The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I never feed more than 5lbs of feed at a meal and actually, in practice, have not fed more than 4lbs. I break it up into 2 or 3 meals. But, the basis of my feeding program is hay. Good quality timothy, timothy/orchard grass and, if needed alfalfa. I add to that, as needed Triple Crown Senior which is a wonderful choice for putting on weight in addition to being a little higher in fat than most feeds and low in NSC (and has beet pulp for fiber). By the way, SafeChoice does not have nearly as low an NSC as TC Senior and it's not a fixed formula feed.

One example is an OTTB we bought 4 years ago. He was extremely thin. We started him on free choice hay, 9lbs of SafeChoice per day and 2lbs of Empower. I discovered TC Senior last year and he now gets free choice timothy/orchard grass mix, one flake of alfalfa and 6lbs of TC Senior per day in 2 meals. We also have a nice grass mix round bale out in the pasture. He's actually a little chunky on this, but we're just going into winter and he's been off work due to our wonderful , unusual winter weather.

I know I'm repeating myself, but if your horse is having an extremely hard time keeping weight on with free choice hay and a reasonable amount of a good quality grain, you may have an ulcer problem that you need to address.

It sounds like you've made a good decision in changing barns. The easier you can make your feeding program for your BO/BM, I would think the more likely it will be followed.

Dalpal, I've been told there are plenty of barns out there that will just throw out bagged supplements. One of my friends caught the barn workers at her barn throwing out her SmartPaks. Could it be any easier than SmartPaks?

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Hey Stranger

Horse peeps are bad about putting their opinions and experience on your horses. It can be hard to find that barn that fits, just in terms of RESPECT.

I'll tell you a little story that I hope will make you chuckle, about ye olde tack shoppe on 119. When my horse poked a stick in his eye, I needed a Guardian Face Mask, pronto. They are pricey, and they block 90% of the UV rays, something like that. I called her and asked if she had them.

Nope, but I've got ___ and they're all the same.

OH, ok, thanks. I really need the Guardian to help manage any injury, but thanks anyway.

Big, all knowing sigh on her end of the line. No you don't need some fancy mask, they are all the same, they all do the same thing. chuckle chuckle tut tut

Pause.

Actually, you're entirely wrong about that, ha ha, but that's ok, it's your right to be wrong.

and I hung up on her.

Wherever you go, you have to be willing to draw the line in the sand that demos, this is mine, this is my money, my investment, and it's MY decision.
    Bahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious! She's so darn opinionated. I think she ignores me a little when I come in because she doesn't agree with some of the people I associate with, kind of a friend loyalty thing since not everyone in our horsey community gets along (obvious by how I haven't managed to get along with the last two barn managers due to the feeding issues). Anyway, just my opinion
    Last edited by ClassynIvansMom; Dec. 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Rice bran oil IS a good way to add calories.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

A friend of mine supplements some of her thinner horses w/ purina Athlete to help build up muscle - and I've seen some horses transform in about 3 weeks - might want to consult w/ your vet about using something like that too. The horses in her barn all look amazing. I know she uses good quality hay and she's pretty generous w/ hay, additionally she's got good pasture and if need be at this time of year the horses get hayrolls. She's a big fan of Pennfields feed also- don't know if you can get it where you are, some of their feed has lots of beet pulp mixed in it which might cut down on having to purchase several different bags of feed.

I would also wonder if the BM wasn't supplementing a few horses with your feed too - at least she wasn't helping herself to your hay... I've a couple of friends who purchased their own hay (as BO wasn't providing enough) only to find out that they BO were using the boarder's hay! In one friend's case, the BO didn't even have the decency to give their horses their purchased hay - she used it for her own ponies!

Yes, I did. And when you didn't gush about someone she likes, she just got quiet. Super example of what I'm about to say

The best lesson I think I ever learned about boarding, training, just getting along in real life in the horse world... is to manage my own business and no one else's, unless I'm asked.

Here's what I mean: If you moved to a barn that required you to provide 5 blankets of varying weights and styles, and that you must provide Strongid, let's say, and you must use ___ farrier, I mean you CAN or COULD do less but you'd be less of an owner if you did....I mean have you read the latest about blah blah blah- then you'd have the opposite problem, someone offering perhaps higher-maintenance care than you yourself believe in. What if they told you that research showed you really must use a Game Ready system after every ride, anything less is borderline abusive? You'd wanna be outta there.

Wherever you go, your own wants and needs should impact the barn's general way of doing things, as little as possible, period. Nobody wants to be 'that' boarder.... So maybe 'educating' the current BO ...was too much data and in time she blew you off and just did what she wanted. Maybe if you had just baggied the feed, and didn't involve her in the learning, who knows, it mighta just happened , or not.... So I know you're going to a self care barn...point being if someone else in that barn feeds nothing but cracked corn and cow hay- guess what- unless you're asked: it's a big fat Nunya Business. Unless it directly and unequivically touches your horse's well being, butt out and leave it be. Because horse peeps rarely agree on everything. Or anything. So only speak up on the things that touch you. Or if you're asked. When my friend P asked me about riding in a full cheek snaffle on a western bridle...THEN I told her that worried me for safety's sake- since a horse reaching around to scratch an itch at his girth, could hook that loose upper prong on his cinch. I saw it, I thought it...but I didn't educate until she asked It's just an ongoing balancing act and it's easy to get in a pickle.

Why am I breaking my own rule, yappin' at ya anyway? Best wishes this barn is the good fit

1 members found this post helpful.

If the BO is going behind your back and not feeding the food you provide, it's time to change barns. Who knows what else she isn't being quite honest about. She's both ripping you off and not looking out for the horse's best interest.

You can argue until you're blue in the face about the better diet, but some people are just going to have different ideas. You and your vet know what's best for this horse - to heck with everyone else.

When you find a new barn, you may want to have it put in writing in the contract that horse's feed will be a specific diet that owner will provide in writing and supply in advance. That avoids misunderstandings. The BO doesn't have to agree with your food choices... she just needs to agree to give it to the horse.

Good luck!

i feel your pain. i have moved 3 times in 8 months! it seems like everywhere i go they are ALWAYS trying to short my horse.... hay, shavings, etc. Even though I am paying full board!
    I'm glad you are able to find a new place to go. Good Luck!

Wow, I must be lucky. I moved once, due to the BO, and the place where we board now is wonderful. Just wonderful. They feed the way I ask, do blankets as asked, turnout, water, etc. It is wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Rice bran oil IS a good way to add calories.
    So I've heard, but my vet cautioned me against using too much oil because it can cause diarrhea, and some horses are finicky about oil. Also, rice bran in the solid form is less expensive than the oil

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    Wow, I must be lucky. I moved once, due to the BO, and the place where we board now is wonderful. Just wonderful. They feed the way I ask, do blankets as asked, turnout, water, etc. It is wonderful!
    Nice, I need to move to YOUR barn! I think I'll be happier with self-care than I have been at these other places, as long as my work schedule still allows twice daily feedings until Ivan gains his weight back. Maybe once he's in better shape, I can start adjusting his diet to maintaining his shape instead of gaining the extra pounds, but who knows when we'll get to that point... maybe not till spring when the grass starts growing again?

Grrrrr... this idiot woman ASSAULTED ME last night when I came to pick up my horses and belongings. Put her hands on my arms, shoulders, and throat, and shoved me back against a wall to try to prevent me from taking all of my hay with me. I called the police, but when they came out they let her get away with keeping 10 of my bales and told me to take it up with civil court. I filled out a police report anyway with a different deputy and took pictures of my small injuries. I'm pressing charges after the holiday... crazy woman. If you ever hear of boarding opportunities in Morris, AL, be sure to get references! I won't divulge the woman's name or her barn's name online here, but definitely double check every barn's references.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Earlier the last sentence of this read that she has mental illness in her family so go figure, which might have been a bit harsh and not very sensitive. I will recant that, but I will also say that certain disorders are often genetic. For example, I have ADHD and it comes down from my father's side, and both my sister and I have it, showing that certain genetic disorders are often passed on.
    Last edited by ClassynIvansMom; Dec. 31, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Glad you have decided to move your horses. It does seem like the best solution.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by erikahana View Post
    Grrrrr... this idiot woman ASSAULTED ME last night when I came to pick up my horses and belongings. Put her hands on my arms, shoulders, and throat, and shoved me back against a wall to try to prevent me from taking all of my hay with me.
    WHAT?! Now that's a turn I didn't expect this to take! Holy Smokes. Hope you are ok, erikahana, and you go girl on pressing those charges.

I don't think I'd post another word of any of this here or anywhere.

Come to find out this woman has mental illness in her family on her mom's side, so go figure.
    Go figure what? That anyone with a history of mental illness in their family must themselves be mentally ill? This is neither accurate, true in any way, nor even remotely civil.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I feel your pain and agree that it's best to move.

The only thing I wanted to add to the discussion is that I, too, have an OTTB who came to me pretty severely under-weight. We tried several different feeding regimens, but it was hard to put weight on him while we also had him in training every day. Our BO suggested we try the Amplify -- which, honestly, I had never heard of.

OMG -- I am a true believer now! Not only did it put the weight on my OTTB, but I started adding it to my old retiree's feed. King is 30 and does not eat hay anymore. He maintained his weight pretty well until this past summer, when he just went down quite a bit and then I couldn't get him back up. I'd upped his senior feed, added canola oil, and tried the Farnam weight builder - the only success I could claim is that he seemed to stop losing.

We added the Amplify (cut out the oil and the Farnam) and voila! He looks 10 years younger, seems to feel better, too. I just cannot say enough good things about Amplify!

Since you have a case pending, keep mum on it. You do not need to have this come back on you.
    It is best to keep information to yourself for now.
    It is good that you moved the horses. If there is a new barn owner to deal with, express it in writing that the feeding regemine is dictated by the Vet. Period. Prescription feeding.
    Ask in advance if that is a problem for the barn owner or the barn help.
    I agree with bagging the feed in advance. If I caught someone tossing my Smart Pak suppliments in the trash there would be a mini-Hiroshima at that place.
    Rice bran is very good for underweight horses but like everything else, just because some is good doesn't mean more is better. Use good sense with all suppliments.
    I am sorry you had to go through all this. Hopefully the new place will be better for both of you.
    May the coming new year be better for you all.
    regards, sadlmakr

Good for you for moving the horse! I hope all works out. Can't believe someone would try to hurt someone though like this.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Default Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Go figure what? That anyone with a history of mental illness in their family must themselves be mentally ill? This is neither accurate, true in any way, nor even remotely civil.
    I apologize, that wasn't precisely what I meant to convey and since I insensitively worded it I'll recant and apologize. I'm not saying that any with history must be ill, I'm just saying that genetic disorders are often passed on. For example, I have ADHD, and my dad has ADHD, and my dad's mother had ADHD (back before they had a definite diagnosis for it, but we knew her and recognized it). Given that the woman has a history of violence somewhat relating to mental illness in her family, it wasn't a far stretch, but I do apologize for implying the wrong sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by sadlmakr View Post
    Since you have a case pending, keep mum on it. You do not need to have this come back on you.
    It is best to keep information to yourself for now.
    It is good that you moved the horses. If there is a new barn owner to deal with, express it in writing that the feeding regemine is dictated by the Vet. Period. Prescription feeding.
    Ask in advance if that is a problem for the barn owner or the barn help.
    I agree with bagging the feed in advance. If I caught someone tossing my Smart Pak suppliments in the trash there would be a mini-Hiroshima at that place.
    Rice bran is very good for underweight horses but like everything else, just because some is good doesn't mean more is better. Use good sense with all suppliments.
    I am sorry you had to go through all this. Hopefully the new place will be better for both of you.
    May the coming new year be better for you all.
    regards, sadlmakr
    Ok, I guess. Not sure how the whole case thing works, as I've never had to press charges against anyone before.

Now that I'm going to a self-care place, I have total control of the feeding No one will be feeding my horses but me, which is ok since they're close to my house. I'm going with the labeled baggie method since that'll make things easy on me plus just in case I ever have to go out of town for a day, there's another boarder up there that I'm acquainted with through a good friend of mine, and it's been mentioned that we might be able to help each other out every once in awhile, and pre-baggied rations will make things quick and easy for any and all that may get involved (including my fiance in case he ever tags along and helps out!) I'm really kind of glad to be going to a self-care place because this means I won't have to argue with anyone about my feed methods.

Haha, mini-Hiroshima, I like it

I've been using only a little cup full of it mixed all up in his feed. I took a white plastic cup and marked a fill line on it to give the proper amount per the vet's instructions, and have been using that daily during my pre-mixing. The good news? Since we've been having a warm snap for a couple days, I took off his sheet today and let him play out in the paddock, and he is NOTICEABLY less ribby! It made me feel really good to watch my handsome boy out frolicking and looking so much better than he did 2 months ago.

Hopefully the coming year will be better, for my ponies and for all of us really. Only a couple more hours left till 2011! I'm looking forward to good things (hopefully) this year.