The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jingles Dog Drank Antifreeze - He is Home!

My stock dog drank antifreeze this morning. Prayers & jingles please!

We had just fed the riding stock. Continued our normal routine & went on to the shop. He did his normal running around looking for mice. And for some reason he decided to drink antifreeze from the recycle barrel.

Thank God I saw him, & rushed immediately to the cow vet. By the grace of God I drove up literally as the vet was pulling out. Another literal few seconds & I would have missed him-both seeing the dog drink & getting there before the vet had pulled out.

Vet would not let me stay. He was inducing vomiting, & the rest will go from how much it appeared the dog injested.

So now it is a horrible waiting period for me.

In all my years I have never had anything like this happen. And as I am aging I am depending more & more upon the dog to make sure life in pastures goes safely.

Jingles needed.

TIA
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; Dec. 27, 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: update on situation
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Jingles.

Hope your dog pulls thru!

Oh no, hope your dog didnt drink too much! Does your vet have 4MP? If not, diluted vodka CTI IV works well too.

I really hope your vet gets working on yur dog ASAP. We have seen 5 cases this month and ,all of them survived. They get gastric lavages, diuresis, 4MP and are hospitalized for at least 2 days.

Good thing you saw it happen though, hopefully the emesis will get rid of all the antifreeze and there will be little absorption!!! How much did he drink? I had a little pomeranian that took a lick of antifreeze tat was dropped in the snow. He was not treated (unfortunatley had stage 4 lymphoma as well), and believe it or not, had absoltuley no damage to his kidneys. However...it was just a very very small amount. He died 2 weeks later due to the lymphoma, not the antifreeze.

Jingles!!!

Oh I hope you got there fast enough.
    My aunt/uncle/cousins' little dauschund drnk antifreeze years ago and survived as they got her to the vet in time.

I've never had a dog or cat drink it. It is supposed to taste "sweet" and so if I spill any, I immediately put cat litter on it in in the garage as i don't want the squirrels and birds getting into it.
    It must taste Ok as the former secretary at the DA's office in north Georgia killed 2 men with it before one victim's family got suspicious.

I hope your dog is OK.

Jingles!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I am so sorry, I hope your dog makes it through, I hope he didn't drink too much.

Antifreeze cases are NOT fun, we had some spill and our dog, both cats, and out skunk all got it! The vet could not treat the skunk(or even test him to see if he got it), so my mom and I (10 at the time) went to a store (after midnight) to get some alcohol so we could do what we can for our skunk. They would not sell it to us because it was after 12am. I started crying saying that stinky was going to die, and we couldn't save him, then the clerk changed the date on the computer and sold the alcohol! HA HA. All critters survived.

I am sure your dog can pull through, you caught him early! I think that is where most people end up losing pets because they don't know until they see symptoms, then it's too late.

My prayers are with you!

Jingling for you and your dog.You acted fast so things should go well for both of you.Waiting really is the hard part.Please keep us posted.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Jingles for a speedy recovery.
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

You acted quickly. I hope your dog pulls through!!!!

Sending you jingles and praying for your good dog.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Jingling for your dog. My dog ingested DeCon rat poisoning last week and I caught her in the act, thus she only ate a small portion. She was a good 45 lbs and we induced vomiting with her. She is doing quite well and I am hoping your dog comes out as well as mine did.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Hugs and Jingles. How scary....wish they could make that stuff so dogs weren't drawn to the taste.

Please keep us posted.

Jingles from California from me and my old doggie Buster. Buster is always getting in trouble for easting and drinking things that are bad for him. I hope your guy will be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Jingling for your dog. My dog ingested DeCon rat poisoning last week and I caught her in the act, thus she only ate a small portion. She was a good 45 lbs and we induced vomiting with her. She is doing quite well and I am hoping your dog comes out as well as mine did.
    Keep a bottle of Vitamin K on hand, per my vet when my father's bird dog ate a poisoned rat at a hunt.

Jingles and prayers for your dog.

More jingles and prayers for your dog
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I still cannot get an answer out of the vet staff about how my dog is & their office closes in another 20 minutes.

The rest of the day has gone nearly as wrong. When it comes time for, "This Is Your Life," I hope they flat out omit this day.

And thank you everyone for all the prayers for the dog.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Jingles for your dog. Gawd a mercy, I am ready for a new year.

Jingles! Hope everythihg got done in time and your dog makes a good recovery.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Default JINGLES & AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~

Jingles for your dog ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"