The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Father diagnosed with Parkinson's....

After 5 or so hospital stays, multiple CTs and MRIs, lots of blood work and a huge amount of worry on my and my mother's parts....we finally got an answer today out of a neurologist on dad's 6th hospital visit. Parkinson's disease.

I thought it was a stroke or early-onset alzheimers, but after reading up on it, he's a classic case (minus the tremors).

Not much to be done at this point other than waiting to see how they're going to treat the symptoms, but words of encouragement would be nice..... My father and I haven't ever had the best relationship, but watching him deteriorate is rough.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

This one is tough, because, in general, by the time the symptoms are evident enough for diagnosis, about 80% of the substantia nigra has been affected.

That being said. My uncle also had Parkinson's and in the 5 years since he passed (he was in his 80s), there has been much progress on understanding the etiology of the disease as well as in identifying potential therapeutic targets.

I am so sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My father was diagnosed Parkinsons about a year ago, along with diabetic. Now he has bladder cancer.

The Parkinsons symptoms weren't really pronounced, so I still can't remember how they even thought to diagnose it. He's on some form of medication for that, but it's all in the background now since the cancer deal.

My DH's boss's widow was diagnosed about 10 years ago at the age of around 71. She did get the shakes and got progressively worse. Then she had some form of operation (that their family could easily afford) that substantially helped her, up until the last couple years. She died this year at about 81 or 82. She was able to come back to work (they own the business since the 50s) and be a part of running it after proper meds and then the op when she got worse.

Sorry to hear it; if it's not one thing it seems to be another. Or both....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Hugs to you. My grandfather and mother both had Parkinson's. I have more experience than I care to.

Having said that, treatments have improved greatly. While they are figuring out his regimen, you can help by making sure that your father's physical environment is clear of obstacles that might get in his way. It's for his own comfort and security as much as it is for his safety.

Also, watch his meds. Some of them have side effects that can be hard to manage. The side effects didn't happen to my grandfather but they were very hard on my mom. Don't be afraid to speak up if you see changes that concern you.

And if you need someone to talk to, just PM me.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

I am truly sorry. My father had parkinson's. Looking back on it, we missed many of the symptoms for years and wish he could have started treatment sooner.

I echo hidden lake's post - very good advice.

You are in my thoughts. Please post more questions or just vent as many of us have been through what you are going through.

Well, it's advanced stage. He has pretty bad dementia (forgot how to use the remotes last week....forgot my name....etc....), walking is quite the challenge for him, as is standing or getting up and down from sitting or laying.

His doctors kept writing off big issues because the meds he was on for other issues have been know to cause slight dementia in patients. But the past few weeks have been hell because he couldn't take care of him self, was incontinent, etc -- he also spent almost a thousand dollars online in the past two weeks and didn't remember ordering things when they got to the house.....

I'm currently working so won't be home for another week, but Mom is dealing the best she can. Haven't gotten much from the docs as to what can be done, but I've been doing a lot of reading too.

Thanks everyone

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

It's interesting you mentioned the meds that caused slight dementia in some patients. My mother's Parkinson's meds did that to her.

The meds reduced her unsteadiness but caused her to imagine things that weren't happening. It was a tradeoff that was very hard to make. Please watch to make sure your dad's Parkinson's meds don't add to his already existing side effects.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Can you get insurance to cover having an aide in the home to assist or help to watch him part of the time? My father's parkinson's nearly killed my mother before we were able to get her some relief in caring for him before he finally went into the fulltime health facility.

My dad is on social security, so we're thinking Mom will get power of attorney, take over his finances and use his social security to hire an aid.

I've worked in direct care for a couple years and it's tough to do with patients like him when you're *not* related in any way to them.....my mother just couldn't handle it, and I'm at school full time....

ther are things you can do to help him make things easier like a cup that has finger grips, or velcro botton and zips so he can still dress himslef etc
    my dad and mum had it my brother was born with it and i ahve no doubt in time i might get it worse thing si the depression so try not to dwell and help him out when he gets depressed about it all, yeah hands shake and legs etc but again trying to hid the fact like sticking your hands in your pockets just makes people look more yeah there memory goes but that in time for now support your dad
    and be more helpful but not so much that you take his pride away aswell as his dignity if you getmy drift lots of things you can do to make his life easier at home

Just a thought worth checking into. My father had Parkison's, docs originally thought my Mom did, too, with no tremor. It was Lyme disease. You might want to look into it, just in case.

Default so sorry

Echoing the support and keeping you all in prayers. Such a difficult thing to go through! Best of luck.