The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drivers that would flunk drivers ed today....

I drive for a living. I do home health care. If I was not a mega defensive driver I would have been in nearly daily wrecks by now. I have a regular barrage of tailgaters. Do they not teach the 2 second rule anymore? (Or does no one take drivers ed anymore?.

When the tailgater is a dumptruck like the other day it is particularly un nerving. Passing on hills and curves is my pet peeve though. It is made worse by the fact we live in Amish Country with all the buggies on the road. Somehow folks never learned safe driving skills at all OR the think it magically does not apply in the case of a buggy in front of them. Buggy in front of me on a hill or curve. First the person behind me looks miffed and antsy. He/she may start honking at me at this point. Often if I will not pass the buggy at this point they will pass me and he buggy. It is just as bad coming the other direction. I am in my lane and the buggy is in the oncomig traffic lane. The person in the oncoming lane will pass the buggy INTO MY LANE. WITH ME IN IT. I have to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid them. It has gotten to the point that if I see a buggy in the oncoming lane I am already moving towards the shoulder anticiapting the eedjit in the other lane is coming to get me.....and sadly 80% of the time I am right. The worst one of all was last week. Someone actually passed a buggy into my lane. AND WE WERE ON A BRIDGE! Then there are all he folks doing 55 on the slushy roads aftger a recent snow. Usually the folks in 4 WDs are the biggest offenders. Somehow they magically think that because they can GO faster on the bad roads with 4WD their brakes will magically work better too. I am terrified to have my teenager learn to drive in a couple years.

Sweetie, if you have "a regular barrage of tailgaiters" you might think about "One finger pointed out, three more pointed back."

Are you driving too slowly?

Mind you, I have driven with some whackos--the cowpaths of Boston where "a lane is wherever you happen to be." LA freeways being the most nuts. You need to be going 65 at the top of the on-ramp. You can pass where ever-- on the right is just as good as on the left. That freaks me out.

But it really freaks me out when it's done on the East Coast where passing on the right is less common. You never know if everyone is playing by Right- or Left Coast rules.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Sweetie, if you have "a regular barrage of tailgaiters" you might think about "One finger pointed out, three more pointed back."

Are you driving too slowly?

Mind you, I have driven with some whackos--the cowpaths of Boston where "a lane is wherever you happen to be." LA freeways being the most nuts. You need to be going 65 at the top of the on-ramp. You can pass where ever-- on the right is just as good as on the left. That freaks me out.

But it really freaks me out when it's done on the East Coast where passing on the right is less common. You never know if everyone is playing by Right- or Left Coast rules.
    the tailgagters: I am doing 65 in a 55 on the major roads. The other eedjits are doing 80. I call the 2 worst roads for this the PA Autobahn. (Yes, there are police speed traps on it too fairly regualrly. Does not seem to deter folks.) on the back/curvy roads am usually at the speed limit....aka doing 40 in a 40. There are sooo many buggies on the back roads it is dangerous to do more than that because at any moment you might top a hill and find a buggy in front of you doing 10 mph.

I live about a mile from a major secondary road that is a busy north south route...just a two lane road...it has no shoulder, lots of driveway access, schoolbusses, farm machines, etc... The speed limit is 55 but since it's a wide open flat area, people do tend to drive faster. I try very hard to keep my speed to no more than 60 and around 55. I am passed all the time.

Our local City of Suffolk/VA roads are even worse and not a good alternative...narrow, no lines, with ditches on each side. Two large vehicles can barely pass each other...so using those roads instead is not easy and can be dangerous also just due to the crappy design. If you cross into nearby NC, you get wider roads and painted lines and shoulders on all roads. It's like changing from a 3rd world nation to a first when it comes to the quality of roads.

The normal speed limit on that secondary road is 70 to 75. I have been passed by 18 wheelers on this road while I was doing 60 mph and they must have been doing 80 mph. There is no where to go if something goes wrong. In one point, you cross over a swamp and there is a steep drop into water...and people go into it all the time. We have a shocking number of fatal accidents on this road..maybe not so shocking considering how fast people drive.

I was passed one day by a blazing idiot. She pulled into oncoming traffic to do it...almost had a head on collision...if I had not slammed on my brakes to let her back in our lane, it probably would have been one right in front of me. They the idiot woman went half a mile farther and turned off into her driveway. I laid on the horn and shook my fist her at that point. I have to be really ticked off to to do that but the silly bimbo almost got me and several others killed just to pull of into her driveway a short ways down the road. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad or so dangerous to others.

So, anyway...I do truly sympathize with you. Thankfully we do not have the Amish to contend with here...if we did, it would be a slaughter the way people drive. I don't know what is wrong with people's driving skills but I think folks are just in such a godawful hurry anymore that they do stupid stuff.

Every single driver should have to volunteer to be on a highway rescue squad and spend time helping at car accidents. I was cured of any desire to take stupid chances back in 2000 when I was the first person upon the scene of a fatal accident. A woman, in a hurry, backended a school bus. The kids were OK but she was pinned in the wreck. I stood beside her for about 40 minutes until the local rescue folks got there. She died while I held her hand. She left behind 2 kids and a husband and she was maybe 30. She was driving too fast and never saw the bus in the glare...she never even tried to stop.

I just wanted to add that I'm all for traffic cameras and giving tickets that way. The police do occasionally sit on the secondary road but every idiot warns the oncoming traffic by flashing their lights so they don't catch a fraction of the idiots that are driving like banshees.

I see no reason why the City/State could not make a fortune in traffic tickets with cameras and then put that money into improving the roads. It would also make driving so much safer.

There are tons of tailgaters here in Mass, it doesn't matter how fast you go, they want to go faster. Seriously, they'll tailgate you at 80 in the middle lane! I've sorted them into two types...the aggressive tailgaters and the space shots.

The aggressive ones are scary and dangerous and I just move over and get out of their way, they can tailgate the person who was in front of me instead. These folks are glaring, giving you the finger, flashing their brights, etc...

The space shots drive up your butt out of habit or because they are not paying attention to the road or traffic conditions, just following the car in front of them. For these folks, I have a solution. My car has these stupid headlight washers that are oddly powerful, considering they are only supposed to squirt up a couple of inches to do the headlight. I really think that the car manufacturer intended for me to do what I did...aimed them up higher, so they go over the roof of the car. They are really very strong jets, if I hit them at speed, it goes over the top of my car and all over the car behind me. If the tailgater is on the phone or otherwise just clueless, I hit them with the washer fluid...they wake right up and either back off or change lanes. This summer, had a woman in a little BMW convertible on my rear, less than a car length off my tail at 70, doing her makeup. I got a very big kick of soaking her, she had her top down . So much for the makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    the tailgagters: I am doing 65 in a 55 on the major roads. The other eedjits are doing 80.
    I hear you. There's a section of a highway near me where the posted speed limit is 55. That means you are an a-hole if you aren't going 70. Other drivers will let you know.

I pity the fools. See, roads are designed for an optimal speed-- the width of the lanes, vertical and horizontal visibility are all part of that. Until you have driven on 280-- a short but award-winning bit of freeway on the San Francisco Peninsula, you have no idea what a 70-75 mph road is. That freeway was built when the national freeway speed limit was 65. The CA DOT, avoiding liability issues, designed that road with a margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Every single driver should have to volunteer to be on a highway rescue squad and spend time helping at car accidents. I was cured of any desire to take stupid chances back in 2000 when I was the first person upon the scene of a fatal accident. A woman, in a hurry, backended a school bus. The kids were OK but she was pinned in the wreck. I stood beside her for about 40 minutes until the local rescue folks got there. She died while I held her hand. She left behind 2 kids and a husband and she was maybe 30. She was driving too fast and never saw the bus in the glare...she never even tried to stop.
    Wow. You are so right. Apparently, those old Drivers Ed films with "acceptable gore" just aren't enough. I'm sorry this happened to you, but your story is worth repeating so that others can be impressed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I am constantly amazed by the bad drivers. I was taught 4 seconds though not 2. Fine with me I leave loads of room especially in snow, ice and rain. I am amazed though at a couple of things. 1) the number of people who will park themselves in the left lane on the highway and go under the speed limit. Hello were you not taught that that is the passing lane. 2) the speed people travel at in lousy conditions and on side roads, our eejit neighbour is usually at 55 or 60km/hr in front of our house, uh hello it is a dead end road, they are the third house in, when leaving you have a stop sign about 400 feet past our driveway, really is it necessary. 3) people passing when it is truly unsafe to do so. Same eejit was tail gating me coming up our street one day, I put my turn signal on to turn into my driveway, start to turn, he passes me on the left. I was a bit mad to say the least, then 12 months later he does the same thing to a friend of mine.

We just had a fatal accident about 50kms from here. Don't know all the details yet but it was three cars. One car was turning left, over a double solid yellow line off of a main road with cars traveling at 90km/hr. Car behind had no place to go but left (don't know if drive in attention, following to close or if car in front just slammed on brakes and stopped to turn) and hit another vehicle head on. It was very sad as the person killed had his family in the vehicle with him and was the poor person in the oncoming lane.

I think people should have to go back and get retested on the rules of the road on a regular basis.

The tailgaters are insane around here. They simply don't realize that tailgating is a SAFETY issue.

One of the very few good things that my stepfather ever did was that he was a trained paramedic. Not a full-time paramedic, but on volunteer call. He lived in one of those teeny-tiny towns where the sole ambulance is parked at the square, and the team is called by the scanner when it is needed. They then drop their every day other life and run to the ambulance. He owned a store himself, and he had a specific "on an ambulance run - store closed" sign. When the scanner sounded, he'd lock up, even in the middle of the day, and go.

He brought back stories regularly from car accidents he'd seen. Broken, twisted people. Senseless injuries and deaths. What always got him worst were the children. And the sounds - somebody screaming or moaning while he was unable to get to them and waiting for the jaws of life.

A whale of a lot of impact on teenagers, of which there were a few in the house, me included. Not that I was ever a reckless personality, but the things he would talk about were FAR beyond those movies in driver's ed. I wished that all teens could have listened to those tales for a while before getting their license. Serious reality and consequences of your actions check.

Life is more important than getting somewhere 2 minutes faster.

I didn't even have to TAKE the driving test In my state if you did well enough in driver's ed. they waived the test and you just had to get an eye exam. Scary, eh? Luckily I had parents that actually taught me to drive well. I can't stand it when it's snowy or slick and someone is tailgating and can't wait to pass me, does nobody have any sense? I usually happen upon them further down the road, in the ditch. Nobody drives worth a darn anymore.

my teenaged daughter will be careful heself. Her older brother had her and her older sister in the car a couple years ago. He was a careless driver (all the time/scared me to death) and hubby and used to fight about me not wanting to let the young un in the car with him/thought I was over reacting.Well one day he did run a stop sign at an intersection/got hit and rolled over his Jeep. Talk about scared t death when he had all 3 kids in the car and we got the call from the police. Fortunately all 3 were OK but it scared her straight before she ever got behind a wheel. Fortunately it scare big bro straight too. They might not have been so lucky though.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

Wow. You are so right. Apparently, those old Drivers Ed films with "acceptable gore" just aren't enough. I'm sorry this happened to you, but your story is worth repeating so that others can be impressed.
    It was a life changing event for me. I got a call a few days later from her brother (who got my name from the police report) thanking me for not letting her die alone. He and I cried together on the phone. I did not know her.

This was just outside a small town where I worked...it was the sort of community where folks were tight knit.

I remember feeling so helpless that I could not help her. It took the jaws of life to get her out. I found out later from a paramedic friend that she had a ruptured aorta and nothing short of an operating room could have saved her...but it was still so hard to accept....to only be able to hold her hand and talk to her....

Anyway, I learned from that tragedy. I slowed down, I refuse to take stupid chances and I drive very defensively. I think if more people could have an experience like that, they would slow down and think a bit.

I drive a LOT and I take pride in being a pretty decent driver (and a female at that!). I used to have REALLY bad road rage about bad/rude drivers. I've gotten better, but they still make me pretty angry. I understand someone tailgating when the driver in front of them is going slow, but I am also SO sick of people riding my butt when I'm going 55+ in a 40mph zone. OR when there is someone in front of me going slow and I cannot pass them (I'm in a Focus, it's not exactly difficult to see the vehicle in front of me!).

The other night we had a blizzard and my town does a HORRIBLE job of plowing roads. Yes, I have studded snow tires, but I still only have FWD and the roads were too crappy to be going the 40 mpg speed limit. I was still managing 30-35mph safely and I had SEVERAL losers in pick-up trucks tailing me. Seriously? Even if the roads weren't as bad as they were, the wind was blowing the snow around so much that visibility was severely compromised. I was tempted to stop my car and get out and ask them what their problem was. Driving in snowing conditions is bad enough, but it's even worse when you have someone on your back bumper.

I pretty much always panic when I get to a 4-way stop intersection. No one knows (or cares) how to handle situations like that and I'm always paranoid I'm going to get hit. Heck, people don't even care about traffic lights anymore. I was 8" away from being T-boned at an intersection where my light was bright green and some old man in a pick-up apparently didn't feel lights pertained to him.

My siblings are absolutely terrible drivers. I refuse to be with them in a vehicle they are driving.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My beef is with people who go the speed limit or under in the left lane on a highway. It's so frustrating that there's no one in the 2 right lanes and you're cruising along happy as as clam. Then, when I'm doing normal highway speed and come up behind you, you can't possibly see that I may want to, ya know, pass.

Also - people who can't use circles. YIELD means yield to oncoming cars, you don't have to STOP DEAD before driving on to the circle that is completely empty!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    It was a life changing event for me. I got a call a few days later from her brother (who got my name from the police report) thanking me for not letting her die alone. He and I cried together on the phone. I did not know her.

This was just outside a small town where I worked...it was the sort of community where folks were tight knit.

I remember feeling so helpless that I could not help her. It took the jaws of life to get her out. I found out later from a paramedic friend that she had a ruptured aorta and nothing short of an operating room could have saved her...but it was still so hard to accept....to only be able to hold her hand and talk to her....

Anyway, I learned from that tragedy. I slowed down, I refuse to take stupid chances and I drive very defensively. I think if more people could have an experience like that, they would slow down and think a bit.
    This will sound strange, but what an honor! We only get to die once and we don't know how to do it. If you made that experience better for her, and better for her brother, that's Big in the Grand Scheme of Things.

And yeah, when I see the person who passed me in a rage at the same red light a bit later, I always think "Yeah, how's *that* working for you? Score, dude! We got to the same place at the same time."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My DH has been a volunteer firefighter for almost 20 years...He got so burned out last year from all the accident calls, caused by idiots, that he pretty much only goes to the fire calls.

Drunk drivers, screaming and spitting and biting at you through what's left of their teeth...

People rolling their cars 4 and 5 times down the side of the highway embankment, who then turn around and try and sue the town, and everyone else (they were only going 80, 90 or so in a 65)...

A few towns over we had a terrible tragedy in early December.. Five teens in the car, the driver used the girlfriends' mothers' car-he only had a permit for 2 weeks, neither he, or the GF can have anyone in the car with them for like 6 or so months (state law)....Anywhooo, they were on an extremely curvy road, speed was a factor, he ran smack into two trees, now four are dead, one boy in the back seat was just woken up last week from an induced coma. He has mulitiple injuries and will be in a rehab facility for weeks. Horrible.

I know I write this a lot but I am an OTR truck driver (female!) and you oughta see what I see on the roads!

Just day before yesterday in central Oregon, people pulled directly out in front of my close-to 40 ton rig or ran a red light and nearly hit my drive tires. I hit my four horns on my cab top and honestly, I hope I scared the snot out of those drivers so that next time they THINK before doing so again. My truck horns sound almost like a lighthouse warning ships at sea. You can't miss it. Nothing wimpy about it.

When I was in trucking school, they had some vids of what the insides of a car looks like when a big rig rolls over them. Scared all of us!

Just recently, hubby and I were first on scene at a pickup rollover and called 911. I have pics somewhere but can't find them right now. Hubby climbed in through the windshield and held the lady (who was upside down) up off her neck so she could breath. Turns out, speed and her thinking she was driving an F350, she thought she was safe. I bandaged up the other lady best I could and waited for Jaws of Life.

Hubby is a former Deputy and FF and para. The stories he can tell of auto accidents give me nightmares. Seatbelts are good and save lives but they also cost lives too. He couldn't get people out of a burning pickup (that had been speeding) and had to listen to them while....you get the picture.

Believe me, most 4 wheelers don't need to be on the road. 70% of car/big rig accidents are caused by the car doing something stoopid.

I could go ON but at least got that off my chest....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Ughhk, try driving in Kentucky. It's terrible. No one uses their turn signals and right of way seems to be whoever hesitates for the least amount of time. I almost got hit turning right with a green arrow by somebody turning left and whose light was obviously red. There is no "aiming high" and looking FAR ahead of you, instead drivers here like to sit in the middle of an intersection blocking everybody else waiting on a red light to change. Yes, I know your light is currently green but if there's nowhere for you to go past that then you have to STAY THERE! Merging is probably the most dangerous thing to attempt- no one moves over or (again) plans ahead when a coming up on a busy exit. It's ridiculous.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

I can't stand tailgaters. I regularly drive on a road that is posted 35 mph for very real reasons- people walk across it, deer run across it, you can't see very far ahead due to curves and trees, really stupid people sometimes try to bike on it- and for some reason everyone tries to drive at 60 mph with a cell phone glued to their ear. I employ the "I will slow down and down and down until you get off my bumper" method which drives the tailgaters insane, but it's quite effective.