The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog throwing up his food- thoughts?

While I was gone over Christmas break my dog stayed at a kennel. He's not a big eater to begin with, and when I'm gone he tends to eat even less. They said he didn't eat much while he was at the kennel, but they gave him some wet food so he'd have something in his tummy when he wouldn't eat the dry food I sent him with.

I picked him up Wednesday night and he definitely lost weight while he was there.

He didn't want to eat yesterday, he had a bite or two of food, but mostly ignored it. I tried drizzling a little bit of chicken broth over it, but that didn't get him too excited either.

This morning he ate almost the normal amount of breakfast, but left a couple bites in the bowl. With in an hour or two he threw it all up.

I'm thinking he threw up because his tummy was empty and then he ate too much? Would that make sense? Any thoughts on how to get some food in him that'll make him feel better but not make him throw up anymore?

He's a 6 year old yellow lab
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

How about taking the dog to the vet?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    How about taking the dog to the vet?
    Definitely an option, I just wasn't sure it was that serious?

Yes, take the dog to the vet. It could be nothing, or it could be something like pancreatitis (which my dog had). That can be a very serious condition -- probably, and hopefully, your dog does not have it, but better safe than sorry, take him to the vet!

I just put a call in to the vet. The vet is with a patient right now but is going to call me back as soon as she gets out.

Good for you! Is your dog drinking water? With pancreatitis they don't drink water either. As I said before, it probably is not pancreatitis, but if it is you will want to get the dog seen today.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help- I don't know what I'd do without you knowledgeable COTH'ers!

He's had a little bit to drink, but well below normal, maybe half his normal amount. My (amazing, wonderful, fantastic) vet called me back and agreed that he should probably come in. She didn't think it was a critical emergency so we have an appointment for this afternoon in 2 hours.

I had no idea this could potentially be something serious, so I really appreciate the advice!

Once I had one throwing up and it turned out that he had eaten a ($2500!) pot scrubbie. Yes, one of those little plastic things that cost about 50 cents turned into 2 surgeries, 2 overnight stays at the doggie ER for monitoring & about 5 days before he would get up and walk again. Then again, he had complications due to his epilepsy and not absorbing his meds for a few days until the symptoms were noticeable. When he promptly barfed up the water he had just drunk, I knew ...
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Has he pooped? Could be an obstruction.

poor guy, hope its nothing serious!

Not to scare you but I am unfortunately very familiar with dog vomit these days. My 4 year old Golden who never vomited, ever - started vomiting and hers was an obstruction. She ate dog toy parts including fabric from the head of a dog toy rattle She is fine now after $5k surgery. Is it possible your dog ingested bedding or toys at the kennel? I ask because my Golden eats "stuff" from anxiety or lack of exercise. When she is content, she doesn't chew/eat bad things.

Dog #2 started vomiting food and we later found lymphoma - cancer blocking the exit of her stomach.

My two cases are extreme and were within weeks of each other (Merry Xmas to us!!)....but my point is, take your dog to the vet. Could just be an upset belly - I hope so and hope your pup is okay.

BTW you may want to try in-home dog sitters. Call your vet and ask if any of the vet techs do it. We no longer board...SO much cheaper to in-home pet sit - sitter stays overnight, watches house and with 4 dogs, it is a bargain And they are happier and can't catch things, stress or get sick from the kennel.

If it's nothing serious, I always withhold food for the next meal and start them on rice and chicken or hamburger or cottage cheese. Two of mine have sensitive stomachs, which they outgrew.

This doesn't sound like the problem with your dog, but I have two dogs that were throwing up pretty routinely after eating. With them, however, it was because they were eating too fast. I now put a rubber ball in each dog bowl so that they have to eat around it. This has slowed down their eating enough that the throwing up problem is now gone.

This probably won't help you, but I thought it might help someone else who may be reading. Good luck with your guy.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Vomiting, aside from diarrhea or lethargy, is one of the most non-specific symptoms out there an animal can have. Almost any disease can result in vomiting, whether it's gastrointestinal disease, metabolic, or otherwise.

Speculation does nothing; best go to your vet and figure it out. Most of the time it's just some gastroenteritis ("upset tummy") and will resolve on its own, but as others have pointed out, sometimes it's a much more serious condition. I've seen 3-4 dogs in one night with vomiting that owners let go on for a week...all had an obstruction. If they had been proactive initially, they may have not gotten to the point they did.

FWIW, pancreatitis dogs may still drink -- there is a huge spectrum of how severely dogs are affected. It's a complex disease process.

Good luck and I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

He's had obstructions before (we've had to do the surgery twice with him!) and those had much different symptoms than he has this time around.

The vet asked me to leave him there. He's pretty dehydrated and has lost a bunch of weight, so they want to put him on IV fluids and nutrients until they figure out what they problem is. He mentioned kidneys or liver and he's also going to xray to see if there is an obstruction, but he felt that was unlikely.

I probably won't have any news on how he's doing until tomorrow or Sunday. They said it'll take a while to get blood results back since it's a holiday weekend.

I know it's probably nothing serious, but I'm really worried.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help!

Is he neutered? My rottie boy had a VERY poor appetite until he was neutered (just shy of his 4th birthday) this summer. I'm not kidding when I tell you, from puppyhood, it was a struggle to get this dog to eat every.single.day. He got plenty of exercise (an hour or so of hiking every day, swimming, obedience classes, romping with doggy friends, etc.), and I tried all kinds of foods from premium grain-free kibble to raw. Sometimes he would just look at it and wander off, sometimes he would eat a little, sometimes he would eat it all. I finally hit on a tiny bit of dry grain-free kibble + cooked ground beef + cottage cheese + raw egg as the combo that most tempted him. At horse shows, I'd get him plain beef patties, which had to be broken into little pieces in order for him to be interested. (A dad once watched me feed him by hand in amazement and asked me why... I demonstrated by handing over a full patty, which Bravo politely took and then gently deposited in the grass.)

He was fully examined on more than one occasion with "perfect health" results.

About a week after he was neutered, everything changed. He now eats regular meals of Taste of the Wild grain free kibble and ... NOTHING ELSE! And he eats it as soon as I put it down. Amazing.

ETA: All the non-eating was also coordinated with near-daily vomit episodes. Sometimes a little, sometimes a good part of whatever I managed to get him to eat. NO vomiting since being neutered.
    Last edited by Melissa.Van Doren; Dec. 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Let us know how your dog is doing. Of course it is worrying not knowing what it is, but at least you got him good care so he can be rehydrated etc. I'm hoping for you that it turns out to be something that's not a big deal.

Poor doggie. He is probably feeling a lot better with the iv fluids.

My vets always tell me that going without food for even 36 hours is just fine, as long as they can drink and keep the water down.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I am glad you took him to the vet.

This past summer I had a terrible experience with my dog that began similarly. $2000, 4 months, and 3 vets later, we finally figured out it was intestinal polyps, which had been catching hair and other junk that my dog ingested, and stopping her up, but only partially. So she'd sometimes eat, sometimes not--sometimes poop, sometimes not...and on and on. Her normal weight is 58 lbs, and by the end of the summer, she was down to 31. It was horrific and terrifying. The diagnoses were myriad: cancer, pancreatitis, slipped disc, obstruction, "just the heat making her not want to eat."

I will never look at vomiting in dogs as JUST vomiting ever, ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Vomiting, aside from diarrhea or lethargy, is one of the most non-specific symptoms out there an animal can have. Almost any disease can result in vomiting, whether it's gastrointestinal disease, metabolic, or otherwise.

Speculation does nothing; best go to your vet and figure it out. Most of the time it's just some gastroenteritis ("upset tummy") and will resolve on its own, but as others have pointed out, sometimes it's a much more serious condition. I've seen 3-4 dogs in one night with vomiting that owners let go on for a week...all had an obstruction. If they had been proactive initially, they may have not gotten to the point they did.

FWIW, pancreatitis dogs may still drink -- there is a huge spectrum of how severely dogs are affected. It's a complex disease process.

Good luck and I hope your dog is feeling better soon.
    Yep, my Yorkie with pancreatitis drank gallons.

Big jingles for Lone's dog.