The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spinoff-Your favorite breed for a farm dog

With so many suggestions on the Boerboel thread for good farm dogs I thought I would start a thread about favorite breeds of dogs for a farm. Why did you choose your breed and it's pro's and con's.

My favorite is a Coonhound. I love their baying voice and they are comical! Mine makes me laugh all day because he is a goofball! He is not very bright which adds to his charm! He is very loud and bays at most anything so I am alerted to people in the driveway, the nieghbors loose dogs, stray cats, wind blowing etc....

Cons- I ahve only found a few problems with them, not very obendient due to an instinct to follow his nose and not his owner, which means I cannot let him run loose on the farm. Also, I get a lot of people asking me if I coonhunt! That is a NO!

Overall, he is wonderful, happy go lucky and sweet! I do not think he would scare of an intruder but hopefully my very large labrador will make someone think twice! (he is also a great farm dog, in many ways better than my coonie because he is quiet and obeys!)

My JRT was my pal all the years I mucked and late night braiding. Now I have my own farm and love my GSDs and my JRTs. I am by myself w/ my daughter and the Shepherds always alert me to people.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Swiss Mountain Dog, no doubt. My Swissy Elmer is along all the time I am out at the horses, doesn't cause any problems, is big enough that he won't get inadvertantly stepped on (plus easy to keep an eye on). Plus he loves EVERYONE who comes by, so it you want a guard dog- forget it. If he was allowed to, he would hop in the vet's car with him.

I suppose my favorite breed for a farm dog is the Catahoula. They are smart, tough and territorial. We live in a very rural area and law enforcement in our county is spread thin. I think Daisy, my catahoula, would make an intruder think twice about approaching the house. For a pure working around the farm companion, my pit, Tiger, my lab, Stinker and our mix, Sadie Jo, are great. They take every step I do, don't harass the livestock, and are great company when I'm feeding before daylight or after dark.

Australian Cattle Dogs - hands down the best dogs I have ever owned. I have 2 right now, a 8 month old male and a 13 month old female. I've had at least one on the farm for the last 18 years and will never be without one. They definitely are not the right breed for everyone, but are tremendous for the right owners.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Short-hair (or at least slick hair--i.e. border collie) dog. Though they need a warm area during the winter, they don't get so dirty. I've seen long-haired farm dogs who are so dirty and matted that it's a risk to their general health. Treated many a filthy long-hair with life-threatening maggot infestations. Yuck.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi.. but we have sheep so that herding instinct comes in handy.

My best barn dog was a glorious mutt, part Belgian Shepherd and part Griffon. Medium sized, longish hair. Great around horses, kids, other dogs, and people in general. Would go on trail rides with us, no problem. Everyone loved him.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Cowdogs first-Heelers get first choice, catahoulas, aussies

Then a Pit, a Rottie, or a doberman, then a Dane.

Brazilian mastiffs (fila brasilero) would be a top pick as would a presa canario.

I'd love a cane corso-but corsos are ubertough, and while I love them, I don't know that I'm enough of a handler to have one. The prey drive would be problematic for barn kitties. Heh...can you tell I like my molossers? Always have...not sure why.

I refuse to consider anything a 'farm' dog that has to

a) wear clothing to stay warm (eg, chihauha's)

or

b) requires more grooming time than my horse.

That said, I'm currently owned by a flying ball of fur that resembles an australian shepherd in his still (read: asleep) moments-he was supposed to be a mini, but actually turned out standard-and a LARGE standard at that.

He's eligible for registration as a 'mini'-I've seen both parents and full sibs-they're all <30 pounds.

Chuck weighs in at 55 pounds of fluff and muscle. His cannon bone is just slightly larger than my wrist. He's been on raw, though, from 6 weeks of age. I suspect that was the problem.

i'm thinking my sabrina is an awesome farm dog. she's a mutt, probably some aussie heeler northern breed cross. she's blue merle long haired with a plume tail and prefers to sleep curled in the snow like a little eskimo dog.
    it took her five minutes to learn that chasing hens or horses was verboten here, and has not even looked twice since. in fact, having yelled at her just once to quit chasing the hens, she even avoids looking at them!
    she actually looks away with a distant expression when they come pecking and clucking around her. she is an excellent patrol dog, i've seen her forty lb self chase off pairs of much bigger dogs who dared to step foot on our land.
    she's getting older, when she leaves me i'll probably get an english shepherd.

Australian Shepherds are the BEST Farm dogs ~ IMHO ~~ The BEST dogs for anywhere and everywhere ~ IMHO ~~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

We have two Aussie/Catahoula crosses. Nothing gets past those two. They both weigh in at 55 pounds but look nothing alike.

Love my JRT and Choc Lab The JRT is the mouth and the lab is the muscle. Both are friendly once I give the ok. Neither one bothers the horses, chickens or cats. JRT does have a coat, but I still consider him a farm dog

When I was raising Akitas they were wonderful...not for everyone though as they have a WIDE stubborn streak and you have to work around that for training them. Now have Aussies and may have found THE breed for my farm. Friendly once they have the OK to meet people but sound off the instant someone comes in the driveway or anything is out of order (was asleep one evening and they tuned up and wouldn't shut up when I hollered at them...got up to find a herd of mustangs in the front yard!), very smart, pretty, happy dogs.

JRT's for us. We love our feisty little dogs and the vermin fear them!

Aussies!

We have two and they are the best! Super loyal and smart too. They have tons of stamina and are very savvy around horses- or at least ours are. Our 2.5 year old female has never needed a leash... she WANTS to be around us and listens so well. Our 6 month old male is great too and I am sure will be as loyal the older he gets.
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Love my JRT and Choc Lab The JRT is the mouth and the lab is the muscle. Both are friendly once I give the ok. Neither one bothers the horses, chickens or cats. JRT does have a coat, but I still consider him a farm dog
    I have a Chocolate Lab also. He is 85lbs and while friendly, he does make people think twice. He is the muscle and brains behind our dog security. My beloved coonhound is too well......"special" to be more than entertainment! He is sweet but as I am writing this he is chasing his tail and hitting the coffee table My lab is laying there annoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    My beloved coonhound is too well......"special" to be more than entertainment! He is sweet but as I am writing this he is chasing his tail and hitting the coffee table My lab is laying there annoyed!
    Awwwwwww gotta love the special ones!!

Border Collies! Those plus a German Shepherd ( now deceased ) and you have alarms and an enforcer. My border collies, while full of their notorious high energy, are great with my kids, goats, chickens and horses. They are a little rocky for the first 18 months or so but listen great, protect the kids ( the now 9 yo, Misschief chased off a mother black bear and 2 cubs from my daughter a few years ago ). Their disgusting manure covered, muddy and wet fur miraculously gets clean after an hour in the mud room. And they are really funny! Our 3 yo Imp gets bored with us and "hikes" rocks up and down the driveway. She also helps weeds the garden and will do back flips when you throw the pulled weeds for her.
    bad decisions make good stories

Aussies! I have had two standard size aussies(just put my last one down in October due to cancer). I am getting older and wasn't sure I wanted another 50+lb dog so found a nearby breeder who has mini aussies. I now have a cute rambunctious black tri female 12week old puppy. She is already in barn training, pretty savy around the horses, and loves riding in the truck. She is currently a sweater wearer as she was all of 4.5lbs when I got her in November and we have had some pretty cold temps. Last vet vist she was 7lbs 6oz and her fur is getting thicker. My previous dog always sounded an alarm if someone came to the house and was very obedient. She only tried a few times to chase my horses, and a sharp reprimand (GET OUT!)and the crack of a lunge whip cured her of that. She occasionally thought about chasing, but the command Get out made her think again. The nice thing about aussies is that they want to be with you. So even though they may venture around, they keep checking in with you.