The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Passier saddle

What is a newish (not brand new, but not old) Passier saddle worth?

Appears to be in excellent condition.

I have an opportunity to buy it, but can't try it on the horse, wondering if it's worth a gamble but not sure what the resale possibilities are. Reflocked recently, and leather is quite nice.

Any thoughts?

The older passiers (cutback/etc) are more likely to fit more horses. The GG/etc period are slightly more specific to the horses. Anywhere around 1000+/- depending upon age.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I'd not risk it unless it was a steal, or unless I could borrow one similar to try on the horse and to sit in myself. Passier's are one of the best saddles, built by craftsmen to last a lifetime, but not as popular now as the more marketed 'hot' name brands.

Good to know. Thank you! I'm looking for an ollllld good saddle-I have a collegiate CC now, and I'm on a serious budget,so as long as it's safe, and functional, and comfortable for both of us, I don't really care what looks like, as its only for schooling.

Problem is, though, I'm not the only one drooling over the old higher end saddles. Don't they know I neeeeeeed one?

the value on older used passiers can run anywhere from $200-1200+. All depends on the make/model and size (seat and tree). I bought an awesome jumping saddle for $120. Someone recently posted here about buying a GG around $500.

resale is a consideration but you should buy it because it fits you and your horse and serves your need.

passiers are awesome saddles.

eta, ah re read and saw you can't try it. The price would have to be incredibly awesome for me to buy without being able to try... and I have done so, many times.

research ebay to see the going rates.
    Last edited by buck22; Dec. 31, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I bought a Passier saddle for my daughter off Ebay for just under $400. I thought I got a very good deal. Those I've talked to second that. A local tack seller would ask about $800 for the same saddle. They weren't able to try it, but it was the right size and had the tree size we were looking for. I just had a saddle fitter come and adjust the flocking. My daughter and her horse LOVE it!
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp