The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Possible event prospect? Confo, movement, etc.

Hello!

I found this filly not far from where I live, and was wondering if you experts could possibly give me an opinion of her movement and conformation as a possible event horse.

They are asking around $19,500.

Thanks!

Free movement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05RtGaXv8M

Under saddle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiYbE2Zj388

She's Cute. Im no expert be any stretch of the imagination, but I generally prefer a horse w/ more reach up front. But that may be personal preference as much as anything...

My first impression, before I even watched the videos, was: "Whoa. $19,500 for a filly?! You could get a solid Prelim horse for that in most areas!"

She's cute, but not impressive to me - especially for the price. Granted, a dog was chasing her around, but her movement is more high-stepping than forward and floaty, which is what I preffer. Almost strikes me as a Morgan type.

I know of one heck of a nice 5 yr old HAN/TB mare for about 1/2 that price that is well started O/F and has been to a couple dressage shows. This particularly filly is nice, but as others have said I like more reach in an event prospect and wonder if she would be efficient at galloping with the way she has so much knee action.

I wouldn't pay that much for her. Then again, I've never had that type of budget for horse hunting. But, as was said, you could get a lot more for that amount of money than what appears in those videos.
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

*gasp* *choke* For that price (with no show record?) she'd better knock my socks off....then launder and fold them and put them away!!!

I remember I got all excited about a particular horse (one of the few in my price range who didn't try to kill me when I tried it) when I was hunting for one as a teenager. My sister (far more experienced) looked at it and said "Eh, she's just a horse" (e.g. Nothing Special). Same reaction here.

Jennifer

I do believe that she is what they call a sewing machine mover, short stabby up and down in front. Her back is tight. The high head carriage prevents her from relaxing and dropping her neck and raising her back so her energy does not flow on top, just moves down below. Without the use of her back she has limited reach. Not exactly an eggbeater but close. Wonderful pictive analogies huh.

Yes you can do much better for that kind of money. Bloodlines aren't everything sometimes.

If you're looking for a dressage or riding horse as advertised, then give her a second look.
    For an eventer, for that price, she better be competing and with good scores. Which I doubt she's going to be a good jumper. Has a low shoulder point and zero length of stride for a good x-c gallop.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

I've paid that much and more for a nice young one. This one doesn't even get a second look, in any discipline that I ride. As PP have said, she looks very choppy/sewing machine. I gave her a break in the free video where she is being chased by the dog and is clearly frantic, doesn't get much better under saddle tho. For the asking price, there are much nicer young horses out there. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on a horse without a record you can find one that has a trot/canter much more acceptable in the hunter ring and that free jumps in good form. You can also find one that is more free through the back. Gives you more options if the horse turns out to dislike the xc. Also gives you options in markets that typically pay more for a horse, provided it is a nice horse.

ETA: Watched one more time. Adding that for the price, I would expect a much much better canter. Even if this filly is 30 days under saddle, at $20K, I would expect more quality in the canter.

Meh, I wasn't impressed at all. I've seen much nicer movement at the same level of training for far less money. That mare has the same sort of quality of movement as my pony--but he's 14.2 and was free. I wouldn't pay that much for that mare.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I personally really dislike this type of mover (always tense looking), but that aside, she doesn't stand out as a great prospect. If she was 5k, I'd say get her (except I think she won't vet well under a really good vet). 10k, I'd say try her out over fences. 20k... umm pass and get a nice 5 year old doing novice or training with potential to move up.

Plus based off today's movement, I think she will have problem on the left hind when she's in harder work (galloping/jumping). Notice the occasional shorter step on the left and the dragging of the LH toe when on the outside. I wouldn't see this as a problem if on a going prelim + horse, but on a 5 year old doing only w/t/c, I don't like it. Also, the poor articulation of the hocks during the trot and canter may be a sign of problems (or she's just not a very good mover behind).

Conformation wise, she has good legs (although I personally dislike a horse with warmbood body and TB legs like she does). Her cannon are perpendicular to the ground and pasterns angles are good. Her gaskins appear weak for a eventing prospect, but her hind end is overall in decent balance. She has a nice topline for a 5 year old, but her shoulder indicates she may not be a good jumper and will hang her legs (safety issue). Between the steep shoulder and the lacking articulation of the hind legs, I think she will be a poor galloper (as an upper level prospect) as well as be an uncomfortable ride (but looks can be deceiving on comfort level).

Last, but not least, she looks like a nightmare to saddle fit for a jumping saddle (dressage saddle may be easier because you can place it practically behind the wither)! She has very tall forward set wither with a huge dip in her back. Let me just say from experience... nightmare.

PS I guess I should add that I recently purchased a young horse of higher quality for 15k and although not jumping undersaddle he did freejump to 4' in good form.

I don't think there is anything wrong with paying that much for a really nice prospect. That said, I wouldn't pay that much for this particular prospect - not for eventing.

I really liked Cor Noir, and the fact that his semen is not available has made his babies pricier to people after the bloodlines, but she's not one of his better babies.

This mare is in that price range but I think she's much better suited to eventing than the one you showed...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYd6UxsOJ_M

Thank you so much!

I am still trying to learn how to pick the good from the bad. I would never pay that much money if it wasn't worth it.

The hunt goes on!

You can get a much nicer horse from anywhere in the country for less than that including shipping!