The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ovation melton hunt coats?

Anyone have one? How do they run size wise and how are the sleeves, long/short?

Are they warm? What's the warmest brand?

Tx

I have one... I love it... looks good, very warm. As for sizing, I think it runs just a hair big and my sleeves are wicked long. I don't mind the sleeve length because they don't get in the way!

Default Ovation Melton Coats

Quote Originally Posted by Elegante E View Post
    Anyone have one? How do they run size wise and how are the sleeves, long/short?

Are they warm? What's the warmest brand?

Tx
    I have one....actually never wore it....lost some weight and its way too big now....I think it would have been very warm tho...seems heavy...

I have one. For the $$ it's quite nice. I found mine on sale for about $115.

It runs slightly larger and it's toasty warm.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have one!! Really nice and warm and the size fit me true to what I usually wear in a coat. A REAL bargain!! And it looks very nice, too.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I don't know but if anybody needs a mid-weight size 6 frock I need to find a new home for.

The frock coat, can you pm me about it? Price?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Default love mine!

I love my Ovation melton. It was a gift last year, and it really changed how I felt about my casual (always freezing) hunting. Now I could concentrate on the fun. I bought a new horse, joined the Hunt, and have had a ball this year!
    The sizing is fine for me, and my arms are a touch long for many things, but the sleeves are perfectly correct for me.

I have an "Ovation" Melton that was sold as a "heavy wt, 20 oz", it is indeed heavy. The label says it was made in Romania. Well, I ordered a second one (to have one w/o colors) and this one was labeled Made in China. It was definitely lighter wt,though probably could still be called a "heavy wt" for more southern climates and the sleeves and length of the back was 1 inch shorter, though they are both the same size. It was enough lighter wt that I sent it back as I need as heavy wt one as they come.

So, if it is made in Romania, then it will be a heavier wt one than the new Ovations made in China.

I bought one when Tack of the Day had them really cheap. I realized that in my enthusiasm, I had put my buttons and colors on all my black hunt coats and might need a plain one for capping. I haven't used it yet but it seemed warm and fit me well. Seems like they used British sizing rather than American. You can usually find a size chart on line somewhere. The deal on tack of the day was tough to beat.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

to what I understand, Ovation changed their vendor to the Chinese one..thus the lighter weight. I have one of the heavier Meltons...went to purchase another a year later and that is when I found the lighter coat..which was not what I needed
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

I bought one a month ago and got one that had the Romania tag. It is heavy weight. I got it from Horseloverz.

Another bump of an old thread as I shop around. Has anyone tried one of these lately? They look to bit a bit pricier than in years past ($189 on HorseLoverZ) but still not outrageous.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

If you do a google search for the Ovation hunt coats on Google, you can find them cheaper than at HorseLoverz.

I have one, mine does a decent job. I will definitely get a nicer one in the future, but it is a good starter or good backup coat. The sizing definitely is European sizing. I have very long arms and they are a touch shorter than I'd like, but definitely workable.

FWIW, mine says it was made in India. I'm not sure I'd call it a true heavy weight, though it was sold as being a 20oz weight.

The ones with the made in Romania tag are the true heavy wt Melton.

If you are a tall, then order the long and this should cover the sleeves being a tich to short.

I feel for the price it is a great coat.

Yes, eventually you may want to get a nicer coat, one that has a sleeker fit, but still warm.

I found one of the Ovation ones for $70 (open box item, it had been returned). It makes a great guest coat or a coat to use if you are capping at another hunt and they prefer for you to NOT wear you colors.

Thought I'd give this a bump as I just got one from Horseman's Outlet in NJ which is one of the heavy one's from Romania.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

I got mine (made in India) for $80, open box returned item from Horseloverz. I love it! It did run large, sleeves long, and incorrect buttons (black fox mask instead of plain). Way cheaper than any other new melton coat I could find, even after getting alterations to fix all those issues. It's warm. I also often wear it to work in lieu of a blazer during the winter, since my office doesn't get much heat!
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Get one that fits in the shoulders, sleeves and overall length, then if it needs a bit if nipping in at the tailor, not a huge deal...