The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steam Mops?

Any of you have one? What are your likes/dislikes about your particular model?

I just cleaned the kitchen floor and the dogs promptly tracked in mud. Which is unusual for Phoenix, but we had massive rains and cold and I just cleaned up the patio and .... Anyway, tired of the Swiffer, thinking of getting a steam mop that has attachment(s) to clean other stuff.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I got my mom one (the Shark version) for Christmas and used it briefly. It really got the floor clean, clean, clean. It was also very easy to use. Since we breed dogs, I was worried about her mopping up with the chemicals from the Swiffer with little ones toddling around. I know they claim the product is 100% safe, but the steam mop doesn't use any chemicals, which has to be better.

I just got a Bissell for Christmas and am planning to give it a whirl later today. I'll let you know how I like it!

Does the shark vacuum in addition to mopping? I really hate cleaning bare floors!

timely thread...I've been considering getting one for a couple of months but was waiting to do some research on them. Please tell me more

Love my Shark steamer!! Now that I have no carpet, it cleans my floors easily and it's easy enough to use every day (I'm a bit phobic about dirty floors ).
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Quote Originally Posted by HorsRdr477 View Post
    Does the shark vacuum in addition to mopping? I really hate cleaning bare floors!
    The Shark version that I got my mom does not vacuum - I don't know if any of their models do. I think Bissell may have one that vacuums. I am visiting my parents with my Doberman,who sheds quite a bit, and I used the Shark without vacuuming beforehand (just to test it out) and it did nothing to get rid of those little black hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick View Post
    The Shark version that I got my mom does not vacuum - I don't know if any of their models do. I think Bissell may have one that vacuums. I am visiting my parents with my Doberman,who sheds quite a bit, and I used the Shark without vacuuming beforehand (just to test it out) and it did nothing to get rid of those little black hairs.
    I checked out their website and they do have a vacuuming model, but it's almost $200 . I wonder if it's worth it.

I have a Bissel model that was around $80. I used it once or twice, and I haven't used it since. It's a royal pain to use, and the little cloths that come with the mop won't even do half my kitchen floor. They get so sopping wet that they just swish around dirty water. My kitchen isn't very large. I would need probably 6 to 8 of the cloths to actually do the whole kitchen. Much easier just to use a mop and bucket, and it does about the same job.

I must have gotten a lemon because I hate my shark steam mop. Its so hard to use its like scrubbing the floor by hand but standing up.

I have the Eureka Enviro-something one, bought it over a decade ago, it gets used harder and more often than a rental car and still looks/works like new.

It was $199 way back then out of the Frontgate magazine. You can find them now for $60-$80 online. Back then steam mops were new, now lots of companies make them.

Get a steam only one. The vacuum ones are piddly with both the vacuum side and the steam side because they just can''t do both well enough.

Mine you just glide lightly over the floor and the floor will go from a filthy, ground in sticky mess to immaculate in 1 swipe. And 10 seconds later it's dry. Nirvana...I ADORE it. No chemicals, just steam. And the cloth pads get tossed in the wash. If there's something really nasty sticky in one spot, just stop the steamer over it and count to 5, then move it and it's gone. Floor gleams.

Nice bonus, it removes wallpaper like buttah. Takes 1 minute to fill with water, 10 minutes to build up enough heat and steam and then it takes me 15 minutes to get my entire 12x24 tiled kitchen and hardwood foyer and hallway sparkling. And for bathroom floors...nothing else removes the gummy hairspray from my daughter's bathroom floor easier than this does.

It requires no oomph, just glide it along.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thumbs up

I haven't gotten one (my budget doesn't extend beyond a recycled sponge mop ) but LOOOOOOVE the idea of actually DIDINFECTING. No CHEMICALS, either. As an allergy sufferer that has a reallly hard time with the garbage that sticks in rugs (I've been advised to steam-clean once a year, as it kills bugs in addition to actually removing dirt, LOOOOOVE removing dirt and killing bugs on ALL kinds of surfaces.

I love my Bissell steam mop.

I had one before and LOVED it but put scented oil in the water and I think that messed it up over time. I like that it just uses water and the pads wash up easily. I use it on my hardwoods too.

I have one of the Shark ones that doesn't vacuum. My friend borrowed it and hasn't given it back. I guess she loves it too. I use it on my textured vinyl and hardwood floors.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I loved my Shark. The best part was the fact my youngest liked to use it so she would do the floor. It didn't last that long though before it stopped steaming. I should probably get another - my kitchen floor was a lot cleaner when I had it.

Anyone using a steam mop on a really old hardwood floor? I have looked at them several times, but I keep chickening out because I have hardwood floors that are original to my apt, from 1926. They have been refinished, but there are the little gaps that you get in old floors, and I keep being afraid that steam/water will not be good for them. But I hate mopping, so right now they look horrible, and most of your replies are really tempting me to run right one and buy one immediately

I do like my Shark, but I don't love it. I wish it had a bit more substance to it so that the handle wasn't so flimsy.

Has anyone had any experience with the H2O mop?

We have a shark and it sits in the corner of the pantry collecting dust. Its kinda a pain in the ass. The mop pads don't stay attached to the bottom of the machine because after so many washing it shrinks and the velcro doesn't stick. The cord on the mop isn't long enough and you have to refill the water a bunch. You are better off just using a regular mop and giving your floor a good scrubbing every 6 months or so.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I have a Bissel model that was around $80. I used it once or twice, and I haven't used it since. It's a royal pain to use, and the little cloths that come with the mop won't even do half my kitchen floor. They get so sopping wet that they just swish around dirty water. My kitchen isn't very large. I would need probably 6 to 8 of the cloths to actually do the whole kitchen. Much easier just to use a mop and bucket, and it does about the same job.
    I have a Bissell one that was about $100. And it is garbage. It didn't get the floors cleaned, actually damaged part of my vinyl floor, and then broke after 2-3 uses. I was so excited thinking mopping would be easier and I might be more inclined to do it. Not so!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I just got an Oreck steam mop 50. I've only used it twice but so far I love it.

It's a small stripped down model, with no attachments but it cleans my tile floors well and quickly.

I slightly dampen the pads before I start. Because it only deposits a thin layer of moisture on the floor everything dries really quickly.