The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Cast horse:

What a start to the year.

Look over to the barn and horses are all laying down, stretched out, passed out.

Look a little later, this 20 year old evidently rolled over and got cast, two legs on each side of the column and is struggling, but his belly hits the column and can't get up.
    We had some roll in a stall or into a panel and get cast, but not like this.

I run out there, by then the others are around him, watching, so I feed a little to keep them off and with a loosely wrapped rope on the bottom leg try to get him turned over.
    I can get him onto his back, but not quite to the other side and he is not helping, just lays there.
    So, I pull until I can wedge his hind legs against the column, one at the time:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1293906968

I pull this time carefully from the top leg, so he can use the other against the column and finally he can get up, thankfully without straining or breaking anything.

Sooo, he is fine best I can tell, no scratched eyes, banged up legs, sore body, yet anyway.
    He walks over and, being the boss, commands the best pile of hay like the parting of water.
    He will be watched carefully and hopefully he won't colic or swell up..

What a way to start the year.

We know Kings Ransom ended the year being attacked by a quail.

Anyone also starting the year with some crisis?

They find new and amusing ways to get themselves caught and to make our heart race, don't they? Glad this one is ok!

It is a quiet start to the New Year's here - Mr. CGJ's album just went up on iTunes (yay!) and we're heading out here to work on the barn soon. It is SO close to being done..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Will we get to see pictures soon then?

Default Glad your gelding was unhurt !

Glad your gelding was unhurt ~

Soft hi-jack ~ how are you feeling Bluey ? Healthy again ? Any riding in the future ?

Jingles for your gelding and you ~

Happy New Year ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

He looks like he's expecting you to do ALL the work now. Cute fella.

Nothing happened here as of yet, we're up to our eyeballs in mud now after the snowmelt and rain of yesterday. Phone lines = internet was down for a day I guess due to the snowmelt. Been pretty nice. Happy New Year to all, we have roast pork, blackeyed peas and collards cooking for our meal tonight. Looking forward to the New Year!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

LOL, his expression does look like he's expecting Bluey to do all the work.

Glad he's okay! And while it stinks when they just lay there and make us move an entire horse, it's still preferrable to them freaking out and thrashing.

(they could help a *little* bit though, sheesh)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Got home from spending the night at my Dads and then going to a wedding this AM of one of my former students on the way home. The mare that coliced SO BADLY a few weeks ago was laying down. AN hour later went to barn she is stil down and appeared to have been rolling. Went back out and now she is flat on her side, OH NO! Got her up and in the barn, she had plenty of poop from overnight in the stall, had drunk nearly a bucket of water, but today we soared to almost 70 degrees. Hwoever, LUCKILY became apparent she must have just been napping as she was totally normal. Whew! Nearly had a heart attack over that one!

Original Poster

Just on six weeks with broken ribs healing, it was not fun to see how much I could pull, but I don't think I tore anything loose.

First, when I could not flip him, I called my neighbor, that lives 17 miles South, but he was feeding cows some 30+ miles away further South.
    He headed this way right off.

I am glad I could scoot him enough to get his legs on the post, but then he was squashed in there and didn't seem to be breathing that good and that was scary, that is why I was waiting to let him get his breath and took the picture.

Once he got up, I called again to tell my neighbor not to come, he was up and ok.
    Nice to have neighbors that can drop everything to come help.

I was trying to remember last we had a horse get cast and it was at least 20 years ago, a yearling on a pipe fence.

I am glad I had been watching them on and off all morning.
    Funny how we just happen to look as something is happening and can help right off, before things may get serious.

The 6th sense...thank goodness it works for horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I had a mare who cast herself pretty regularly. She'd patiently wait for us to come in and fix it for her. Often, she'd snack on whatever hay was within in reach. A few times, we didn't realize she was actually cast (and most times, she could likely have uncast herself, but that would require work from the diva) until we went to get her for turnout or a lesson. She was small, compact and easy to maneuver by one person. Silly, silly girl.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Will we get to see pictures soon then?
    I was reminded today that we haven't taken photos in a while. So I'll do that tomorrow... Still got some dirt to move around, 2 more gates to hang, tack room to finish and some other misc. work to do. But it is so close to being done. We may have to throw a party..

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Wow, glad he's ok & you didn't re-injure yourself!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I was reminded today that we haven't taken photos in a while. So I'll do that tomorrow... Still got some dirt to move around, 2 more gates to hang, tack room to finish and some other misc. work to do. But it is so close to being done. We may have to throw a party..
    Good, not a barn rising party, but a barn finishing one.
    Those are more fun, the work is finally done.

I hope tornadoes stay away from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I hope tornadoes stay away from this one.
    Me too!

My dad tells me we should build our own house (ourselves). In Alvin, the barn was destroyed and house badly damaged by Hurricane Ike, but the shed we built (with my dad's help) stood fine. Here in Lorena, the tornado did damage to every structure on the property (major damage to some) and left the barn unharmed.

However, barn building is a test of endurance, patience and a marriage. I don't want to try a house.

Original Poster

Me too!

My dad tells me we should build our own house (ourselves). In Alvin, the barn was destroyed and house badly damaged by Hurricane Ike, but the shed we built (with my dad's help) stood fine. Here in Lorena, the tornado did damage to every structure on the property (major damage to some) and left the barn unharmed.

However, barn building is a test of endurance, patience and a marriage. I don't want to try a house.
    Oh, my, then don't try a house, you do get extra gray hairs just from picking out the light fixtures.

By the way, Woody is fine today and thanks everyone for their concern.

We had one get really stuck...he wasn't breathing too great either. I think we discovered him right away, though. He no longer rolls in his stall. I think it scared him as much as it scared me.

Another one somehow managed to cast him self on the side of the barn while in a 120 x 120 paddock.

Silly horses.

We built our barn all by ourselves. When people look at it, I proudly tell them that not only did we built it ourselves, we required no marital counseling during or after, and only occasionally tried to smother each other with pillows at night. It's not a barn, it's a monument to fortitude and patience.

We're almost finished renovating our house. So far I have not put poison in his tea. But I admit I have thought about it.

Good luck with your barn.

Glad the horse is ok, Bluey. The only species I've seen that is more suicidal than horses is sheep.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    We built our barn all by ourselves. When people look at it, I proudly tell them that not only did we built it ourselves, we required no marital counseling during or after, and only occasionally tried to smother each other with pillows at night. It's not a barn, it's a monument to fortitude and patience.

We're almost finished renovating our house. So far I have not put poison in his tea. But I admit I have thought about it.

Glad the horse is ok, Bluey. The only species I've seen that is more suicidal than horses is sheep.

May I suggest separate bedrooms with locks until the house is finished?

ROFLMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post