The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Toilet Training Cats?

Has anyone done it?
    Urban myth?

My boys are 1.5 and 3 and I would really like to not spend the next 15 years cleaning litterboxes if I can find another solution.

How did you do it? Websites to read? Majikal products to use?
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I have read about toilet-trained cats in cat-care books. Since I didn't remember any titles to refer you to, I Googled "toilet training cats." I got several hits.

Let me know if you find any helpful info! One of my kitties already uses the toilets as a backup water bowl; maybe if I could get her to use them for other things maybe she would stop drinking out of them!

I don't really mind scooping litter boxes--whenever I do mind, I just remind myself it's not a 12x12 box stall requiring major muscle power and a wheelbarrow!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

My sister's neighbor at the beach had a toilet trained cat. Mine all use it as their prefered source of water so I don't think they would cooperate.

My lab partner toilet-trained his. He said he began by placing the litter box on the floor next to the toilet, then on a book next to the toilet, then slowly stacked books underneath it until it was the same height as the toilet. He next placed the litter box on top of the closed toilet lid. For the next step he said he fit a large bowl into the toilet itself and filled it with litter, then gradually decreased the quantity of litter in the bowl until there wasn't any, and finally just took away the bowl. Hasn't figured out how to get her to flush yet though!
    Last edited by lizajane09; Dec. 27, 2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo

My sister did! She did what lizajane did pretty much. Her husband fastened something made for potty training kids (so they dont fall through. I cant remember exactly how it was rigged, but I remember a tin pie pan (the throw away kind) and having to remove it to use the bathroom your self during the training time.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

There's a company out there somewhere that sells a kit. It has everything you need to do the gradual transition lizajane09 described.

I was going to do this once; until I read that sometimes the cats leave a mess on the toilet seat...like "skid marks". I really didn't want to deal with that. ick!

My friend's husband trained their two young cats to use the toilet. Didn't last long, however. They lived in a one bathroom apartment at the time and they quickly realized that they were not ok with waiting for the cat to finish so that the humans could use the facilities.

I have. I used this to train my kitty: http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/ha...762545/1/1.jpg

The one I used was clear plastic. Per the directions, I put in litter to cover the plastic at first, then gradually lessened the amount of litter until there was no litter on the plastic, then removed the plastic. It worked!

To avoid skids on the seat, you might try leaving the seat up. My cat was trained with the seat up, so you may need to decide to leave the seat up or down as you're training and stick with that.

My kitty used the toilet for years. It was fantastic not having to deal with smelly litter! No one believed me, so somewhere I have a photo of him using the toilet. Every so often, a guest would be surprised to find my big fat orange tabby tinkling in the toilet.

McShred was an awesome cat, though. He retrieved rubber bands, like a dog with a ball, and liked to skateboard too.

I have 4 cats.

I have had cats since I was born.

I have been cleaning litter pans for 40 years or so.

I think it's time to toilet train some cats.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

As a non-cat person, I find the practice gross. We were invited to a friend of the SIL's house one time and the cats were trained to use the guest bathroom. I went to use the bathroom and it was gross. Cats don't know how to flush.

Well, obviously this works better when one has enough commodes in the house to keep the kitties out of the guest bath.

And ya know what? Life is gross. And animals aren't doing it to skeeve you out.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

My DH's xmas present this year was this:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php

I'm waiting till our house guests leave to start "training". I honestly cannot wait to be litterbox-free!

Quote Originally Posted by HunttoLive View Post
    As a non-cat person, I find the practice gross. We were invited to a friend of the SIL's house one time and the cats were trained to use the guest bathroom. I went to use the bathroom and it was gross. Cats don't know how to flush.
    Mr. Jinxy can flush so I'm sure it can be taught

I did that, with the kit and it was easy.
    Don't teach flushing, they will do it all day long.

Here is proof:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1293563082

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    My friend's husband trained their two young cats to use the toilet. Didn't last long, however. They lived in a one bathroom apartment at the time and they quickly realized that they were not ok with waiting for the cat to finish so that the humans could use the facilities.
    Just quit putting the old issues of Cat Fancy and Purrple in the bathroom reading rack, and that should lessen the time the cats spend in the bathroom.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique