The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default critique me please, and my new video log/blog *bump!* confo critique please!

Hi all! I hope you had a very fabulous holiday, whatever you may celebrate. I am currently looking up horsey-friendly cake recipes to make my boy a 6th birthday cake since I just celebrate the January 1st birthday since I don't know his actual foaling date.

I have been leasing my trainers TB gelding for the past 4 months or so, and we have really started to click and work well together and are preparing for spring shows. As I stated before in my last post, I was having some hesitation about him and I have since had a couple discussions with my trainer and I am in no hurry to make a decision to buy at the moment and neither is she so I am just taking it day by day and month by month and enjoying the time I spend with him. I feel very good about my decision and I've been enjoying progressing with him.

He was layed up for the month of December and has been back in work for a couple weeks now. He had a minor abcess that the vet diagnosed as a mild strain of strangles, which he had a nasty bout with earlier this year. He was quarantined and kept on stall rest until the abcess healed and then we injected his ankle with HylaVet for his arthritis so he had about a month and 2 weeks off total. The vet originally came out to inject the ankle but the abcess had just popped up so he opted to wait to inject as the steroids can be an immuno-suppressant.

ANYWAY, he has obviously lost some muscle from lack of work and he's been a little stir crazy since he wasn't active for those 6 weeks so we are taking it slow and building him back up. Today was the first time I jumped him in those 6 weeks and he was very happy to be back to doing his job. My boyfriend got me a cute little camcorder for Christmas so I am starting a blog/video log (vlog?) to track our progress. I'm going to share it with you and ask for a critique from our lesson today. I apologize it's not very long but you should be able to get a sense of my position and his movement at least. I was happy to see what my lower leg seems to have quieted down a bit, but any comments are more than welcome!

Oh and the first video you'll see is the last one I uploaded. Joe didn't video long enough to see the last vertical we jump, which was not a crash and distance.

Sorry this is kind of rambly. TIA!

http://www.rock-n-republic.tumblr.com

UPDATE
    I added a semi-awkward conformation shot from tonight. Any thoughts are more than welcome as I don't have the best eye. His head is not unusually large, it's just that he was moving his head around and my iPhone was taking a high quality shot and so the shutter speed was slow, thus the weird looking head. I promise it is actually very proportional and pretty.
    Last edited by mustangsal85; Dec. 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

I am not a hunter myself so I cannot comment heavily on your seat. However, in the first video, as you are coming down the rail in the first several seconds your horse is clearly counter bent. The viewer can see his head facing the rail, instead of the center of the ring. I noticed though when you cantered he was bent properly. However, you were going the other direction. Does he has a "tough side" that makes it more difficult to bend going counter clockwise?
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

The left is our bad side. He likes to throw his haunches in and his head to the outside. He was also very distracted by the people on the bleachers, which he is headed towards. But yes I did notice that as well and hopefully we will show some progress in the next round of videos.

Lots of circles! lol The horse I'm working has a bad side and responsiveness to inside leg is something we've been working and struggling with for awhile. If I'm having a real hard time with not subconsciencly pulling on my outside rein I'll just drop it and circle him using only inside leg and rein until he moves out onto the rail.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Looks to me like you do a lot of balancing on your hands rather than your seat. I'd also like to see you much stronger through the lower back in order to keep your horse under you more effectively.

I noticed the counter bend too, but I thought it was just the angle?

He wants to be good, he wants to drop his head and neck over the fence but as you get closer and closer to the fence, you get more and more tense through your hand. You need to relax more and more as the fence gets closer. Close your leg off the ground and let him jump up to you, not the other way around.

If you're having a tough time together finding spots, put a pole 9' in front of the jump. That will help him find his "spot" and help you be more confident in knowing that the distance won't be bad.

If you have problems "helping" him with a spot, set up a low cavaletti and canter it a bunch of times. Work on getting the gappy distance, the perfect distance and a chip. Learn how to ride that out and how best to help him out. Adjustments to distances needs to be made several strides out, not right before the fence.

He looks like a nice boy and he looks like he wants to please you.

Haven't looked at them yet but just wanted to say that I'm going to follow you, I'm on tumblr too!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Again I will not be popular with my comments. But you need to be in a program that takes riding a little more serious.

I mean really two little girls sitting on one pony in the middle of the ring??
    Not the learning environment of the top riders and or trainers. Sorry to be a buzz kill but really?
    As far as your riding, you are balancing yourself by using your hands, you need s few lessons on the lounge line with no reins and that should take care of that. Then do some no stirrup work. Good luck.

Totally off topic but Summit Springs, your horses are GORGEOUS!!! Redford.... *swoons*......

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    As far as your riding, you are balancing yourself by using your hands, you need s few lessons on the lounge line with no reins and that should take care of that. Then do some no stirrup work. Good luck.
    This.^^^

Also do transitions without using the reins/neck to balance. W/C/T/C/W/T etc.
    Also jumping a series of small bounces with your reins knotted and hands on hips/head/out to the side, will help you move WITH the horse. Then do it with no stirrups and no reins.
    Ride/jump tiny jumps bareback with no hands (knot reins/hands on hips.)
    You seem very stiff and the above exercises would help.

Again I will not be popular with my comments. But you need to be in a program that takes riding a little more serious.

Not the learning environment of the top riders and or trainers. Sorry to be a buzz kill but really?
    I had a feeling someone was going to comment on that. Those girls had just finished lessoning (W/T) on their ponies prior to mine and another girl had come up to the arena to grab one of the ponies and take him down. My trainer took the saddle off the other pony and let the girls sit on him bareback while she taught. I don't really see anything wrong with it personally. No, I don't ride at a big show barn with top riders and top trainers but I am very happy where I'm at as I used to ride at a place like that and spend 3x the amount of money I do now to learn the same concepts. The place I'm at is safe and friendly and I have a wonderful trainer and so I am happy. But I do respect your opinion and thank you for your advice. I definitely think you are right!

I think everyone is dead on. I've been noticing lately that I have been really reliant on my hands to do things. I think my leg has gotten stronger but I think I have a bad habit of using my hand before my seat and leg which is the opposite of how it should be. I also notice that my core muscles are not very strong right now which causes me to collapse onto his neck and inhibits me from lifting my shoulders up and back really using my seat to balance him.

Ugh. To the gym I go!

I just wanted to say that you guys look like a great match, and you look like you are having a lot of fun with Sutton.

In response to earlier comments, I don't believe everyone needs to be in an olympic bound program, there is such a thing as having a good time with your horse and you don't need to be at WEF to do that. I actually thought the girls where cute sitting double on their pony, I remember doing the same thing on my A circuit pony as well. As long as you are enjoying yourself and YOU are happy with your progress that should be all that matters, there is a place for everyone in the horse community.

Good luck with Sutton he looks like a real solid citizen!

MAX - reciprocated!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I just wanted to say that you guys look like a great match, and you look like you are having a lot of fun with Sutton.

In response to earlier comments, I don't believe everyone needs to be in an olympic bound program, there is such a thing as having a good time with your horse and you don't need to be at WEF to do that. I actually thought the girls where cute sitting double on their pony, I remember doing the same thing on my A circuit pony as well. As long as you are enjoying yourself and YOU are happy with your progress that should be all that matters, there is a place for everyone in the horse community.

Good luck with Sutton he looks like a real solid citizen!
    I have to go with this.... No, not everyone does need to go the biggest trainers to be in a good program. If you're having fun riding and you feel you're improving, then god bless you and your trainer.

Having fun with your horse and achieving milestones doesn't mean winning ribbons. It's the personal victories at home that mean so much more.

While I personally love a pretty ribbon, I much prefer the feeling of conquering a problem I've had at home. And lucky for me, it just happens that my trainer is a fantastic A level trainer who also lets me noodle around on my horse too!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsal85 View Post
    I had a feeling someone was going to comment on that. Those girls had just finished lessoning (W/T) on their ponies prior to mine and another girl had come up to the arena to grab one of the ponies and take him down. My trainer took the saddle off the other pony and let the girls sit on him bareback while she taught. I don't really see anything wrong with it personally. No, I don't ride at a big show barn with top riders and top trainers but I am very happy where I'm at as I used to ride at a place like that and spend 3x the amount of money I do now to learn the same concepts. The place I'm at is safe and friendly and I have a wonderful trainer and so I am happy. But I do respect your opinion and thank you for your advice. I definitely think you are right!
    Mustang I like your attitude and in my book that goes along way, no its everything!
    Yes I agree about having fun and all that, in fact we have alot of fun around our barn, sometimes thats all we do, but in an environment where you are the student and you are paying to be taught, that's when the fun turns to a learning place. at least that's how I like it.
    For example a friend turned trainer was about to school me at a local horse show and she started to answer her phone, so I turned around and started back for the barn, she was like where are you going? I think you all get my drift, I don't have time for shenanigans, from trainers or anyone else when its time to get after it. Now I wouldn't have done that if we weren't friends from way back, I'm not that I'd don't know rude or aggressive, but it makes my point, I think.

HRF Second Chance- Thank you, we just imported Redford in early November, wasn't even looking for a new horse!! But WOW when I saw him, you should see him move.
    It reminds me of that scene in the movie "Mask" when Cameron Diaz said" Yea, but you should see the way he moves" and she swoons over Jim Carey.
    Seriously this one gives me goose bumps. Now let's just hope we can get him trained!!!

Unhappy

Sorry, ditto what she said

It's ok, trust me I am not upset by people disagreeing with things that others do or "tolerate." I am very confident in my choice in trainer and barn and I respect everyone's opinions. I will reiterate that there was nothing unsafe about the situation. My trainer was always standing right next to the pony and she instructed them to just stand in the middle with her. If the pony had tried to walk away the girls are competant riders and are used to riding that particular pony.

Yes the environment is more casual than some. But honestly that is what I like about it. I love where I'm at and I have been at a lot of different barns over the years. BUT... I welcome all opinions and discussion because I know everyone has their own thoughts!

Oh and Summit - WOW!!! @your facility!!! Definitely jealous. Your tack room is nicer than my house!

Mustang I like your attitude and in my book that goes along way, no its everything!
    Yes I agree about having fun and all that, in fact we have alot of fun around our barn, sometimes thats all we do, but in an environment where you are the student and you are paying to be taught, that's when the fun turns to a learning place. at least that's how I like it.
    For example a friend turned trainer was about to school me at a local horse show and she started to answer her phone, so I turned around and started back for the barn, she was like where are you going? I think you all get my drift, I don't have time for shenanigans, from trainers or anyone else when its time to get after it. Now I wouldn't have done that if we weren't friends from way back, I'm not that I'd don't know rude or aggressive, but it makes my point, I think.

HRF Second Chance- Thank you, we just imported Redford in early November, wasn't even looking for a new horse!! But WOW when I saw him, you should see him move.
    It reminds me of that scene in the movie "Mask" when Cameron Diaz said" Yea, but you should see the way he moves" and she swoons over Jim Carey.
    Seriously this one gives me goose bumps. Now let's just hope we can get him trained!!!
    Feel free to link me video! LOL!!! He's very handsomes..... He makes me drool on my keyboard.... He looks like he's going to be amazing!!!