The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ok, registry options help?? 1/2 Trakehner

So, I know that my foal by Fleetwater Opposition can be registered as a half trakehner and branded as a half trakehner (without the antlers) in the US, but I found this on EMCO

"All foals out of Trakehner, Thoroughbred, or Arabian mares are eligible for registration with
    the American Trakehner Association. Now that he has been retroactively graded with the
    Trakehner Verband (after Opposition Buzz's WEG results!), his foals are also eligible for
    registration with any German registry due to the reciprocity between registries."

What does that last part mean? What other registry options would I have available? The mare is not registered and not inspected. Would I have to get her inspected ISR (pre-mare) or something to do this?

What breed is the dam?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

She is 7/8 Tb and 1/8 ID. Her sire was a JC registered TB and her dam was by a JC registered Stallion, her Dam's dam's line is sketchy, best I know is her granddam was by an ID stallion and out of a ISH mare by a European TB stallion.

the mare is not papered or registered.

Also, I can't find this anywhere, what does *pg* and *e* mean?

Ah!

Alright, well your mare still couldn't be approved for any main mare book and therefore, you foal would get half-papers or a certificate a pedigree in some registries (which is lower than half-papers).

The paragraph you quoted only means that his approval is also recognized in Germany, for foals out of approved mares.

*Pg* stands for a performance award and *E* stands for Elite.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by TSHEventing View Post
    Also, I can't find this anywhere, what does *pg* and *e* mean?
    Those are Exceptional designations - one specifically pertaining to performance; the other to production (as a sire/dam):

Performance designations always are indicated by a capitol "P", followed by a lower case b, s or g (bronze, silver or gold). As with any medals system, bronze is the 1st level of achievement, silver the next level up and gold the highest.

The *E* (always capitalized) indicates an exceptional record as sire or dam of:
    a. Approved sons
    b. Model or Premium daughters
    c. Performace offspring
    d. The stallion (or mare's) own performance.

You'll find some ATA stallions carrying both designations. For example, Horalas *Pg*E* earned his Exceptional (*E*) designation for siring multiple approved sons, at least 1 son jumping GP, plus Horalas' own *Pg* (performance gold) for his own earnings in SJ.

Requirements for both Performance and Exceptional awards here: http://www.americantrakehner.com/Awa...quirements.htm
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Ok, so my best option is registering as a half - trakehner here in the US then, which is what I had originally planned.

Are there any foal inspections or anything through the Am. Trakenher registery that happen? or is it just sending the registration papers application, DNA samples, etc?

Once the foal is registered half trakehner, what are registration options should said foal be bred (if it is a filly) with the same registry? Still considered 1/2 trakehner?

Thanks!

Hey, TSH! I registered my Fleetwater Opposition filly with the British Sport Horse Association. I had worked with them on the two Miner's Lamp babies I had and their representative was really, really helpful in guiding me on the Trak filly. I had to go through all the DNA stuff (with both sets of babies) and the rep told me that ATA accepts BSHA DNA records for half-Traks. She also said that half-Traks can compete for awards against full Traks, but I didn't do anything to check on that since I'm not into the award stuff

BTW, got any pics? I LOVE my filly--she took Ted's hot-as-sin Mom's genes and cooled them down, but she's got the love of the run in her and is sooo well built! I'd love to see yours (and anyone else's).

And I love Buzz (can't remember his stable name, though--I don't think it's Buzz, is it?).
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

pwynn -

I was just looking at your filly's pics and video yesterday!

My foal is due in March, so I will surely be sharing! I have another dose of FO as well that I think I will be rebreeding my mare to in April or May as well.

Are you going to keep your filly? I am very impressed with her conformation... I have read that FO tend to be less than ideal, but I guess it also depends on the mare!

I think it might depend on the mare, BUT just recently (like last week or so) someone else posted (I thought it was YOU!) on the Eventing Forum about her/his Opposition baby--and some comments made there seemed to imply that they are, in general, very well built. "Buzz" ain't exactly, but Future Illusion, the stallion, is really stacked.

I was planning to show my filly in hand, in fact. Just contacted a handler the other day, but it turns out HITS doesn't have breeding division classes (I got it confused with RMI which follows the HITS series) and I don't want have the time to get her ready for Jacksonville, which starts next week.

My filly is also a very toe-pointy mover--very hunter in her trot. I'll admit, though, that this jury is still out on her canter. It's really ground-covering when she's actually galloping, but when she's just farting around, it's kinda "fru-fru-ish."
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Nope, wasn't me! Maybe Kanga? My baby isn't born yet

This is just coming from what I've gathered over in the horse and hound forums.

Let me know what you find out about breed show showing... that is what I would like to do with mine... even if it isn't that great conformationally, just to get it out with a job as a youngster.

The ATA does not "require" foal inspections. There are voluntary inspections that you can present a young horse to the ATA at (during Mare inspections or at the Conventions - 2011 will be in Denton TX), but they are strictly voluntary and more of a way to guage your breeding program, get marks on the foal, and if it is a colt see if it is considered a stallion prospect. You can do the vol marks for purebreds or half breds if you are so inclined.

The list of the sites for the inspections has not been posted for 2011 (other than the Convention site) - they normally get posted sometime at the end of March/beg of April and start in June or July... typcially there is at least one in the SE (GA, AL, FL) as we have so many breeders down this way.

Your mare has IDSH (or ISH?) in her and I think the rule is that you are not going to be far enough removed for several generations yet before any resulting offspring are elig to go into the TK studbooks for breeding (if I remember correctly, this foal will still be 1/8 ID). And all of the resulting offspring will need to be bred to registered and approved TK stallions.

As for awards - yes, if you register the foal in the D book of the ATA it will be elig for all year end awards (against all of the registered ATA horses - purebred and part bred) except for any in hand awards. So once your little one starts going under saddle you are elig for HOY awards.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!