The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Saddles - Symmetry vs Stabilizer vs Pro-Fit?

Interested in hearing thoughts on the differences between the various County saddles, particularly between the Symmetry and the Stabilizer. My understanding is that the Symmetry was the forerunner to the Stabilizer, but I haven't found too much in my searches.

Thoughts?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Default Go with the Stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Interested in hearing thoughts on the differences between the various County saddles, particularly between the Symmetry and the Stabilizer. My understanding is that the Symmetry was the forerunner to the Stabilizer, but I haven't found too much in my searches.

Thoughts?
    I have ridden in all three and they are all a little different. I think it depends a lot on what kind of riding you do and what fits your body the best. The Stabilizer is my all time favorite. I have owned quite and few and it is always my go-to saddle. It is amazingly comfortable and well balanced and there are lots of options for the flap lengths and positions so that it can be made to work for just about anyone.

The Pro-Fit has a flatter, narrower seat and a naturally longer flap that didn't work well for my short-ish leg. It is the only County model I have ever ridden in that was not comfortable, although that could have been because it really didn't fit my conformation at all. If you have a long leg you might like it. It is a bit like some of the old school hunter type saddles.

I owned one Symmetry and liked it, but not as much as the Stabilizers (although it fit the horse well). It has a more forward flap and blocks, so is not as close contact in feel as the Stabilizer. I am pretty sure the Symmetry became the Conquest, not the Stabilizer.

You might try the Innovation if you can find one. It is a newer model. I got to try it with one of the County reps and really liked it, although I don't have a need for another saddle right now. It is modeled more like some of the trendy French hunter/jumper saddles and it really comfortable as well.

Good luck!
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

I've had both a Symmetry and a Stabilizer.

I like them both a lot, but they are different. The Symmetry is more built up, at least the one I have. Big knee and thigh blocks. The flap on the one I have isn't quite long enough for my leg, so it causes some interesting things to happen while jumping. Still, I felt very secure in it - very easy to two point in even though the alignment was a bit off. It ended up being the (very) wrong shape for my new horse's back, so it's hanging out in my saddle closet now. (along with my old Stablizer... I should probably work on selling them both!)

I also have a Stabilizer, as mentioned. It's also very, VERY comfortable and wonderful to ride in. It has few bells and whistles; there's not much thigh block. I really liked it. I keep hoping I'll get a horse with a giant wide back so I can use it again! I found it slightly more difficult to get into two point, but since I used the saddle primarily for flatting it was absolutely no big deal and wasn't even on my list of criteria when I bought it. I had a girl trial it who thought it was the dreamiest thing of all time.

When I bought my Symmetry I asked people on here for comparison... everyone seemed to think they ride differently, and they do. They're both comfortable, though, and both nice quality. In the end it's up to what you are comfortable riding in! Some people think one is horrible and the other amazing. I found them both comfortable and easy enough to ride in.

I ended up with a Symmetry by chance. I needed a new saddle for a high withered nightmare. My saddle fitter thought she sent a Stabilizer down, but it turned out to be the Symmetry. I had tried a Symmetry about a year ago and I did not like it. I was used to the deep seated saddles. I ended up with a Pessoa which I really did like for a while until it didn't fit the horse. I reluctantly retried the Symmetry. So glad I did, very balanced and fits both of us well. The seat is flatter, but I feel very secure in it. The flap is plenty forward enough for my long leg, but not so much that I can't do very nice flat work in it. Good luck with finding a Stabilizer, there were none to be found when I was looking.

I love love my Pro-fit. I don't think they make them anymore unless you ask. I am long-legged, so maybe thats why I prefer it over the stabilizer. The stabilizer is okay, but not really my kinda saddle. On the right horse sure, but in general it always put me in a chair seat.

I haven't ridden in a symmetry as thats there newest design I believe.

I have my Pro-fit for 10 years now and I love it. If you can find one, its worth a try.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

The Symmetry is actually discontinued, Beethoven. I'm not entirely certain when they stopped making it, but the only available ones out there are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    The Symmetry is actually discontinued, Beethoven. I'm not entirely certain when they stopped making it, but the only available ones out there are used.
    O, I know the Pro-fit is also or was last I checked. O, the innovation is their newest one then?
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

I rode my friend's horse in her County Symmetry, and that saddle just ruined every other saddle I own! It definitely put me in a much better position than my other saddles, and was comfortable to ride in, even on a super wide big draft cross.

You can still order a Symmetry from County, if you insist, but it is not in their current lineup anymore. I ended up ordering a Conquest after trying it, and it will be arriving today.

Anyway, the 14 week wait was too long to have kept foxhunting in, as my other saddle was twisting on my horse, and no amount or kind of padding was changing it, so I had found a used Stabilizer to use until my new one came in, and absolutely love that one too. Not as much knee roll as the Conquest or Symmetry, but really puts you in a good position for jumping/two point.

I'd be interested to know if the Pro-Fit has definitely been discontinued. There's on on ebay right now that I think must be counterfeit--it's labeled "new with tags" and looks brand new, but the serial number has it as a 1999 model, and the panels look like skid-row to me, but aren't stamped that on the flap. It's the 17 inch one that is called "newmarket" in color. The stamp also doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm no expert. There's also a black one out there, too, and something doesn't seem quite right about that one, either.

Patricia at Murphy's Sporthorses (google her) is awesome, and she has some Stabilizers and such for sale. They are beautiful and in great shape, and reasonably priced.

I have a used 07 Innovation that I got earlier this year, and I LOVE it. I got it for $2500. Over the years I have owned and ridden extensively in a Crosby XL, a Barnsby Whitaker, and several Antares saddles. They all definitely had pluses, but the Innovation is by far my fave--the balance is just incredible, and my horse goes SO much better, freer through the shoulder and through in the back, than in the Antares I had just prior to buying this saddle. I wasn't even looking for a new saddle, but the rep was out for a barnmate of mine, and I'd been thinking about trying one. WOW. What a difference. After that trial of about an hour, I came away knowing I'd have to sell my Antares and get one of these Countys. Antares is super-comfy, but the foam flocking meant that as my horse changed shape (and my old horse, now retired, is a different shape from my current riding horse) I had to trade them in for new ones. My Whitaker was great, but put me in something of a chair seat. I don't have much memory of the XL, except that it was beautiful but didn't fit my horse. I did try a variety of Black Country saddles this summer prior to buying my County, and they are GREAT, but the twist felt a little too wide for my taste. Still, they fit the horses beautifully, are very high quality, are very comfy, and are wool-stuffed. I liked the Ricochet the best (jumper/eq); the Quantum leather felt too fragile to me on the flap for my taste, and the
    other one (I forget the name at the moment) was a little too much saddle for me in terms of knee roll and stuffing in that area for flatting, but was awesome for jumping.

Trumbull Mtn Tack Shop will send them out to you to try for 2 weeks start to finish, and they are absolutely great to work with. You might try out a Black Country before making a decision. New, they are about 2200 bucks; half the price of a new County.

A lot of people LOVE CWD, and they are beautiful saddles. The only trouble I've heard of is the lead time in ordering them, and that more than a few times the custom-ordered saddle doesn't fit the horse it was ordered for.

You might also consider trying a slightly older (ie 2000-2007ish) Stubben
    Edelweiss or Roxane and see if anything fits you and your horse--they are really well-priced used, and are very, very comfy. And they last forever! Several trainers thought that the heavier Black Country saddle I rode in (the one that I can't remember the name of) was a Stubben.

Good luck!

calgirl50 Guest

Where do you live? Do you still have the Stabilizer? I have been trying to ride in one now for some time, and haven't been able to find one my size 17.5 with a wide tree. I even emailed the company two weeks ago and no one has even responded! Then I read a review which was incredibly negative about the company customer service(the only bad review I have ever seen) but it makes me nervous-not about the quality, but about getting a new one since I don't think they have a rep here in CT. I have seen numerous Stabilizers on ebay, but have not wanted to get a saddle without riding in it. So regardless of price, I still think the way to go is used because my saddle fitter can work with flocked saddles as long as the tree is suitable.

Additionally, my saddle fitter sells Black Country, and I have tried the Wexford and the GP, but she does not have a Quantum which is the one more suited to our hunter close contact preference. By the way, they are beautiful saddles! Hopefully Trumble Mtn. or Pelham Saddlery will have a used one I can try one of these days.

Meanwhile I am using a friend's ancient Crosby Centennial, which is a really nice saddle as well.

Sorry to bore you with all that, but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear from you, especially if you want to think about selling your Stabilizer with a trial. I really appreciate your comments on the Forum-I have gone to the ends of the earth to find a saddle to fit me and my boy!

I have a Stabilizer XTR on order and am very anxious to get it.

Out of all the County saddles I have ridden in, the Stabilizer XTR is my favorite.

calgirl50 Guest

Thanks-who is your rep and where do you live?

I've always wished I could have tried out an Innovation. I was on the saddle hunt AGAIN (I really need to stick with one horse!) last September and couldn't, for the life of me, get a County rep to come out. I ended up going with Bruno Delgrange, which has been a perfectly suitable (if expensive) alternative. Figure it is County's loss...

Sure miss my Symmetry sometimes, though! Maybe one of these days I'll drag it out and see if I can't find a horse it fits to hack around on