The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Young horse trainers in the North East or East coast...

The other thread had me wondering, who do you send your young horses to in the North East, or even East Coast, for training? An approximate price range would also be nice, if available. I have a 2008 filly, and I'd like to plan ahead in case I don't have the time to bring her along myself. She will be aimed for the hunter ring, but I'm much more interested in a proper foundation, so a dressage or eventing trainer with the proper credentials would be just fine. I know someone who is quite pleased with the Hilltop program, but there must be others out there
    Last edited by goodmorning; Dec. 28, 2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Additional info

Jason Berry will be coming back to his own farm this spring or summer. He believes in a good foundation and teaches the horses to really use themselves and accept the bit. He has spent a bit of time in Europe and you can see the influence when he is training a horse. Contact him through his webpage that you will see in my signature line.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Alain Seheut has done a wonderful job backing one of mine that is sensitive. He is really good with all types of youngsters and has a jumper and dressage background. Alain also owns the stallion Soprano. Based in MD.

Hilltop Farm in MD is excellent; I am sending one to them next week.

Roddy Strang, a cowboy, was highly recommended to me by several people whom I trust for starting hunters, jumpers and dressage youngsters. He starts horses from some very well-regarded breeders. He is based in PA.

Plan on 1200-1800 per month for any of the above trainers.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Dec. 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

We do this. Young horses are our specialty.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

i mostly start my own. however, if i'm stretched and need a hand i get kate gerhart at north ridge farms in sellersville, pa to bring them along. here's a 4yo she schooled for me as a jumper and we have a hunter youngster going there next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCygNgO4UeM

Roddy started my last one and I plan to send my next filly to him as well. Western start, but they trail ride, go to indoors, etc

I know someone who sends youngsters to Debi Crowley in Alabama. Not exactly east coast, but she has done a fantastic job for her with two horses. Debi is a dressage and eventing rider and puts a great foundation on horses. She also breeds some of her own, so is experienced with babies. Her farm is called Cotton Meadows. If I had a youngster, I would consider her even though it is far away.

WE start young horses the "right" way with excellent basics. We offer full training with stall board for $675 per month and full training with pasture board for $600 per month. That is 5 days work per week. I have excellent references and have been doing this for 35+ years. We go slowly but make good progress and produce quiet, willing horses. We are in eastern NC just off I-95 and routinely have horses here from rather long distance, all owners are kept up to date on their horses progress weekly with regular pics and videos if they cannot visit in person

Bobby Meyerhoff and Danica Moore do a lovely job starting many different types - they are both event riders who believe in a good, solid foundation with no gimmicks. I've seen and/or ridden a number of horses that they have started - all are happy, well balanced and forward. My Apiro yearling is going to them next summer. They just left for Florida but will be back in Culpeper, VA in April.

rdmeyerhoff@yahoo.com or 925. 899.3214

Olin Armstrong is fabulous with babies.

Jason Berry does a very nice job as well.

We do that here, too. The horse gets a quiet start, learns to trail ride, trailer, and depending on the season, gets to see what a small horse show looks like. They get ridden indoors and outdoors & get started over ground poles & very small fences. Bill also handles horses in-hand at breed shows, so youngsters get into a show ring that way, too, if you like. The horse gets a balanced start and is ready to go in the discipline of your choice.

Bill won't give a time estimate - it takes however long your particular horse needs. But that generally is at least 3 months. I will cost a little less per month than some of the other recommended trainers - PM for details or call him at 717-756-4669.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Abe Pugh of Cedar Creek Stables in Greencastle, PA is a great hand starting young horses. Lovely facility, constantly educating himself through regular lessons/clinics with places like Hilltop, Bruno Greber from Ashanti Farms, etc. Including having had Bruno come to his facility for an intensive few days for himself & his assistant trainer this past year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Olin Armstrong is fabulous with babies.

I'll second that.
    About to send my third one to him.

There are several on Long Island but I think they require the horse to have some under saddle time before they will continue with them.

Default If you are looking in Virginia

April Shultz at Cedar Creek does a great job with babies. PM me for her email or phone #.

And yes she works for me, but she does take in outside horses as well.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Default young horse training

I break and start all my young ones myself and often have others here for starting. We charge 1200 per month training board on the young horses which includes all ground work, lungeing and starting under saddle, work on the trailer, cross ties, clipping etc. 4 days a week minimum.

Where are you located? I'm assuming finding someone closer would be nice for you, while not necessarily a necessity.

And there's quite a few people around and about that can put a good start on babies. I have a couple of breeders that I do babies for, also take some in at the farm. I tend to do more groundwork than some people, not just lunging, but long lining, double lunging, ground driving, will pony them out on the trails as well, so by the time they're ready to be ridden, it's just one more thing. Lol.

I'm in the Boston area. Most of the trainers I am familiar with are too busy to properly bring along a young horse. Finding someone closer would be nice, there's a dressage trainer by the name of Ann Guptall that some friends are quite happy with, but I figure its a good thing to research. I am not opposed to sending them off to a qualified trainer. Might even bring her along myself, but I am not sure about how much time I will have and want things done properly.

Joe and Patty Forrest are in New Hampshire; they charge $1200 a month. I believe Joe started Donarweiss http://www.greengatestud.com/wp/stallions/donarweiss

I recommend that people get references from other clients before sending a youngster away.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

1 members found this post helpful.