The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Idiot Neighbors and Fireworks

1. Private fireworks are illegal in Maryland.

2. We live in a community with several properties that have horses.

3. All the neighbors know there are horses here.

Yet one neighbor has been shooting off illegal fireworks for the last 3 hours ... and it's only 10:30 PM at the moment.

I so want to call the police, but they have better things to do on New Year's Eve.

mumble-mumble-mumble

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

You mean like setting up alcohol check points, but breaking them down before 1AM??? Westminster classic!!!

Sorry, I feel the pain! My neighbours will be setting them off for days, but I do live in a townhouse community.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

It sounds like a war zone at my house now. Unfortunately I live in one of the few places around Houston where private fireworks are not illegal. And no matter where I move, I always end up next door to the only people on the street who LOOOVE fireworks. At my old place I actually found SPENT BOTTLEROCKETS INSIDE MY BARN the day after fourth of July.

My horses are in the barn and fortunately are OK with the noise - at one point I had a horse who just went nuts and I had to make sure I was home before any fireworks started on Christmas/Fourth of July/New Years so that I could lock him in the barn, Ace him and stuff cotton in his ears before the 'festivities' started.

right there with you, have already tranquilized two terrified horses..I hate New Years and 4th of July!!!! unfortunately locking mine in promotes colicing, no win situation... i think it terrifies him more to not be able to get away....

I feel your pain, OP. I hate fireworks around residential areas and animals. I especially hate when fireworks are set off around my horses by people who should know better. One of my horses HATES fireworks so much that he will be a complete emotional, spooky wreck for weeks after July 4th. He even hates the smell of the residue spent fireworks leave behind and will do everything possible to get away from them. Unfortunately, fireworks are allowed outside of the city limits in my parts, which is where most horses and barns are located so I can't do anything to stop people or get away from it.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Fireworks are legal here, but some of the ones I hear going off out there sound too powerful to be legal. Luckily the dog and cats don't seem to be too freaked out. Hope it's not as bad out at the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by cyndi View Post
    It sounds like a war zone at my house now. Unfortunately I live in one of the few places around Houston where private fireworks are not illegal.
    My husband LOVES setting off fireworks. It is one of the few things he likes about having land. And at first, I worried about it - but then I realized that everyone around us was going to shoot them off (this was when we lived in Alvin, too), so I didn't care. And I have seen the horses standing out at the fence watching the fireworks, not seemingly upset. (I am going to go out and check here in a bit on the two rescues).

The only time I saw them get really upset was when were at a boarding barn in Pearland. The horses were in the barn, which was closed up tight, and a neighbor was setting fireworks off over the barn. They could hear but not see them, and it was NOT good...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Well, my neighbor is setting off his homemade cannon! His backyard sits 50 yards away from my run-in shed. I nixed any thoughts of joining hubby at a friends party, in case the horses panic and get out. So it's just me, the dog, and the horses.
    Cindy

My neighbors(or the LOUD Family) as we have nicknamed them because if it isn't dirtbikes or atvs racing around it is tuning up the racecar or setting off fireworks. The day they decided to play with black powder was when I called the police. I mean it made the windows in my house rattle.
    We have now graduated this nite to a spectacular() fireworks display which has now as we speak climaxed into a hard metal rock concert(oh yay). I don't even want to think about what my stalls are going to look like in the morning.
    The thing is I could take the music but the fireworks thing has got me pissed because we have got a pretty good drought going on in N.FL. and the fact that the county issued sales licenses to these idiot firework sales tents pisses me off-I mean really WTF???
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

The drunk neighbors in my area are actually trying to let off fireworks in the POURING down rain. It's going about as well as you might expect.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Well misery loves company, I guess - just got in and my neighbors were doing the same. F-tards. The dogs are being a bit clingy but the horses actually didn't seem to mind it. With these neighbors if it isn't their driveway parties it is their Harleys and now fireworks. I wish they'd disappear and take their asshattery elsewhere.

Patrick didn't care, I went out and checked on him twice during the barrage to find him asleep with a leg cocked and "why are you shining a light on me??"

The younger Sheltie, however, was glued to my leg all night and tried to climb in bed with me.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I was a bit concerned about Fireworks tonight, but rather we had wicked electrical storms and pouring rain all night. I think I would have preferred an hour of fireworks than endless hours of thunder and lightning and driving rain.

Although I do feel your pain, my OTTB is ridiculously brave, I hate fireworks because it keeps ME awake!

I'm in MD and we had them too. I hate my neighbors. Left the guys out and they seem to be ok.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

None last night, but 4th of July fireworks seem to go on for weeks. My guys are OK if they are turned out, but not OK in the barn. Last summer, I had an injured horse on his first day of stall rest and the freakin' neighbors started setting off fireworks for a birthday party. I went flying up to their house screaming at them to stop. Since they're friends, we still joke about it, but now they know to give me advance notice so I can tranq if necessary.

They set of fireworks on the farm I live and board on. horses generally don't care. and they are licensed. 4th of July is spectacular.

Also, people can be private, and licensed. not sure what it takes, but I know my instructor and her dad do them here, legally.

I don't even know if they're legal here or not, but our neighbors set off fireworks through the whole month of July and on Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND NYE. I am so sick of fireworks! No horses at home, but two dogs who think the world is ending when the fireworks start.

We are all pretty tired and cranky this morning. Thanks, neighbors.
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Does no one train their horses for noises like guns, fireworks, backfires? Starting with a starting gun or small caliber hand gun or something like a .22 rifle at a distance and gradually building up both level of noise and closeness to the horses....I often do this while they are eating after they get the first exposure or two. No silliness here over fireworks or guns. Live somewhere else and had a 5.8 earthquake....they weren't too happy about that....but the second one that night (a 5.3 if my memory is right) didn't bother them at all. Had a friend who rode in Civil War reenactments....horses had to tolerate black powder cannons (those were LOUD!!)...and lots of horses now competing in mounted shooting (some with earplugs but some without too). Way safer to train for noise/lights than have them running through fences or tearing up stalls. JMO.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't really have access to a gun to do gun training.

My older two mares have lived through several years of fireworks now and have gotten more tolerant. The new 4 year old was a bit freaked and broke through her stall door during night check.

But I Hate Fireworks when they are so close ... as in less than 600 feet from my house ... they are pretty but I seriously dislike the noise.

*Star*, still mumbling
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    The drunk neighbors in my area are actually trying to let off fireworks in the POURING down rain. It's going about as well as you might expect.
    LOL, I thought I had to guard my yard with a hose before the rain set in (after all my dearest neighbor torched most of her and her neighbor's back yard with a leaf fire ) and my yard is not raked...

But the good Lord was kind and send us not only HEAVY rain but also strong winds...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.