The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Default Favorite quotes

New Year's seems like a good time to share quotes that inspire us or make us think. So I'll start. I would love to hear yours!
    • It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not. ~~ unknown
    • The world has the habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show that he knows where he is going.—Napoleon Hill
    • No woman/man is worth your tears and the only one who is, will never make you cry.
      -- Source Unknown
    • We all let people into our lives, but you will find that really good friends let you into your own.
    • The world is full of people who will go their whole lives and not actually live one day. I do not intend on being one of them.
    • Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.~~my daughter

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

"Each night when you go to bed, ask yourself...did I do my very best today?"
    -Apollo Ohno

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, uses that something to support their own existence" Frank Zappa

"It's not your fault. But it IS your problem."

My boss of 10 years.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Thumbs up

Whether you think you can do something or not, you're probably right. I think that nicely sums up the effect attitude, etc., makes.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king."

Eramus

It can be done.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

If you always do, what you always did, then you'll always get, what you always got. -Kyra Kyrklund

"Intellectuals solve problems. Geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein.

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance." Oscar Wilde.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

"the power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who don't have it"
    George Bernard Shaw
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

why grieve because all your dreams did not come true, neither did all your nightmares.

90% of the friction in daily life is caused by the wrong tone of voice

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. -John Wooden

I have kind of a lot. . .

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -- Dr. Seuss

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone." -- Audrey Hepburn

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
    — Audrey Hepburn

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
    — Apple Inc.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Eleanor Roosevelt

"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness."
    — Ralph Waldo Emerson

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman." — Virginia Woolf

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." — Marianne Williamson

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." — Helen Keller

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."
    — Shel Silverstein

"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company."
    — Mark Twain

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    — Margaret Mead

"If you're gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others. - Douglas Adams

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. - Hannah Whitall Smith

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself. - Richard Francis Burton

A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets. - Arthur C Clarke

The people have a right to the truth as they have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." - Epictetus (55-135AD) Greek Phrygian Philosopher

Wisdom consists of the anticipation of consequences. - Norman Cousins

History is a vast early warning system. - Norman Cousins

I think mainly whether you call it Buddhism or another religion, self-discipline, that's important. Self-discipline with awareness of consequences." -- Dalai Lama, Feb 2010

*star*, who likes to collect these
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926
    RIP Carleigh 1999-2011

Hello! Quote addict here! I keep a stickie (Mac application) on my computer and I add various quotes I find around the internets that I like. Here's a few (I also have a 30+ page Word document with more quotes)

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who are alive.”*– Howard Thurman

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great. When you are seeking to bring big plans to fruition, it is important with whom you regulary associate. Hang out with friends who are likeminded and who are also designing purpose filled lives. Similarly, be that kind of friend for your friends".-Mark Twain

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed. -Bernard Edmonds

Today is a perfect day to be the person you want to be. -Lori Deschene

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.- Albert Einstein

"Be Daring. Be Different. Be Impractical. Be Anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the 'play it safers', the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary"-Cecil Beaton

I can resist everything except temptation.
    - Oscar Wilde

Received on a Christmas card that I have saved for 20 years:

"The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain...until it is secured for all of us, and incorporated into our common life". Jane Adams

Think of how long ago in our history as a country she wrote this!

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part."

"Ride him like you stole him."

"It is what it is."