The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

splash gordon Guest

Default clear span buildings

we are thinking of going with a clear span building for a small indoor approximately 65 feet by 100 feet. anyone have one of these for an indoor and if so what are your opinions. thanks!

The barn that I board at just put one up. I've only ridden in it two times so far so my opinion is based on a very minimal amount of time BUT I absolutely love it.

The light, even on overcast days, is incredible. We went from an averagely dark wooden structure so the change is shocking.

The wind was howling one day and other than one small section flapping, it wasn't any noisier than the old structure that creaked like crazy when the wind was strong. I think once that sectioned is adjusted it won't make much noise at all.

"Clear span" is the technical name for a structure without supports other than on the outside, no post inside to help support it here and there.

If you mean the fabric covered structures, one called "Clear Span", then maybe your question is about fabric covered ones, specifically those of that brand?

Whatever you get, be sure it is a company that will be there for any repairs, parts and in some years, to replace the fabric.
    One of them, Coverall, went bankrupt this year, when some of their structures collapsed.

Those fabric covered structures cost as much as metal ones, but unlike metal, will need many repairs and replacement.

Be sure you get someone that has a long record with fabricating and installing them, if you go that route.

Also, don't compare any such structures to the old wood framed, sheet metal covered ones, that also don't last very long, but to how most are built today, metal framed and metal covered ones.

Before you make a decision on any structure get multiple bids from multiple contractors on multiple structure types.

You don't note where you live. If you are in the South a "plastic building" may not be the best choice. This system is used in a lot of the greenhouse construction industry. Riding in a greenhouse might be just fine in February, but pretty tough in August. I've ridden in one in suburban Atlanta in May. It was in the a.m. and was even then quite uncomfortable.

We have a covered arena using a heavy duty steel structure. In ten years we've had no issues from weather (including a thunderstorm that took down a 60 year old barn).

Don't take may word on this, or the word of anyone else. Visit a few of these in your worst weather times before making any decision. Visit more traditional structures under the same circumstances. Then make the call.

G.

P.S. If there are no "plastic arenas" in your area you might ask yourself, "why?".