The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone else not want a Kindle/ Nook?

I just don't get the point-
    I love the feel, the smell, the turning the pages etc of real books- Going to the library or the book store and getting lost browsing for an hour or so.
    To me, reading is fun, a break from work- I stare at a computer most of the day and I sure don't want to stare at a screen to read my books.
    Plus there is also that satisfaction of my growing library (I swear one day, I am going to put a formal library in my house)
    I suppose I could see one if you traveled a lot (which I actually do, but will haul along a few pounds of books regardless)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I really prefer actual books too. I love the feel and I like having actual pages to turn.

However, I'm at a stage in my life where I'm moving a lot. A LOT. So packing around a library with me just isn't feasible. Having a Kindle means that I can still have a ton of books, without throwing out my back trying to move them.

Someday though, when I enter real adulthood and I live in one place for longer than 11 months, I will start a library of real live books again.

I'm scared I'll spend too much downloading books. And when I get into a book, pretty much everything else takes a back seat, including sleep.

I have no interest. I look at a computer screen all day, when I want to settle in with a book I don't want to be looking at a screen. If I traveled a lot I would get one, but I would only use it while traveling.

Count me in with you. I like to turn pages and feel the texture of paper.

Oh, I missed the "not" on the first read through and was going to respond enthusiastically that I DO want one! I travel a lot and when home, have trouble sleeping, so I am looking for one that lets me read in bed more comfortably. It's hard to hold the book and deal with whatever readling light I am trying to use. The reading lights die so often that I'm always reading in really dim light or hunting for batteries. I am researching now to see if any of them are backlit so that you don't need an external light.

That said, I do love my actual books and have a large library, but I figure for my light reading I'll be saving some trees....

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The cost for many books is significantly less than buying the physical books themselves. I'm at the point where I want to downsize my life a bit (except for my Blu-Ray collection) so it's definitely a good buy for me.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I actually won a Kindle at my husband's Christmas party a few weeks ago. I'm giving it a try, but I don't think I'll switch.

I love using the library and like you, I love browsing the book store or library for an hour or so. It's fun and relaxing for me to buy a new book, take it home, curl up and just turn the pages. I love the smell and feel of a book, the way the pages sound when they turn... I just don't see myself getting the same satisfaction from hitting the download button!

The one thing I will say the Kindle is great for is the gym. I've been using the elliptical machine a lot and it is SO much easier than propping up a book and turning the pages.

I also love sharing my books with friends. And I don't think you can do that with e-books...

I really enjoy the physical feel of pages and the smell of a new book. Moving them is a pain, but I love having them around me... I guess I'm a sort of book hoarder, heh. But that makes it hard for me to take the plunge into e-readers.

I think for me it's as much about the whole experience of the book as much as it is about the words on the page. Sort of like how the morning coffee routine is about the process, and enjoyment of a warm cup in my hand, as much as (if not more than) the actual jolt of caffeine. heh.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I got a kindle because the bookshelves were overflowing. I didn't think I would like it, but I do.

I don't want one either. I LOVE the feel of a book.
    I go to my local library and if I really like a book then I do buy it, for keeps and so I can lend it to others! I tend to underline / write in my beloved books, too.

The only advantages I concede to kindle-like items is that
    1) they are useful while traveling...but then I actually like browsing the book stores at the airport while waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my flight.
    and 2) they may be useful for people whose eyesight is going downhill since they can enlarge the print.
    Other than that...give me an actual book any day!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I've been trying to convince myself to try one...but my reservations are the same as everyone elses on this thread.

I do want to try one for travel/gym, but I really don't see myself switching over completely- I love regular books way too much.

No Kindle or Nook for me. I am a very fast reader and also love the ability to flick back and forth in a real book. Kindles etc. just slow me down.

I'm another who loves the feel and smell of the real thing.

Plus I purchase a lot of my books from the used bin (think $1 and less) at the local Book Nook. You cannot download books for less. And what happens when the memory's full? You ditch the ones you paid for?

Someone told me a relative was thinking of getting me one for Christmas. I told them "tell them not to, because I'll just return it."

I love real books...reading on an electronic device has its uses but I much prefer a real book!

No desire for one here either. I love the feel, the smell, the look of shelves filled with books. Looking over my shelves is like visiting old friends and I am enjoying introducing them to my daughters. How do you do that with a little hand held device?

When all the new Zenyatta bios hit the shelves, with all of their pictures, who is going to opt to download instead of buy the hard copy? I know illustrations do show up. It just is not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Plus I purchase a lot of my books from the used bin (think $1 and less) at the local Book Nook. You cannot download books for less. And what happens when the memory's full? You ditch the ones you paid for?
    Actually, there are thousands (hundreds of thousands, even) of free books out there. (And not just mediocre titles either.)

When the memory is full, they are either stored on your computer or on Amazon's server, so both of your arguments are null.

(I had the same reservations many of you all do until I got mine and started reading. I still have a bookshelf full of books and I buy real books regularly, but 90% of my reading is done on my Kindle.)

I know of so many people who swear they just couldn't love a Kindle- they love the feel, smell, experience, etc, etc of real books. I love books myself. I'm a life-long reader and book lover.

However....... I adore my Kindle. I love having my favorite books at my fingertips. I love how the Kindle has cut down on the book clutter. I love that when I travel, I can always have something good to read. I love being able to read a review or hear about something interesting- then being able to instantly check it out and order. I love how I can start with a sample for free.

OP, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't try it. Don't worry, you can still love your real books.

My only issue with a Kindle is that if I drop a real book in the toilet, I won't cry nearly as hard as if I drop my Kindle in the toilet.

Just sayin'. Its been known to happen.