The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone recently added a room to their house?

I'm considering adding a family room with a gas fireplace to our home, and I'm wondering what kinds of estimates folks have received for this work. I don't know if the poor economy makes this a good time or a bad time to build - anyone have any insight?

Your location and the amount of detail you want in your project will have an impact, but from my research the average addition costs about $100/sq ft.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Thanks

Anyone else?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

We had a quote of about 80K to "bump out" out house to make the galley kitchen bigger. Would have added space with an 8x12 footprint.

We opted to expand the kitchen by removing interior walls instead.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Good grief! 80k for a bump-out! Was that due to the plumbing or was that just simple construction??

I keep hearing that it is more reasonable to add-on to an existing home than to move - perhaps not!

i'm adding a 12x38 foot addition across the back of the house. it's going to cost at least 50k, even with dh and neighbor doing the plumbing, heating and electric.
    we're going to gc it ourselves, so that should bring the cost down though.

We have added on to our house twice now. The first time was to make our sun deck into a fully windowed sunroom with a mud room on one end. That was about $65,000 8 years ago. The second time we went all out and added a two and a half car garage with master bedroom suite over it. That ended up costing $100,000 by the time all was said and done and this was about 6 years ago.

We put up a two bedroom/2 full bath loft guest cabin on our farm about 5 years ago and it cost approx. $85,000. So as you can see by these comparisons, adding on to our house didn't save us much money. Even though the economy has tanked, I don't know that adding on will be any less now - in fact it may be rediculously expensive considering how much material costs have inflated.

My last piece of advice - be very very careful who you chose to do any work for you - we had an extraordinary builder work on our house. We weren't so lucky with our guest cabin - went thru some bad times with a contractor not truly qualified for the job.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I'm considering adding a family room with a gas fireplace to our home, and I'm wondering what kinds of estimates folks have received for this work. I don't know if the poor economy makes this a good time or a bad time to build - anyone have any insight?
    If you live anywhere in PA, NJ, DE, or MD, PM me and I will tell you at least one family of "contractors" to avoid.

They stole several hundred thousand dollars from people. I personally lost 46K. The courts, by the way, are absolutely freaking worthless. Guy was convicted and owes me money. I have no illusions of ever collecting though.

Edited to add: I found these guys through service magic. They say they screen their contractors. Well let me tell you that's a big, fat, lie. If they did they would have found all sorts of issues I was able to find later. Granted I did have to go into the PA criminal database to find these things and it isn't easy and it took quite a bit of time, but if you're in the business of "screening" contractors you really should look a litter harder than "did their check clear".

Also they absolutely do not stand behind their contractors irrespective of their claims that they do. They offered me $500.00 and I would have had to sign a contract preventing me from saying anything. Yeah right.
    Last edited by mswillie; Dec. 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Copper is through the roof right now, keep that in mind with any planning you are doing...

My SO's an electrical contractor. Commercial though, so I can't help w/ the specifics on a room addition..but his rates haven't dipped. We still have to cover our minimal overhead, and pay our employees. The 'big boys' can buy big jobs that they aren't really making anything on, just meeting their overhead. We can't. It's not in our business model to have a lot of overhead, so that means we earn what we earn, there's no slew of fancy trucks to pay the note on or loads of uniforms to pay for, etc...

Get three estimates, check their licensing, buy the permits, don't cut corners.

FWIW, we recently priced a big (for us) commercial job that's 65K in electrical alone. The three bids were within 1500 bucks of each other.

We all gotta make a living here, folks.

I would- I may be biased LOL- recommend local vendors-that way you can go see their work. Ask their recent customers if they are happy with the work. I wonder if there's a way you can find out if there are any liens filed by them, or against them: we hired a landscape guy who went bankrupt in the middle of our house getting finished. His dumptruck was repo'd out of my front yard

Talk to an architect first. Based on what you want to do an architect can give you an idea of what the construction costs will be. Conversely, if there is a budget that you need to stick with they can let you know what you can do for that amount and steer you away from something complicated that will drive up costs.

We were quoted $167 a square foot for new contruction/add on to existing house. We opted to have the contractor redo our kitchen first and we *hope* to add the room on later in the year. The kitchen redo starts Monday.