The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Mortebella, your guy sounds wonderful, a really fun horse...at least for someone brave enough to stay with his level of energy, which you clearly are. I think we need pictures!
    You mentioned Tryon...is that Tryon in Pomfret, CT? If so, perhaps we're close enough to meet up sometime. I went to the Intro to Foxhunting clinic at Tryon last fall, and may attend again this year with a new friend who wants to try foxhunting.
    Thanks Hinderella, he really is the bee's knees, as far as his momma's concerned anyway. I'm no great shakes as a rider after 29 years away, and he really is a kind horse. No vice, no buck no rear no spook no kick no nuthin' but yeah, a pretty huge gas pedal, so he was perfect for me, 'cause even though I didn't have much in the way of skills, old jumper riders get bored pretty quickly if there's not a little excitement in there somewhere Not a good trait in a re-rider really, buuuut...there it is. So it was a great match. I don't have any really great pictures, but a few are here. http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/cocreate/

I've gotten some really good advice lately on helping him feel better and I'm going to take that seriously and pursue it, so I'm feeling optimistic for Mr. Whiskey.

The Tyron I was speaking of is North Carolina - unfortunately pretty far away from CT. So sad. I'd love to have more h/j buddies in my area...

Beautiful pictures, Mortebella. A horse with a good "go" is fun...as long as they have some "whoa" to go with it, when you need it. My pony loves the feel of speed, especially around corners

it looks as though I had a bit of dyslexia...up here it's Tryon, down there you have Tyron....oh well. It is hard to find adult re-rider friends, and I don't really know why. There seem to be a lot of us!

No, I typo'd. It really is Tryon. That can happen awfully easily, especially late at night. Here is one of my favorite things http://www.fence.org/ I would hate to leave the friends I have in JC though...

And thanks about the pictures, even though most are kinda rough, I think he's awful purdy

Thumbs up Loverly!

Timely Impulse! I love those pictures! Is that you? It's not me! I love that chestnut!

Cool An apology for the lack of news from the front

For those of you who breathlessly follow our progress, I apologize for the break of news. I've had eye surgery and have had trouble getting my computer to behave and stand still long enough to type.

Then there is the on going rebellion of the keyboard. The "V" key bolted, bucking off the board entirely, hitting critters as it went. When corralled and returned, it has steadfastly refused to stay on the board. It was put in an isolation stall, in case it was contagious.

The space bar has gotten sullen and withdrawn from the herd. It balked and refused to move when asked.

Naturally, I went to the source of all sound advice and requested help on the off course forum. The coth sages gave me things to try, then concluded that I need on the ground help.

I finally was able to find a natural p.c. guru trainer to lay hands, mental acuity, and a tinfoil hat to assess the situation. After a couple of glasses of a very nice red wine to encourage the guru to sharpen his intuitive preceptions, he focused on the situation.

The classic methods didn't work for him, either. Staying low in his seat, he waved Magik tweezers and used a Spesul headlight flash light. ( super expensive items from his website at Home Depot and Sally's hair and make-up wholesale).

The whole keyboard went into a frenzy of rebellion. The herd mentality took over. It was frightening to watch. He stayed outwardly calm, as he worked to restore order. Eventually, many of the keys settled.

The original culprits were still as difficult as before, but more entrenched, thinking that they had gathered more to their separate new herds. Some, like all of the mouse keys, had crises of indecision, and dashed from not working, to working, to dwelling, or going into parts unknown in the far reaches of the whole screen.

After another round of libations, he announced the problem solved. I needed a more suitable and co-operative string. I needed his professionally, trained-to-a-higher-level keys, in order to advance in my goals of working on the all important CotH hunt.

He had ordered a new keyboard, from Dell. The warranty still was in effect, too!
    Last edited by whicker; Feb. 26, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Got outside help from gallant DH to proof read

Talking Oh for cryin' out loud!!

Oh Good Grief whicker! I HATE it when you use the computer and the pink sparkley flask at the same time!! HATE it!! Yeah, blame it on the poor V key and herd mentality.....me thinks it's all you dear princess!! But we loves ya anyways so.....carry on!! (WG waves her pearls, sniffs, adjusts her tiara and looks dismissively!)

Methinks that perhaps Whicker will need a T-shirt, or perhaps a tiara, emblazoned with the letter "V" in honor of the missibg letter.
    Or perhpas this could be a whole episode of Sesame Street?

Ok, y'all, I just had a whole big - REALLY cute, and REALLY funny - post typed out and ready, and I swear my computer or COTH ate it, one. Without help from any letter V or sparkly flask. But there is a ghost in the machine, and it doesn't want you to know how brilliant I am.

OK, Mortebella, now you've gotten us curious, you'll just have to type it out again. My problem is trying to type on the iPad keyboard. I'm used to touch tyoibg, but there's nothing to touch! Or, rather it's all touch and no real keys. So you'll have to excuse the odd spellings and typos, please.

I tried to get the pony out of the snowy arena today, but she was a little too feisty for a bareback trail ride. I was thinking brief walking trail ride.....she was thinking WooHoo, the gate is open and I'm FREEEEEEE!!

It was wet and soggy here, as usual...Mr. Whiskey said, no, I don't DO mud on these ankles any more, no thank you. Sigh. He did not like even trotting in the nice soft barn aisle tonight; he usually likes that.

The post, I'm just too lazy to recreate it. It had to do with a friend of mine dumping coke on her keyboard, but having NO IDEA why it wouldn't work. The look on her natural keyboardmanship guru's face as he turned said keyboard upside down and poured coke out. That kind of thing. Not that Whicker's pink sparkly flask would ever waste its contents on common office equipment. If her extra spayshul "crep" is at all like my extra spayshul "crep" it's just waiting til she wears a vintage peau de soie bias cut gown from the 1930's, or something. THEN it's spill, baby, spill, oh yeah! But on a Dell keyboard under warrenty? It never happened. )) And please be mindful to pronounce "crep" with the proper down-the-nose, vaguely indeterminate European accent, or I might become aware that all my extra spayshul stuff is really "crap," which it really is LOL. That was the gist of it.

And I made them get a keyboard for the iPad at work...can't STAND typing on it...

Also, I wanted to point out that anytime a keyboard goes rogue to the point of having to get a new one, you get to do one of my favorite computer games with it...called HULK SMASH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    I'm sooo glad you are going to join us! Now if we can get Mountain Bells from Montana and Carrie K out of Michigan this Fall, we are going to have to start writing books about our adventures..
    I'm looking for the puffy pants and the tiara, so come hell or high water I'll be there.

edited to add: To V or not to V: so get that keyboard fixed! Because you can't write "Ewerybody but CarrieK was wery wery drunk" with no V!!!

Well, unless you're in Sowiet Russia.
    Last edited by CarrieK; Feb. 28, 2011 at 04:40 AM.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    And if Carrie K EVER comes to ole Virginny?!! She stays with ME!!!
    Rockin! Cause you'll love me as a house guest!

I was just attempting to think about regalia...
    It seems that pearls get mentioned a lot...
    How about adding pearls to the regalia in honor of CarrieK?
    We can do an honorary "clutching of the pearls" rite for her....
    Dahlin! Pearls with a coat of tweed, it started quite a riot
    Last edited by CarrieK; Feb. 28, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: to mention that's a quote and a pic lifted from Singin' in the Rain. But I do look like that In Real Life.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    And I have no doubt George Morris would gasp in horror and faint dead away
    Well, he is the original pearl-clutcher of the H/J world.

Wow. Everybody with pics and all. As you can see by this 5th post in a row, I'm desperate for friends--erm, I would like to share with you some photos.

My horse Drummer.

Me rockin the puffy pants.

Okay, that's not me. But it could be.

Default Is it too late to sign up?

Sar 2008,
    sent you a p.m.

Sar 2008,
    sent you a p.m.
    I didn't get it

sar got the p.m. a few minutes later...

"Patience!!! It is a virtue." I tell myself that over and over again as my own little mantra.