The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Immunal for foal? Or other immune booster?

I've been looking for information for some time now but can't seem to find anything useful... I'm considering putting one of my foals on Immunal after having read rave reviews about it, but I can't find a dosage for foals, or if this is even safe for a seven month old. Of my other horses, he seems to be the most susceptible to infection, so I've been looking for an immune system booster for him. Right now he's got a little cough and runny nose, but I don't really want anti-biotics. I liked the sound of Immunal because it was, supposedly, 100% natural ingredients, but I'm put off by the price. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

I think it's 10ml daily for a foal. I've used it on many of my babies, and I am a believer in it. It lasts a while too. What I've done is do like a 10 days course of it for the babies, then take them off, and typically they are good. If not, or if I have one that has a real "problem", then I continue. I had a baby who was really touch and go for about 30 days. I kept her on it throughout the whole ordeal. She was in rough shape, but I really think this helped boost her. Works great on snotty noses and coughs too.

I give it to youngsters before shows and inspections too.

Call Edgar, he'll give you the right dosing, and let you know more info.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I sent an email, hopefully I will get a reply soon?

It's likely I'll wind up buying it, for just-in-case sort of days, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while I wait for the Immunal? It's nothing serious, just a runny nose, so I don't feel like I need to have the vet come out, but anything quick and simple that I could cook up to last him until I hear back/it gets here?

Not familiar with this.....what is it and what is it supposed to do and how? I've always felt the occasional snotty nose in foals is similar to snotty noses in kids....just a cold that they will likely recover from in a few days to a week. If this is the case then giving something for 10 days would see a "cure" in that time that in reality has little or nothing to do with the "something" that was given, wouldn't it? Most viral colds in kids last several days to a week and then the kid has developed antibodies (immunity) to that particular virus...but could still get another cold from a different virus. I've always been taught that the immune system functions best when it is exposed to things (not in overwhelming numbers at a time but a variety over a period of time). I know that one of the things I've seen lately is statements that possibly the increasing incidence of immune related diseases in kids may be due to a LACK of exposure to "normal" viruses during early childhood....we keep them too clean! I've also seen that many of the "immune boosters" claimed esp in herbals are not effective when tested in objective blind studies. Is this true in horses as well (not sure a placebo effect happens with horses but could certainly happen with their owners?)

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while I wait for the Immunal? It's nothing serious, just a runny nose
    If the critter is healthy, let his own immune system handle it. That's what it was designed for and we delude ourselves that we can dial it up and down like a rheostat with herbs and spices. Thank GOD this complex and well-designed system functions in spite of our meddling.

The only "immune booster" on the market with legitimate science behind it is EqStim. Everything else is in the realm of nutraceuticals, with scant to no evidence of efficacy but plenty of ga-ga testimonials.

Just about every baby gets the snots at one point or another. I watch them, make sure they're bright and eating well, no fever, and that their deworming is up to date. If they go downhill at all in terms of their demeanor, coughing, acting depressed, etc. then I'll pull out the antibiotics.

Treat 'em with antibiotics and they get better in seven days. Don't treat them . . . they get better in a week.
    Click here before you buy.

Haha, I think the same thing about kids too. I got into a discussion with a woman at a library I used to work at about that, and I personally don't like to rely on medicine anyway (which is why I liked the "natural" sound of Immunal).

I'm just extra worrisome with my foal, as he's the first I've dealt with, and he had such a rough start at life before I got him that I was concerned that much more. I don't know a thing about his history, the person I got him from never returned any of my emails, and I was so alarmed by the mare's state and his own when I went to look at them that I decided to get them out of there ASAP. But he's fat and super sassy now, bulked up nice for winter and growing like a weed.

I've only had them four months, but around mid-November is when I noticed the foal starting to act a little differently. Basically, around the time I started to wean him. I don't find it ultra concerning, as he still gets out and about and eats his rations, and he seems overall healthy, but ever since I got a new foal as his play-mate he's seemed a little off. He does seem depressed, or at least more grouchy, but I figure it's because my new foal is getting more persistent in trying to get Mer out of the barn to play in the nasty weather, and in turn Mer is learning to imitate his (grouchy, pregnant) mother. In the beginning they were really well together though, so I don't understand this sudden upset between them. They don't fight, though neither of them are gelded yet either, though I would think they're too young (nine and seven/eight months) to start showing studish behavior?

The new foal doesn't appear to be ill either, the vet checked him out and wrote him off as a great, healthy little guy, and he's always been energetic and happy. I've thought about having the vet out to look them both over again, but the first two times he was out he never found anything wrong, so I don't know that a third time would be any different... It could just be the winter blues, before we got all this nasty snow they were both in a great mood and loved to get out and about.

So I was just thinking the Immunal/whatever else might give him that added boost of support, like a nice little cup of Sunny D. I don't know... Thoughts are still appreciated. I did get an email back from Edgar (really quick!) and it is 10ml for a foal. I just wonder if something like it might not improve his mood, if anything -- though I'm sure for that there'd have to be a cheaper solution.

Sounds like you're looking for something that is pretty hard to put your finger on. Maybe an herbal remedy is just the ticket in this case! But "natural" is not synonymous with safe, gentle, or harmless!

Yes, weanling colts can begin showing adolescent-boy behavior. That doesn't mean necessarily that they'd be "grumpy", however. Sometimes that's just their innate temperament showing.

Has he been dewormed regularly? Babies require a little more than adults, and are susceptible to getting coughs and boogies if they have a migration of worms through the lungs. If your boy got off to a rough start environment-wise, he may have more than his share of parasites.

Haha, yeah. Since I'm new to foals he's been an experience for sure. An herbal remedy is just what I have in mind (the Immunal claims to be made out of seven herbs but there really isn't a whole lot of information, that I can find, about just now "natural" it is). I've also been looking around for some herbs that will give his immune system a little edge, and though I've found some ("37 Herbs and Remedies for Fabulously Healthy Animals), there's absolutely zero suggestion on dosage...

I'm hoping that he's just trying to be a big boy, and that his temperament isn't linked to any sickness. His mother can be a bit of a grump, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was in some way like her, I just hope that he'll grow out of it. In any case, if he is turning out to be like her, calming herbs might benefit the both of them, mood-wise...?

I've wormed him on the 1st of every month since I've had him -- vet also suggested that was a good routine -- and have kept a good eye on him in that area. There was one episode where he needed an extra dosage at about two months in, but I haven't seen anything else to suggest he was very wormy. They've all got healthy stool and I can't see any sign of worms via that direction.

The answer to everything is not an herb. Certainly not the temperaments we (or our horses) are born with -- those are hard-wired. And unless he's desperately ill with repeated and unexplainable infections, his immune system doesn't need any "edge". Remember that an immune system that does more than we ask of it is just as disastrous as one that doesn't work at all. Again, it's MERCIFULLY out of reach of our fiddling around with, no matter what the herb-peddlers insist.