The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default More Schleese Questions

I am having a Schleese HK trial saddle sent to me. It was suggested by Kristin. My mare is built uphill with long, wide withers and an average length back.
    Kristin looked at pics and paperwork from current saddler DK and feels the HK would be best for my mare. This mare is extremely back sensitive.

I know someone who has a wave for sale too. Probably much cheaper :-) than a brand new HK.

What are the differences in the saddles? Is Kristin right the HK is built for a special horse? she said uphill horses are the hardest to fit. Am I just lucky that my mare might need the most expensive model they sell??

Thanks for any input! I am a Schleese newbie!

I have a Wave for a horse who is fairly level and I think I heard that the HK was based on the Wave. I checked the Schleese web site and it doesn't really say anything about which saddles fit what types of horses except for the Triumph which is good for short backed horses (and I do have one for my short backed horse).

If you can try the Wave, I would do it, just to see how it fits and how your mare reacts.

Did anyone mention trying the Flair panels for you're horse's back sensitivity? I think the independent panels on the HK and Wave would also be good for that.

Thanks for the info. She is currently in a DK with flair panels.

Honestly, I started seriously thinking today of selling this mare. She has had every medical test possible, even a full nuclear body scan and she is healthy yet she hates you to touch her back.

At any rate, dressage is probably the worst career for a horse that doesn't want her back messed with.

She loves hunters and when you ride her hunt seat she is happy as a bug in a rug. I am thinking maybe she needs to be a nice little hunter.

I bought a HK over the Wave. I had a Triumph but that one rubbed me raw in 5 *FIVE* different spots. OUCH! Not happy with that one. I don't even want to explain how I ended up with a semi custom saddle that didn't fit me!!!

I wasn't going to consider a Schleese again given that grief but I live in the boondocks and they actually come out here to fit saddles so I traded it in on the HK. From what I gather from my saddler (not Kristin) is that the HK is the Wave, but it comes with more "options." It has a cutback flap for shoulder room and the panels have more surface area against the horse to stabilize the saddle on the back. Mine is not flair panels - I don't like them. I do feel though for that price the HK should come with heated/air conditioned seats, built-in navigational unit and sway control.

So far so good with the saddle fit. I've gone hungry though because I can't afford food anymore.

OMG you are so funny! I can totally relate :-)

I figure I'll try it. It breaks my heart to think of selling her but I've done everything.

I honestly think I'm too obsessive to keep her. I'll forever worry about her back.

Every day I rub my hands down both sides to check her. She sees me coming and she's like, "oh, here we go again."