The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Duett Rondo?

I've posted about my saddle saga before. Snake is a tough to fit guy. Long story short I am currently stuck riding in my 8 year old Wintec 500. It is okay, but not really great for me.

So, after much searching I am thinking of trying the Duett Rondo. Snake is wide and flat backed and most Wide trees don't fit him, so it is worth a shot to give them a try.

At first I was going to go for one of their dressage saddles but then I saw the Rondo II. (I like black because Snake is a black and white paint and just looks nicer in black tack.) I thought this may be better than just the dressage saddle since I do like to pop over jumps here and there. Plus, I struggle to find a dressage saddle I like with a more forward flap. (Used to be a hunter/jumper so I still like to ride on the shorter side.) We don't currently show and if we ever did I don't see it being anything but local schooling shows.

I thought the Rondo would give me the flexibility to jump, do dressage, trail ride or whatever else we decide to do.

I did read the other threads here on Duetts, but I wanted to ask again for people's experiences. Thanks!!!

I have the Duett Fox Hunter and I love it. I have 2 draft crosses that are really wide. I mainly trail ride in the saddle but have the flexibility to hop over any logs on the trail and I have also hill topped in it. Its well made and has held up nicely for the 3 years I've had it.

I have the Rondo 11 in black for my black Morgan. It's a 34" cm. and fits him pretty well. I can take jumps in it. I think I bought this saddle back in 2003 and it has held up very well.

What do you think of the twist on these saddles? I've heard people either love it or hate it.

Also, do you guys think that AP is the way to go? I used to be really firm on the believe that an All Purpose is a no purpose saddle. That said, as much as I complain about my Wintec it has really served me well. (Bought it in college when I was teaching lessons/training. So, it worked for what I had to do then, just not so much now.) My biggest complaints about it are that it is not pretty, puts me in a chair seat, and isn't good for jumping at all. I feel like I just can't get out of it when I jump. As for dressage in it, it is just so bulky under me. I just worry that another AP will land me in the same spot I am in now.

Of course, I know the only real way for me to know if it is for me is to try it but I wanted to ask others first before I had one shipped to test out.

I've ridden in the Duett Fidelio (dressage saddle) a lot and LOVE it. I'm ordering one this week for my daughter's horse.

I test rode in a handful of Duetts and found that the twist and horse fit seemed to vary for each saddle model, ie, the models are somewhat different. The owner of Duett is very skilled at sending you a few different saddles to try that are good possibilities. I think these sad

I have the (black) companion trail model and really like it. As has everybody who's sat in it. It also fits my (wide, table-backed, drafty dude) horse pretty well.

I think I recall the twist seeming a bit wider than I was used to but now that I've been riding in it for, like, a year...it's fine.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I had a Duett Rondo for a while - I had it restuffed, but in the end decided it was a little too wide for my boy. One size down would have worked very well. I would happily buy another one - but I found a dressage saddle so I'm actually eyeing the Duett Allegro for a jumping saddle when finances permit.

The seat was quite flat and wide which would have made it difficult for me to get a proper dressage "draped" leg, but with the Rondo I used a somewhat shorter stirrup and it was fine. I did show another horse in Training level dressage in the Rondo (it fit her better than my boy).

A pic of us jumping - the top of the brush is 3'4" (at the low spot in the middle of the jump). I never had any problems with position or getting out of the Rondo while jumping.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bNsQFU7jT30/TL.../BratJump2.jpg

I am sure ChocoMare will chime in here as she has Duett Rondos (if I'm not mistaken.) I love them. They are a great saddle, very comfortable, and fit horses well.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.