The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Colt starter in KY?

My friend has a very large soon to be 2yr old warmblood filly who she would like to send to a trainer this fall for a month or so to get a first introduction to "real work".She doesn't have a COTH ID and so asked me to post this. Anyone have suggestions for good experienced colt starters in KY? She has no problems with it being a cowboy or western rider/trainer, or and english trainer. Horse's eventual job will be jumper/eventer.
    Thanks!

You have a PM
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

My friend and I do this-- she and I start them together, we feel it is good for them, because we ride very similarly, but both of us have our small specialties which bring the young horse's education around in such a way that they don't freak out when someone new gets on them the first time, but they stay focused on the person on their back and of what is being asked of them. They also tend to pick things up much quicker this way, as they don't lose attention like some young horses are so prone to doing.

We have had great success doing it this way, and are going to be looking for young horses to start in the spring-- if you are interested, shoot me a pm.

My friend has a Dressage/ jumping background, where I have a jumping/ racing background.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I know someone who might be interested. Can you tell me where your farm is and what you charge?