The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retirement Board for the competition horse

Can anyone recommend a nice retirement farm in Virginia, Florida, Kentucky or the Carolinas? (looking for a nice climate).

I prefer 24 hour turnout with sheds. Has anyone heard of Caveland Farm in Virginia? Please PM me if needed.

Thanks!
    Founding member of the GDI clique...

USHJA maintains a list of retirement farms http://www.ushja.org/content/programs/retire_facil.aspx --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

We have had many horses retire at my farm in Northern Virginia, but we don't offer field board. Our regular board is $375/month including a stall, and 10-16 hours daily turnout. (Smaller stall is $325) We also have a camping trailer with heat and air conditioning that owners are welcome to stay in if they are here for a visit.
    Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Dec. 28, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Ingleside Farm North Garden, VA 434-293-7395
    I have retired horses here it is a simple place but they take good care of the horses and they get 24 hour T/O.

Default Henbry Farm

http://www.henebryfarm.com/

Elizabeth's farm in beautiful and the animals are well cared for

This place is in Ocala but I don't have any first hand knowledge of their program.

http://www.horseretirementhome.com/

I'll second Henebry Farm. I board there and they have nice fields with good size run in sheds. The 2 other horses in my mare's field are retired from Ohio.

WE are a small farm in NC and offer pasture retirement board. Live onsight and the horses are treated as if they were our own, nice large field with run-in, feed/hay as needed twice daily (we usually feed Senior feed to older horses), blanketing provided at no charge in inclement weather. Nice climate and very quiet area that the horses enjoy. email me carrie@shawneeacres.net for more information or visit website.

I posted on this same topic before and found out that one of my friends and fellow poster here uses Blue Ridge (Patricia R) in Upperville area. I moved one of mine there and am very happy. I think I'm paying $275/month and he gets fed, trims, shots. Also, I like it because there are several of us with horses there so we can all keep track of them. It's nice when one of your friends randomly sends you pictures of your horse and acts as a second set of eyes. Please PM me if you'd like contact info.

I'm not sure how old your horse is, but have you considered free leasing the horse to someone who just wants to trail ride, or have a "husband" horse to get ridden when said husband decides he wants to ride (typically once or twice a year lol).

I have two friends who went this route. One horse is just for the woman's grand kids to be led around on when they visit, and the other is leased by a older woman who wants to just walk around the farm once or twice a week. Both horses get 24hr turn out and excellent care.

You could also search for someone who needs a companion horse. Just throwing these ideas out there as I have no input on any retirement facilities specifically
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Try www.elmingtonfarm.com in Berryville VA

Kathie Hamlin is great. Beautiful turnout, nice run-ins, excellent care.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I am also looking for this for a 17 yr old former equ/hunter. He does not love turnout so just flinging him out is not really an option.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I have a horse at a retirement farm in GA. He was retired after an injury and can be hard to handle. The lady who owns the farm is from Switzerland and has worked with stallions and tough horses, and does a great job with my guy. He loves his life -- he has a stall but is only inside for meals and in case of snow and ice. All her horses are well treated and she loves them all like they're her own. The farm's not much to look at, but I know that my horse has the best care he can.
    Proud pony person

Great source of referral is your vet. Ask them, even if it's out of your immediate area, they know other vets and network extensively.

Just an aside but I don't like the idea of a free lease if you have decided to retire a longtime competition partner...they don't need to be hauling a beginner around and there are usually assorted health and soundness issues leading to that retirement decision. Fewer people then ever are willing to spend money on something they do not own and that has special needs and limits.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

We are a private breeding/training farm about 1.5h from the KHP and offer field board for a select few boarders or for retirees. They are in groups based on feeding needs and personality, and all fields have run ins. Feel free to contact me if that is of interest. $300/m with grain 2x a day, free choice home grown hay, and owner on property. Blanket changes as needed as well. Good luck!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I am also looking for this for a 17 yr old former equ/hunter. He does not love turnout so just flinging him out is not really an option.
    I've got two retirees... both were real hothouse flowers. Both are basically living out now... one is dealing but I can tell would rather have a stall most of the day. The other is a hairy beast and LOVES IT... So, you never know...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Caveland Farms

This may come a little late but perhaps it will help someone else. I have had my mare at Caveland for a year now and I highly recommend it! She is so happy and well cared for, the place is beautiful! PM me if you have any questions, but its the best thing I ever did for her.

We just closed on our new 70 acre facility on the boarder of NC/VA. We offer board for the retires/young horse. Our horses are turned out in herd of similar age and sex. We also have smaller pastures for horses that need individual turn out. We offer customized feed programs, quality hay, improved pastures, 2 ponds, run in shed and a separate barn for horses that prefer to stay in a few hours a day/ inclement weather. Lots of pics on our website.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    We have one like this... he simply does NOT want to be out all day.... We are spending more than most quoted here but he is happy and getting exceptional care - PM if you want information

Thumbs up

I sent both my mares to Caveland Farm a few months back. I am very happy with my decision!
    Founding member of the GDI clique...