The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Environmentally friendly products that really work?

Not talking about big ticket items, like wind turbines, but household products.

My latest waste of money was for Mister Steamy dryer balls. Took twice as long to dry the clothes, and then they came out all full of static electricity.

You swear by it, and I'll be willing to try it
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I love Simply Floored for cleaning my apartment's hardwood floors. It's a cleaner based on coconut and corn oil derived surfactants, non-toxic to pets, and gives my floors a nice shine. Oh, and it smells good too.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I love Simple Green. It really makes the woodwork sparkle and does a very nice job in general cleaning. Bathroom, kitchen, etc.
    I'll even mop the floors with it.

White vinegar will clean almost anything.

Listerine will clean almost anything.

Non chlorine bleach cleans what the other two won't.

Including toilets.

Salt and baking soda work well to replace cleansers and drain stuff.

Including toilets.

Baking soda in the wash as well as borax do a nice job too.

Just a note, kan doo kids products will clean the worst dirt and gunk imaginable! Seriously! I don't know how friendly they are for the environment.

Ditto white vinegar. That stuff is almost magical.

White vinegar I have. Keep it to mix with the SSS for fly spray. I'll expand it's uses

I'm not as fond of Simple Green as Huntertwo, but I do like TKO. It's just difficult to find around here.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Not talking about big ticket items, like wind turbines, but household products.

My latest waste of money was for Mister Steamy dryer balls. Took twice as long to dry the clothes, and then they came out all full of static electricity.

You swear by it, and I'll be willing to try it

vinegar,baking soda and liquor.

in any order

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I can tell you what to avoid: any of the "green" laundry detergents. I've tried two (sorry, can't remember the names), and ended up throwing both out.

It MIGHT be okay if you never get horrifically sweaty or dirty. I assume you do both at least some of the time since this is a horse forum! Anything worse than standard "office clothing" dirt or odors - the EF stuff is useless.

I think vinegar, baking soda and ammonia are the only three products you really need to clean. That's what I read anyway.

JUST in case you want to get a floor really clean, DO NOT use ammonia and bleach. Apparently this is called mustard gas and was used in Vietnam to kill people. Ask me how I know that.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; Jan. 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Greytown, New Zealand (a blip on the landscape really :))

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I think vinegar, baking soda and ammonia are the only three products you really need to clean. That's what I read anyway.

JUST in case you want to get a floor really clean, DO NOT use ammonia and bleach. Apparently this is called mustard gas and was used in Vietnam to kill people. Ask me how I know that.
    But amonia and bleach together really clean .... your bath and your shower of all that baked on gunk as well as your nasal passages, your fingerprints off your fingers ..... Yes, I still use this when doing "spring" or "autum" cleaning abut 4x a year.

I think that one thing lost on the modern "homemaker" is latex gloves and super hot water...40 years ago no one used paper towels and a spray, but serious latex elbow high gloves and as hot as the tap water would go as base for most around the house cleaning

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Still Workingonit--Oh dear. It will clean a few of your brain cells, too. Four times a year? And you can still remember words? A few seconds exposure gave my splitting headaches and uncontrollable coughing. You might want to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I think that one thing lost on the modern "homemaker" is latex gloves and super hot water...40 years ago no one used paper towels and a spray, but serious latex elbow high gloves and as hot as the tap water would go as base for most around the house cleaning

Tamara in TN
    I'm 23 and I use latex gloves and super hot water. My routine 2x a week---my gloves, a good scrub brush, bucket full o'hot water. Scrub the moldings and edges of the floor before I mop. Keeps everything sparkly and clean

Quote Originally Posted by Still Workingonit View Post
    But amonia and bleach together really clean .... your bath and your shower of all that baked on gunk as well as your nasal passages, your fingerprints off your fingers ..... Yes, I still use this when doing "spring" or "autum" cleaning abut 4x a year.
    I'm guessing you wouldn't go grab a bottle of hydrochloric acid and pour it in your tub.

Trichloroamine and hydrazine are both explosive and highly toxic.

You can get all three when you mix bleach with ammonia.

I hope you're just kidding but if you aren't, please stop. You could wind up missing some fingers or drowning in your own fluids, or dead. It's just a bad idea all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Workingonit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Still Workingonit--Oh dear. It will clean a few of your brain cells, too. Four times a year? And you can still remember words? A few seconds exposure gave my splitting headaches and uncontrollable coughing. You might want to stop that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I'm guessing you wouldn't go grab a bottle of hydrochloric acid and pour it in your tub.

Trichloroamine and hydrazine are both explosive and highly toxic.

You can get all three when you mix bleach with ammonia.

I hope you're just kidding but if you aren't, please stop. You could wind up missing some fingers or drowning in your own fluids, or dead. It's just a bad idea all around.

That is a seriously dangerous mixture!
    People have been known to permanently damage their lungs with that. Or die...

I like the 7th Generation and Mrs. Myers products. I second adding in baking soda or white vinegar (or both).
    Even if you don't buy a "green" brand, getting one that's free of dyes/perfumes/phosphates is better than using one with them.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I like 7th Generation and Mrs. Meyers too. I actually just got the Mrs. Meyers laundry detergent and I really like it.

The only thing I struggle with is my dishwasher; adding white vinegar helps but a lot of the natural detergents leave a white film. The powdered ones don't work well at all for me, but the Mrs. Meyers packets are pretty good. Still looking for the best solution in the dishwasher.

Agree 100%...do not waste your money on the newest "green" cleaning crap.

Baking soda and white vinegar will clean (and kills bacteria) pretty much anything and everything.

It'll even unclog drains. Pour dry baking soda down your drain...about a cup of it. Then pour down a cup of white vinegar.

Removes odors and stains, works in laundry too.

And hot hot hot water. With those thick yellow elbow high neon yellow gloves.

Other back ups I keep around: Murphy's Oil and one of those big bars of old fashioned yellow soap.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

White vinegar and baking soda. I use some of the Ecover products too. I like the delicates wash and the toilet bowl cleaner. Spending money on the other stuff is a waste IMHO, except for pretty smells.

Though I have to admit the new Seventh Generation Citrus Kitchen Hand Wash is to die for. Really de-stinks hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Agree 100%...do not waste your money on the newest "green" cleaning crap.

Baking soda and white vinegar will clean (and kills bacteria) pretty much anything and everything.

It'll even unclog drains. Pour dry baking soda down your drain...about a cup of it. Then pour down a cup of white vinegar.

Removes odors and stains, works in laundry too.

And hot hot hot water. With those thick yellow elbow high neon yellow gloves.

Other back ups I keep around: Murphy's Oil and one of those big bars of old fashioned yellow soap.

Don't forget lemons! I use half a lemon to clean my shower. Dip it in baking soda and scrub away. For really dirty spots, I will use salt as well.