The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping a tack trunk?

I have never had to do this before, but I am in need of getting a new trunk shipped from SE Pennsylvania to Lexington KY. It is rather large and will in no way fit in my car on my way back home. It was a gift for christmas at my parents house in PA but my horse and all my things are in Lexington KY.

What are my options? I am weary shipping through a postal company , and honestly, woldn't it cost a fortune? It is rather large and heavy.

I appreciate any opinions or personal experience.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Call a couple of the moving companies (Mayflower, Bekins, etc.) and ask for a quote. You'll need dimensions and approximate weight. These guys handle expensive furniture all the time and will have the blankets and equipment necessary to get it there without a scratch.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I work for a shipping company and yes it will not be cheap and would be best to box it, which I don't know how you can do unless it came in one. But you don't have many options unless you know someone who has a larger vehicle that might be going that way sometime soon.

Check out uship.com -- it's kinda like eBay but for shipping. People bid on transporting your item and you can often get things transported pretty cheaply. My husband used it when shipping his boat from SC to MD and it was great!
    Who is John Galt?

Also call some of the horse transport companies (Brook Ledge, etc.), as they might have a trailer going from PA to KY, and could ship it if they have room (since they often take trunks that belong to horses on the van).
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I have shipped Tack Trunks by FED EX , The packaging part is the most difficult , You need to first at least wrap it in an old blanket, then Build a box around it , Use strapping tape, it is stronger then regular packing tape, then tie packaging rope ( nylon)around it so it can be lifted easier ( you can buy this at any menards or home depot type store ) weigh it, measure it and go to the FED EX website , it will tell you how much it will cost to ship , then have them pick it up at your location , Not a problem for them .. It cost me about $55.00 w/ Insurance for a full size wood trunk. Or you can go to a UPS shipping store where they can package it for you but it will cost you at least double from Fed Ex.

Depends on what size trunk it is. If it is a Phoenix West large trunk (or similar) then you will need to send it via a freight company. Phoenix West sends their large trunks on a pallet.

If it is a medium or smaller trunk it can be shipped via UPS, Fed Ex etc.

I second the van thing as Hubbard has a base out of Lexington and they are used to taking trunks along for the ride You might have to drop it off at a farm and then go pick it up at a farm but that wouldn't be too bad.

Also try the bus system. I know that sometimes they do larger freight like this and it isn't too expensive.

Would it be easier and cheaper to just rent a teeny little u-haul that you can pull behind your car?

I also second seeing if maybe having a horse transport co pick it up for you if they are close.

Thanks everyone. It was a gift from my dad and he custom built it so there is no box for it. It is huge. Bigger than the large one here http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...e-_-NA-_-16297 but the same style (only pink )

I emailed BRook Ledge, and was going to send more out tonight to similar equine shipping companies as I am thinking that may be my cheapest option. I am going to look into everything suggested too though. I have no problem dropping it off at a farm on their route here in pa and picking it up at another farm in KY. I have the ability to move it in the general area here and there as I have other vehicles in both places, but unfortunately I have to take the car I brought with me back

As for the uhaul, its not an option. 1 I dont have any hook up for a hitch at all, not to mention Id never make it up/through the hills/mountains in west virginia and western MD. My car struggles enough on its own :/ stupid bare bones honda civics.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Just be sure to insure it for full value. I shipped a trunk once with FedEx, they lost it. Only got a portion of what it was worth.

You could check with Amtrak. I have no idea how much it would be but it's worth a phone call at least.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371736

Oh, just remembered, you could try Greyhound Bus, they would be the least expensive. I shipped a Victorian porch swing and a French chandelier with them, they have a big storage compartment for shipping right on the bus. If they are convenient for you, it's a good way to go.