The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Plague of the thicker thighs

Okay ladies,

I thought riding would help fight the flab, but thus far I have yet to find the cure.

How do you get rid of the annoying pocket of fat that accumulates at your inner thighs?

Don't forget that riding requires the use of the muscles in your upper/inner thigh; the more you ride the bigger that muscle gets. At least that's what I keep telling myself

Alas, riding does not really help all that much with being fit or weight loss.

Unless you're schooling 3 or more horses per day, an hour per horse and serious schooling.

Otherwise that 30-60 minute single ride per day a few days per week can only do so much and then you plateau.

Fat pockets there are such a pita, aren't they? But there are lots of exercises that target there. Just google inner thigh exercises and a bunch of suggestions comes up.

Even those dorky thigh-master things help.

Do you work at a desk? If so, replace your chair with one of those huge inflatable work out balls. Sit astride on it, get a size so that your feet just touch the floor. (better if only your toes touch)
    Then while sitting there squeeze the ball with your thighs and lift your feet off the floor. The combo of squeezing and the balance needed for having those feet off the ground works your inner thighs and entire core. (front, back, sides, upper and lower core) Hold, release. Just keep repeating all day. (try not to roll onto your head, it hurts, LOL)

If you don't work at a desk, out the ball in your living room in front of the TV or at spot where you use your computer.

Also lower your intake of foods that like to deposit fat there...like white breads, potatos, sugar, etc.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

hate to tell you...but you cannot spot reduce areas. So, overall weight loss will help as will weight training but thats it. Fat gets deposited in different places on people, for me I get it all over but even when I was extremely fit and muscular, I still had fat on my thighs. The only way to permanently remove fat there? Lipo.

I don't know, but I sure wish I did. Running has helped tone my thighs and using the weight machines has reduced it a bit, but I think I'm forever doomed to having it.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Let me start on my 2011 resolution to free as many women as possible from body hatred! Let it begin with you.

How I wish I could take back the tortured years of my own body hatred which resulted in so much masochistic behavior that I'm now horrified by. There is so much cathartic resolution for being well beyond that time in life which is lost on younger women. Wish I could fast forward you to that place!

For reference, my 90 year old mother was my weight/body image Nazi. She was the reason I hated my body for years and years. At her age, in failing health, she still "watches calories". I want to tell her to eat effing ice-cream (her favorite food that she's spent years depriving herself of) for every meal of the day! It's maddening! She's spare, ice cream won't bulk her up. Makes me nuts.

Yes, even at my thinnest, anorexic, excessive exercising worst, I still had proportionately big thighs and a butt. Having overcome those unhealthy habits, they just got bigger and bigger. I will probably have to have lipo if I ever want to get them to where I think they should be, but that seems pretty excessive. So, when I get kind of down about my big round thighs, I just remind myself that I should be grateful that they are at least functional and they get me where I want to go.

I am hoping as I continue running, that they may at least slim down some, to where I once was.

Not ice cream binging is probably how she got to be 90 Foundationmare.

Definitely don't hate your body. No need to do that. But you can change parts that aren't working for you usually.

And like has been said...some deposits just won't go away completely. But if they're excessive, nutrition and targeted exercise can reduce them.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Admittedly this is a rather extreme solution, but when I had a hip replaced, I magically lost a wad of fat that has never reappeared. I know my doctor didn't remove it - at least I don't think so.

I joked with him about getting the other one done. He laughed and said "sorry, medical ethics prevent me from doing joint replacements for strictly cosmetic reasons!"

If you hate it that much, and exercise and diet modification isn't doing the trick - there is lipo. I wouldn't bother with it myself but certainly wouldn't judge someone who did.

I have noticed that by doing the strength training program I have been doing for 9 months my thighs are smaller. I have lost about 2"s which really is quite a lot. I have also lost 2" off my waist and completely toned up my body.
    I also changed my diet quiet a bit, the usual eating clean, no processed foods and making sure I get only 1400 calories a day. (I am 5'2 so that is a good amount for me while I am working out).
    Muscle takes up less space than fat, so I am skinnier despite weighing about the same.
    I wish there was an exercise or a magic pill, but unfortunately there is just hard work, sweat and a life style change.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Quote Originally Posted by horsewhisperer
    Okay ladies,

How do you get rid of the annoying pocket of fat that accumulates at your inner thighs?
    Walking, then running every day.

Cutting carbs.

If all else fails, liposuction.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Well, I have thick thighs too, but it's all muscle! Years of regular riding (1-2 hours every other day) plus occasional hiking, biking and blading have given me big thighs (not to mention, a bubble butt)

And you know what?

In jeans fit thighs look exactly the same as fat thighs.