The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who shows in a Wintec Isabell? Or any Wintec for that matter...

What are your showing experiences in a Wintec?
    Last edited by HannoMerci; Feb. 3, 2011 at 04:28 AM.

Frankly, I've never heard anyone point out or otherwise comment on synthetic saddles. And anyway, the only person whose opinion matters is the judge. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

A lady at my barn shows in a Wintec Isabell. Considering that she normally wins every class they've entered - it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I've shown in one with no issues. I showed my gelding at 3rd level (and got my bronze) in one, before I got the gelding a different saddle. I use the same saddle on my young horses. My 5 yo used (and showed in it) this spring 'til I bought her her own, I don't think anyone even noticed it was a synthetic.

I've got the Isabel. It has velcro thigh blocks. I removed the large ones and use the thinner ones. Here's a pic of the saddle last year on my mare who was then 4. The saddle does gives me a bit of a forward tilt, but I've not found it to fit that way on every horse (or every rider).

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24479...56782497HpmlQj

I guess my point in posting the picture is, it's not all that obvious that this is a synthetic saddle!
    Last edited by jodyb; Dec. 29, 2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

I too have shown in a wintec with no negative repercussions. As long as all is neat, clean and tidy I don't think anyone of merit is evaluating the brand of saddle when one goes down the centerline.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I have had numerous young horses, and they all started in a Wintec, for exactly the same reason you are pondering it. I had an ancient Pro - actually more than one, as I replaced one Pro with another at some point. They all showed in the Wintec too. I showed one of my horses through Second (at recognized shows), in it, got the scores at Second toward my Bronze and then decided she really HAD earned a 'real' saddle.

Like others have said, I doubt anyone really noticed.

10 years ago, I also bought a flocked Wintec 500 dressage saddle for an unstarted 3 year old Hanoverian mare that I'd just bought. She liked it, so did the next young Hanoverian mare I bought a few years later. I'm still riding in it, and I've shown up to 3rd Level in it.

We've tried many different saddles over the years and keep coming back to the Wintecs. Our guy Meisterwind show through GP in a Wintec Isabel. Now in our tack room is, a 09 Pro, flocked with the contour blocs, an old Pro, and an all purpose which is the youngster starting saddle. Mr. NoDQhere loves the new Pro and shows in it. Never a comment from anyone.

The judges don't care what you ride in, as long as it is conducive to a good riding position and doesn't make you sit incorrectly or ineffectively.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I ride in one all the time, and compete in it. You can compete in one all the way through GP.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I have directly asked over 25 judges and NONE of them penalize a rider for using a Wintec. Not once. They all said something along the lines of "Why would I do that?"

I have pretty much always ridden in a Wintec Pro. I had an old one, and recently got a new one. I've competed every level through GP and love it. Anyone who would give you grief for riding in a synthetic saddle is beneath contempt. I really found I like the Pro because it is flatter and leaves you more room to ride as you need instead of holding you in, which is essential the higher level you go.

As a judge, I've never actually had the time to look at tack, or hairdos, or whatever. That is not your job unless it's affecting performance. Get what works for you, and who cares what anyone else thinks?

Thanks HannoMerci! I bred the mare and she's definitely my pride and joy

My Isabel has the cair system, but if I purchased one now, it would probably be the wool flocked.

I've shown through 2nd level in a Wintec Isabelle - no one ever commented or even noticed.

Here is a picture of us (the pinto) at one of the shows - it was a rated show, multiple rings, and we won the class, so obviously the saddle didn't cost me any points I have actually seen a few people show into the upper levels in Wintecs - less common, of course, but perfectly legal. I don't think judges even notice unless the saddle obviously doesn't fit you or the horse and causes problems.

I would pass on buying anything from Wintec. They have known issues with the tree points cracking, and they also happen to have the worst customer service in the world. By the time my saddle (hopefully) is fixed, it will have been a whole year since I noticed the issue, AND they put some big scratches in the leather the first time they had it. And they didn't seem to care at all.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=bates+saddle

My Daughter shows FEI in a Wintec Pro and bought a second Pro for her young mare.

Never once has there been a comment nor would I have ever expected it.

Next thing you know we will be discussing TS Breeches and the correlation to our ribbons
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I would pass on buying anything from Wintec. They have known issues with the tree points cracking, and they also happen to have the worst customer service in the world. By the time my saddle (hopefully) is fixed, it will have been a whole year since I noticed the issue, AND they put some big scratches in the leather the first time they had it. And they didn't seem to care at all.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=bates+saddle
    I'm not seeing any history of cracks and multiple people having issues. I think you have an axe to grind. It sounds like you were just unlucky. It happens. Complaining about customer service is one thing, painting all the saddles from one company with a broad brush because of one personal bad experience is really reaching. Stating they have "known issues with tree points cracking" when you can't back that up with fact is a libelous statement.

Also, your issue was with a Bates. Which is the leather version and has some differences. The Wintecs are awesome and wear like iron, based on my experiences with them over 10 years and six different saddles (mine and those of student's).
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I don't know about showing with them, I assume its not noticable to anyone unless they scruitinize, and then, so what.

I think the important thing about them is that they fit you and the horse. I have used some wintecs which put my leg too far forward and some which didin't. One of the ones which didn't fit me correctly fit me correctly on an entirely different horse, so, Depening on the combination of how they fit on your horse and where they put you in the saddle and his center of gravity thingy, I would just be sure they are fitting correctly.

I say, if the shoe fits, wear it!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

The trees are the same in Bates and Wintec saddles. I have also personally known quite a few people with the same issues I have had. All with the points of the tree breaking.