The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Ooh, I would be interested, especially if I can be considered for a 3rd or 2nd flight type of group. I have hunted before but it has been, well, going on a decade ago now--yikes!

However, I'm remembering that in spring 2009 I wanted to join a COTH group for a horsey camp/gathering and ended up having to miss due to major surgery -- hope I don't jinx myself for this gathering!

Man, I miss a couple of days and this post runneth over! I can do the weekend of the 19th...but it's beginning to look like a big crowd, so if we end up with two weekends worth of CotH people, I can be flexible. I've also been blessed with an extra week of vacation in 2011, so if there's a crowd I can try coming early and hunting Tuesday.
    DH says he will check his calendar, see if he will come along & cook again.
    Canteronin, I see you're in New England, you can pm me if you think you're going & we can carpool..I'm in CT.
    Anyone who wants to know how wonderful your first time can be...(Hunting that is...that OTHER first time was no big deal, if you ask me) ..feel free to pm or email me. I went in October and had an absolute blast, was well cared for by Hunter's Rest and the rest of the CotH gang.
    The hunt crowd is absolutely the best! whicker, are you getting dragged into being the email commandant again? And where's BigBayTB?

Okay so - my MOH and I won't be bringing our horses, but I am a seasoned foxhunter and I will have her out on one or two locally before heading over for this sha-bang. Neither one of us are green riders either (obv).

I'll send a PM to Hunter's Rest for the details I suppose.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Dumb question: What does MOH mean?

maid of honor
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

This is sounding like so much fun. I would like to come, but am rehabbing my horse from an injury. I'm not sure I will have her far enough along to be ready to hunt mid March. Plus the fact that I haven't ridden for 6 months. I have only hunted once-opening meet with Deep Run, 3rd flight last season. Aside from the fact that it rained the whole meet, my horse was perfect and went in a hackamore. The weather was so dang crappy last year that I never got another chance to go out due to work and so many canceled meets. KPF, don't feel bad about being nervous, I am nervous too after a bad fall years ago. I can ride my own horse, but am very tenative about riding a horse I don't know.

For folks who can't make this get together, or who aren't quite ready to take the plunge, no need to fret.

If you'd like to try the sport, or see how your horse does in groups, coming out at the height of the season may be overwhelming. Or just inconvenient.

In the off season, hunt clubs offer trail rides, some offer clinics, others offer schooling sessions. Some clubs offer a "meet the hounds", or invite trail riding participants out on hound walks/roading, etc.

Usually the club advertises/announces their activities but I'm not sure there is a single place a person can look to see a complete schedule for an area/region.

Maybe what we can do is use COTH for those announcements (if permitted by the moderator)- and then if a COTH poster wants to come out, if he/she wants they can be matched with a foxhunting COTH poster if one is available.

Foxhuntingmatch.com.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Waterglen, Whicker, JSwan, and HuntersRest,

You guys are gonna need to make a lot of Kool-Aid!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Maybe what we can do is use COTH for those announcements (if permitted by the moderator)- and then if a COTH poster wants to come out, if he/she wants they can be matched with a foxhunting COTH poster if one is available.

Foxhuntingmatch.com.
    What a great idea! I wonder if we could make it a sticky at the top of this forum?

Talking I'm in too! Natcherly!!

The Hunting Princesses strike again!
    We are preparing a new group of initiates! woooo hooooo!
    I'm in!! And I can provide a "quaint" (ghetto farm!) place to stay for 2 people or more if you like couches! I'll feed ya even. I'm 2 miles to Warrenton and about 8 miles from Whicker and 14 from Hunters Rest. Have 2 stalls & separate field and a guest room. I plan to ride a greenie in the 3rd flight or car follow as my conditions allow.
    All attendees invited to come bassett hunting with the Ashland Bassets Hunt at 2pm on Sunday. Tailgate or Tea after. Be there or be square. Great activity for your non-riding guests if you bring any!
    Hunting Princesses Rule!!

Hmmm... I'm interested too. Sounds like a blast!

I'll see Lynn at Ridgecrest. Maybe I can interest her in a Western Ladies COTH Weekend.

Oh my goodness.... this sounds like SUCH fun!!! I got to hunt for half a season when we were stationed in Virginia... and I miss it terribly. The people were wonderful, horses were wonderful (I wholeheartedly agree... nothing better than a good hunting horse! The one I rode was so amazing, he made me cry) and the hounds and foxes are fascinating and thrilling to watch. You will all have such a good time!!!

(If I had not just bought myself a horse... I would totally want to come join you!) You must all post stories and pictures of your adventures, please!
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    I'm glad the Fall extravaganza inspired a request for more!

I would love to see all the cothers again and add some newbies to our jolly band. Have tiaras, will hunt, is our motto!

Betsy is the one to check with on the training levels needed for green horse or rider. I took my dressage diva on her first hunt hilltopping at the fall hunt. I had done a lot of homework with her before it to get ready. Timely Impulse I hope will bring another greenie to hang out with me. Our hilltopping group is great fun, since Betsy takes such thoughtful care of us. She even arranges the fox to come by so we can see him up close..
    Hey Whicker! I'm not sure what I'll have by then, but I hope to have something to ride!

Default I'm on the expedition to Washington State U

Just so my hunting comrades in crime know, Mason and I left today on the trail to grad school in astro-biology. I'm currently ensconced in Charleston W Va. waiting for room service from the local pizza palace. It is fun driving, hearing his music and talking foxhunting.
    Beverley and MountainBelle, I think he will be game for adventuring with you to Lynn's. I'm sure the sky will be suitable for star gazing and making astronomical calculations, after your sedate dinners.. He may discover new life forms after some of your concoctions, too.
    I'll check for posts in the evenings, so I apologize in advance for being slow to respond to your breathless repartee.

Default yes!

Any room for the scruffy red pony? And if not, when can we doing another hunter pace?!

Wink Rut-roh......

I just noticed the title of this thread is "ladies" foxhunting......I wanna let any gentlemen joing the Hunting Princesses also...I mean...If they can handle tiara wearing? Then they're in! Right? Hunting Princes!! Ya'll come!! But you'll have to hold our horses.....

I spoke to Hunter's Rest via PM and it sounds like her horses are all full up .

Would anyone be gratious enough to loan out two hunters to two very experienced riders? (one an avid foxhunter -me- and the other will have been on a hunt or two by the time this comes up).

If not - I asked Hunter's Rest about possibly doing a mother/daughter weekend with us sometime in late Feb/March if anyone would be interested in that as well (and if it's okay with Betsy!).
    Friend of bar.ka!

Not true that we're *full* -- not full 'til we get absolute positive confirmation for hunt peeps. And with as much resources as we've got around here (other horses, other places to stay) it would be impossible to be 'full.'
    Most hunts continue thru March so we've got plenty o'time.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Have we solidified the date to March 19th? Just making sure before I start making plans around this date.

I'm excited to meet some more COTHers. I'm sure it will prove to be as much fun as the last one!

Is this going to become and annual or bi-annual event?!