The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Someone crashed through our fence....and just drove off!

We got about 6 inches of snow on Sunday here. DH and I live on a main road and our fencing borders our property and lines the road. Someone drove up on our lawn and crashed right through our fence!! They didn't even both to stop and/or leave a note or something. Ugh, people suck. I realize they probably crashed late Sunday night since we didn't notice until Monday, but still.... How rude!

On the bright side...at least we didn't turn the horses out in that field before noticing there was a hole in the fence. That would not have been good!

Some people are real jerks
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

We've got decorative fencing at the bottom of our driveway and someone ran into and knocked it down Sun night/Mon am. Like you, no note, nothing. As the mailbox is right there, they could have easily put a note in the mailbox.

The firetruck missed a corner completely on Xmas eve and in order to haul it out they had to cut the lock to the gate in the pasture on the other side and then they cut three fence panels. I've been wondering whether they contacted the property owner or not. The side they ran into has an abandoned house so I bet they didn't contact anybody. That field has only been used for hay, no livestock.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I wouldn't be surprised if the hit-and-run fence drivers feared breathalyzer test results. ;-)

Sorry about your fence.
    I used to farmsit a place that was on a curve of a very fun twisty road. After a few Friday night mishaps with the fence, the owner went down and replaced the posts in the section with sections of telephone pole. There were no more drive-offs after that.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

This happened to friends of mine, only in their case the truck which did it apparently suffered some major damage based upon the glass they had to clean up out of the grass paddock which was damaged.

Unfortunately, if you put up solid barriers like telephone poles, boulders, or other barriers you are liable for injuries/damages to offending drivers in some states. Where I lived about 10 years ago there was a residential home on a curve, and they couldn't let their kids play in the yard or even be out there themselves because of frequent car crashes on their street side lawn. They wanted to do a boulder barrier inside their chain link fence and entirely on their property and they were advised that they would be legally liable for any and all injuries or damage to the idiot drivers. I think the homeowners said all of the accidents were caused by speeding and alcohol or drugs were a factor usually also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We had someone chuck a cigarette out of a car and into our ditch during a drought. Caught the ditch on fire, and melted our white vinyl fence, which was brand new. They never fessed up, or perhaps never knoew they started the fire in the first place.