking advil/tylenol, (although I wasn't taking anything after the second day). Although I had a horrible experience going in to the surgery, (took 4 four people and 6 different needles to get my IV in, laughing gas made me cry, etc), and all four teeth were really impacted, (they had to remove a lot of bone to get my stupid teeth out), my surgeon did a great job. Someone told me that you can tell how good your surgeon is by the time it takes to heal, and mine had me back to normal in less than a week! I remember being extremely paranoid about getting a dry socket, but luckily I didn't get any. I did ride before I was supposed to, but by then I was normal, the sockets were completely clotted, and I couldn't stand not being able to ride! Don't worry OP, you'll be fine in a week!

I think the worst wisdom teeth experience I've heard has to have been my dad's. He never had them out until one abscessed and he was ready to grab a shotgun and blow that side of his head off to get some relief from the pain.

Anyway, when the dentist got a look at the x-ray he sent Dad off to an oral surgeon posthaste. The offending tooth had roots like a giant sequoia, and they were wrapped around the jawbone. The surgeon ended up cutting in through an incision in the skin to get all of the tooth and roots, leaving poor Dad with stitches inside and out.

He still says that the post-surgical pain was nothing compared to what it was before, when that abscess was raging.

I'm getting all four out next summer, and my friends are really excited. The funniest photo I have seen in my life was a self take my friend took of herself right after waking up from getting her surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig-pZ4OyidY
    T3DE Pact

My son just had the 2 bottom ones out last Monday. Wednesday was the worst day for him - he just took vicodin every four hours and slept. Other than that, he's been okay. Ate a big Christmas dinner!
    Definitely ice with frozen peas for the first 24 hours. The doctor told him after that to use hot towels every half hour for another two days, but he didn't. I think that would have helped him feel better on day 3. (The heat is supposed to increase the blood flow and reduce the swelling.) Also remember to keep rinsing with salt water for a couple of days.

Good luck!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry