The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bill Woods- nice to see a dressage person with a sense of humor!

I have heard of Bill and Susan Woods but never saw their site or knew much about them. I did watch him teach a log time ago, but that is all. Checked out their site, it is hilarious! Is he as much fun in person as his site indicates? They look like a hoot. Check out the link for their store.
    http://www.woodsdressage.com/Home_Page.php

I don't know, but I bet his clinics are a stitch.

His book, "Dressage Unscrambled" is hilarious. I bought an extra copy to give my coach. There's no reason dressage should be dry, boring and intimidating.

He is just as much fun. He was a guest speaker at a clinic we had last year, and had us in stiches.... and I audited a friend's lesson a few months ago, and he had us all laughing..... The best part is the kernal of truth inside every funny story....and of course he uses a duck call when he judges!

L

I took a few lessons from him eons ago and he is great. Really engaging and I remember learning a lot and finding the work fun for the first time in a long time.
    bad decisions make good stories

He has been a long supporter of US dressage. So I will keep an eye out for any symposiums or clinics! I enjoyed his youtube videos.
    I just ordered his book!

I especially liked the "Dressage for Husbands" video on his site...freakin' hilarious!

Katja

Oh for God's Sake why did I have to click on store crazy especially in this economic down turn.

I am torn between ordering the Tin Foil Hat used exclusively for clinics, the Oscar Meyer Saddle made entirely from bologne for that hard to fit horse, or the half chaps. My finances at this time are short--I must choose wisely---decisions, decisions.

No, I have changed my mind it's the Vaculator an absolute must have especially with Alzheimers lurking around the corner. Yes, the Vaculator it is.

Sending in my order now.

I just Love Bill.

If you ever get a chance to ride for him as a judge, no matter how your ride goes or what the score, it's worth it for the comments. His sense of humor doesn't end in the judges box.

Years ago he judged at a Rocking Horse trial(which both he and Susan do quite often) and as I was circling the ring to wait for his infamous "kazoo/duck call" he blew it and then started playing a tune. I couldn't resist saying as I went by the box-"I didn't know I was doing a musical freestyle"-I thought he was going to fall out of the box he started laughing so hard. Needless to say I was more relaxed going in the ring and so was my hot little mare and we scored pretty decently for a change.
    Love both of them- when they judge you can always count on a real honest score and great constructive comments that don't make you feel like a idiot.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I LOVE Bill.. He gives clinics up here near me at least once a year and judges a show the same weekend (schooling shows). I've scribed for him and he has me in stiches the entire time - very dry, sarcastic wit LOL. His clinics are informative, fun and relaxing. When you show under him (which I've also done) he takes it seriously in that he gives you good feed back, but he also will joke around with you and is very laid back - and uses a schooling show as just that to school a youngster or someone with a young horse.

We generally go out to dinner after the show (the entire crowd) and my sides hurt from laughing by the end of dinner. Just truly a wonderful guy.

Oh and several of the stories that he tells in Dressage Unscrambled are from the schooling show/clinics that he has given up here - recognize several of our locals in it LOL.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I lesson with him on an every other week basis, and while he is hilarious and tells funny stories he is also an excellent instructor. And--he really puts you to work--no excuses, nothing. Glad to see him get some attention.

BTW, I really like the board stiff Bill, myself.

Try his blog (Blaggo). You will learn a lot.

I just met him this year thru my instructor. It did take me a while to catch on to his type of humor. He is a riot! And I've finally realized that sometimes his humor is in what he's not saying! Love it!

I'll chime in. Rode with him a number of times late 80's early 90's.

Love him and he is hysterical. Somewhat dry and tongue in cheek humour.

Good clinician too!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Love him, I don't ride Dressage, but one of my boarders did an he would come over for her lessons. He is an absolute riot.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I've audited and also ridden in his clinics and he is indeed hilarious. Very fun, and very good instructor.
    And I agree that his book Dressage Unscrambled is a great read too!

I have a slightly different impression of him. His caustic comment to a young rider was really nasty. If you call telling a intimidated young girl riding as if she had Tourette's funny, maybe I am just being too "sensitive". I just thought it classless and cruel.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

The store pages are funny! Make sure you click through to the shopping cart.

One of my most memorable dressage moments (with another instructor) was, "You've got to show more difference! Those dressage judges get older every year, and they don't see as well as they used to!"

As you can see, that stuck with me!

I think most instructors could make big money with the cardboard cutout + tape recorder. Or better, make it a digital recorder on the internet, and they could upload the occasional new phrase now and then.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have ridden with him a few times, years ago...as a child. At the time I was a little hurt by some of the comments BUT I watch the video now and lmao.

I have been sharing my copy of "Dressage Unscrambled" with some barn-mates and we have all agreed that it would be wonderful to ride in one of his clinics. This is not likely to happen, since we are way out in Idaho, but we can dream.
    Sheilah

He goes to Idaho at least several times a year to give clinics--look up the You-Tube videos about one of his GP students in Idaho and get in touch with her or with Bill himself. Maybe you can audit or ride.