The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof boot?

I need a recommendation for a hoof boot for the old gelding we took in. He wore shoes his entire life and is now barefoot. The kids occaisonally ride him and I need something to keep him comfortable on these short rides. He is only ridden in the pasture or round pen but does cross a gravel driveway.

I like the Renegade boots, they're very adjustable, very comfortable looking and wear great (amazing colours too!). Expensive, but worth it.

http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Is this the old guy from Georgia? How is he doing?

I use an old recycled conveyor belt laid across my gravel driveway - sort of horse crossing.

Trak - thanks for the suggestion. I will check them out.

Cloudy - yes this is the very old guy from GA. He has been here just over a year and has adjusted so well. He is really blossoming instead of heading downhill. I believe he was stalled most of his 27 years and now he has a 12x24 stall that opens into a huge pasture. I think being able to move around so much has really helped him. He is turned out every morning with the other geldings. I actually watched him run and jump the small creek the other day. All I could do was laugh and shake my head.

tbsrule - I will have to see if I can make a padded crossing somehow.

The only problem with the Renegade is that they are not designed for horses with high heels. This old gelding has really high heels. I need to address that issue first I guess. But Trak you were right. They have amazing colors.

The Cavallo boots are the best I have tried, I highly recommend them for those who want some extra hoof protection when riding. They are by far the SIMPLEST boots to take on and off so even the kids will be able to use them when they take him out. You will need to measure his hoof to determine which size he will need. Cavallo has 2 types of boots, if he has a round hoof than the Simple boot will fit, their Sport boot will fit a narrower hoof. You can always contact them if you have any questions and they can help you find the right boot, their customer service has been very helpful to me.

www.Cavallo-inc.com

How long do they ride him for and how hard?

I'd be tempted to make my own with duct tape and some thin pads such as these
    http://www.easycareinc.com/Other_Pro...fort_pads.aspx

My mare has feet that don't fit in any boots I've tried and I've created my own for quick hacks down the road. I wouldn't go 20 miles in them and but do the trick for me for a walk/trot to the end of the road and back.

Agree with the Cavallo Simple boots. I would use them in a second if my mare wasn't in between size 3 and 4 and I just can't (or maybe won't) make them work.

You can ask appychik how Callie's cavallos are doing on Gus up in Minnesota. Both Cloudy and Callie were shod and I only used them when we had a thrown shoe. They would stay on in a pasture with a running bucking horse for 12 hours w/o rubbing. I gave them to appychik for Gus and they apparently fit well.
    I bought basic black. Don't buy pink for the old boy, too embarrassing for a gelding.

ETA I like heels on my horses, but don't know how high the old guy's heels are.

sarahbean2003 Guest

I agree, the Renegades are really good! Easycare makes a boot called the Easyboot Glove. You can buy just the shells to glue on or the same shell with a gator attached as a boot. However, if your guy has fairly high heels, since I haven't been able to try these on a high-heeled animal yet, I can't vouch they'd be your best bet. The plus side to the Gloves is that each size difference is the width of a couple coins, 3 mm I believe. You can order a fit kit (pay a deposit then send it back when you're finished) through Easycare so you know if they will work or not before you commit to spending the money. The other plus is they have a low back and for most horses don't rub the bulbs.

If your issue is high heels, your best bet would be to work on lowering them. At the same time, that's a whole other topic in itself and you may end up going through a few pairs of boots while his hooves change as his heels are lowering. They would likely lower faster with frog support (given he isn't sore in the frog area or in the back of the foot).

I worked with a mule, quite high heels, completely different issue, but there are no boots on the market that would fit her. A good solution for that animal was the use of Equicasts (and impression material in the frog area for extra support). Depending on the terrain your gelding lives on, they can last anywhere from 2-4 weeks, 2 being rockier terrain, 4 being a wetter environment. Financially, they are not a good long-term solution but work great for rehabilitation and a temporary support system.

Hope you were able to find some of this information useful!

Sarah

This is a bit "out of the box", but I use an "Equine Slipper" for my guy when he has bruises/abscesses. It says that they are not intended for excercise, but my vet says they can wear them in turnout. Therefore I don't see why your guy couldn't use them for a super low level ride. They are incredibly easy to put on, and the leather bottoms seem to protect their feet well. Dover carries them.

I would agree with the Simples. I woudn't buy anything expensive since he is only going to be wearing them briefly. Simple's are very forgiving on fit. Try ebay or bits and barter. There is also another used boot site which I can't remember (but I'm sure someone can chime in here). Also, easyboot has a bargain bin where they typically have some of their older models 1/2 off. With his heel the easyboot styles probably won't work, but the boas or Old Macs should.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    This is a bit "out of the box", but I use an "Equine Slipper" for my guy when he has bruises/abscesses. It says that they are not intended for excercise, but my vet says they can wear them in turnout. Therefore I don't see why your guy couldn't use them for a super low level ride. They are incredibly easy to put on, and the leather bottoms seem to protect their feet well. Dover carries them.
    These are similar and aren't meant for riding either but they did a trail test and the video is on youtube

http://hoofwraps.us/product_info.php...64bcd17c0465f8

http://hoofwraps.us/video.php?vid=5

I've used the EasyBoots, and I wouldn't think they would work too well on really high heels. If you could post a picture of what you consider high heels, I might be able to help with the EasyBoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Studies View Post
    These are similar and aren't meant for riding either but they did a trail test and the video is on youtube

http://hoofwraps.us/product_info.php...64bcd17c0465f8

http://hoofwraps.us/video.php?vid=5
    These are similar to the Equine Slipper.
    Here they are:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=991270026

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    These are similar to the Equine Slipper.
    Here they are:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=991270026
    I just saw those advertized in some magazine I subscribe to.
    They do look handy!