The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Shadbelly question...apologies in advance...

I am hoping to qualify for the NAL, m&S, or WIHS hunter finals this year (it's a goal of mine). Would I need a Shadbelly for the Finals? I don't plan on wearing one for classics simply because it will be ridiculously hot. My shad is a hand-me-down heavyweight true to form complete with yellow vest from my friend who fox hunts. (it no longer fit her and when we went for the opening day, TG day and Christmas eve day hunts, we wore them, as everyone at the hunt decided to go formal.) My two questions are
    A) Would this set-up be okay for the Finals if I qualify?
    B) Would I even need it for the finals?

any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated. For Classic classes I plan on wearing my black hunt coat. And I am 26 years old so age is not an issue.... thanks in advance for all your advice...I'm a recent transplant from Jumper land.

I think you will find that many, if not most or all of the women showing at those finals will be wearing shadbellies. But your dark coat with a white shirt is equally correct. So it's really up to you which attire you prefer.

Everyone in the finals will wear them. Smartpak has a nice on sale.
    Good luck!

STA551 Guest

Why not lease a shadbelly for the finals?

Afterthought- if you don't use it all year, you might want to ride in it a few times at home before the finals so your horse gets used to it. Just in case.

Good luck!

The one I have is a fox hunting one (made of super heavy wool). I might just sweat to death in it. If I qualify, I may just have to give myself a present of a nice one...especially since by then my green bean will probably be doing the pre greens. thanks for all your replies. I really hate wearing the crazy thing...the flapping tails are very distracting, especially for an ADD person like me

Definitely ride in a shadbelly for the finals! Ask around as you show this season and I bet someone will be happy to loan you one. Wearing a shadbelly to the finals adds to the excitement and glamour that the finals should have!

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Afterthought- if you don't use it all year, you might want to ride in it a few times at home before the finals so your horse gets used to it. Just in case.

Good luck!
    Yes, this is an excellent idea. Sometimes those tails eat horses!

If you are not planning on wearing it a whole bunch, I would rent one. They are pretty spendy, just makes sense to me to rent one if you are only wearing it for one show, or even maybe just a handful of times

Your hw shadbelly and vest are totally correct for the finals, and 99-100% of the riders will be wearing a shadbelly. In fact, yours should look NICER than everyone else's light weight ones, as the heavier weight wool makes the tails "flap" far less! So renting/buying a different one is silly. Just wear your dark jacket, hunt vest, and stock for all the qualifying classes, and your traditionally correct shad for the finals.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles